Author Topic: .22 Single Six Conversion to .38 or .41 special  (Read 8995 times)

Offline Grizzly Greg

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.22 Single Six Conversion to .38 or .41 special
« on: August 22, 2013, 05:30:57 PM »
Howdy Folks,
Does anyone know of a gunsmith that can convert a Ruger SS 3 screw .22 to either .38 or .41 special?.......other than  Mr Bowen, or Mr Hartman or Mr Clements?......its a project I've always wanted to do and I can't afford to wait 2 yrs to do it. No I don't want to sell these and buy the "baby" vaquero in .32 mag, but I would swap for the above conversions (adding the proper amount of $ to go with it) I have seen some very talented individuals post there work on this and other forums, but none that do it commercially, I was going to have the Smith shop do the conversion but I understand he no longer does this due to health reasons. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Grizz.

my email: ptb0116@aol.com

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: .22 Single Six Conversion to .38 or .41 special
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 04:09:40 PM »

If you are looking for a bargain basement conversion, it just isn't going to happen. Firstly you would need to change out both the cylinder and the barrel, and where are you going to find those parts? Then you are going to need to modify or change the hand to get the gun to time correctly. Then you can consider the complications of converting this gun from rimfire to centerfire. After that you need to be concerned that the frame is strong enough to withstand the forces of the much more powerful cartridges. All in all there are plenty of .38 Specs. Out there that you can get for a whole lot less than what you would pay for this conversion. Or there is the .38 S&W. There are a number of them on sale any day that you can pick up for near $100.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline Grizzly Greg

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 08:42:32 PM »
Obviously I failed to make a point or two, I am not looking for a bargain basement conversion, I want to convert the 3 screw Ruger Single Six's to .38 special, several well known gunsmiths have done this already, the problem is that the time required is measured in yrs or in one case he is not taking any new work until he catches up, 2 plus yrs was the quote .

I have seen folks on this and other forums that have done this conversion or are having it done the most current being the .41 special, I was hoping to find a talented gunsmith who might complete the project in months instead of yrs. I thought this board would give the best chance of finding one.

As I already have several .38 special, Colts, S&W's and Uberti conversions its not a question of just getting a .38 special.

Thanks for your interest .

Grizz.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:18:08 PM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 406
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 12:27:57 PM »
The resulting revolver would have a 5-shot cylinder, which is not likely to be SASS legal, and certainly not NCOWS legal. I've read the articles in gunrags, but it seems more of a vanity than a practical item.  The Uberti 1851 conversion revolver in .38Spl  would seem to give you an off-the-shelf revolver with about the same compactness, historical authenticity and greater usefullness.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Grizzly Greg

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 11:00:15 AM »
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=70330

Ok guys, check out that thread on the Ruger Forum,

Yup Bowen does not do RF to CF conversions  ANYMORE, but he used too
Happy Trails did this conversion until he got sick and shut down his shop, a 6 shot conversion too.
As did Wes Fargo.
Alan Hartman still does it, either with a 5 or 6 shot 38 special cylinder or a 5 shot .41 special on OM 3 screws only though.

And Bowen will do a 5 or 6 Shot conversion on the NM .32 mag single six to 327 federal!

I'm still waiting to here back from Alpha Precesion, and yet to check with Stroh.

The problem is this  is my Bucket list project and the folks who still do this take 18 to 24 months to complete it, I was hoping that one of the more talented ,outside the box type of revolversmiths here in NC would be willing to tackle this job, I intend to shoot them  a few times and pass them on to the grand kids.

They sure would be FUN gamer outlaw style...lol.   

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1159
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 01:49:57 AM »
My Good Grizzly -

Sorry to hear it is a "Bucket List" project, and thus that the timeframe must be short...  :(

You might try contacting HoofHearted
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?action=profile;u=1936
or Raven,
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?action=profile;u=7652

both of whom have taken on some remarkably wacky interesting projects such as LeMat conversions & etc.....

good luck and
via con Dios
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com