Author Topic: Speaking of Buffalo, Thought you folks might like to see this....  (Read 10444 times)

Offline Jayhawker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I work at Maxwell Wildlife Refuge in Central Kansas....I'm one of the buffalo wranglers/tour guides.  The bison are currently in rut and during a tour we saw a pair of dominant bulls square off in a pond.  They are pretty evenly matched in age and size...about 2400 pounds apiece... My guest happened to have is camera pointed in the right direction

The winner ambled off with the cow and the loser went over and tore up a patch of sumac

Life is NOT like a box of chocolates...it more like a jalapeno...what you do today might burn your butt tomorrow...

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Speaking of Buffalo, Thought you folks might like to see this....
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 08:25:37 PM »
Great pictures, thanks for posting them.

Bill

Offline jplower

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 10:30:31 PM »
Great shots, reminds me of the old days!  But while we look at photos of Tatonka, how many of us have really enjoyed eating some Bison?  If you have never tried it, I recommend thepurchase of a filet or tenderloin, cut at least an inch thick.  Lightly season, place on a very hot grill to sear for 30 seconds, then turn down the heat to low and cook each side about eight minutes.  The trick is low and slow.  Can't do it lilke beef, but when you'rs done, it is the best red meat you will ever eat.  If you can't do it yourself, ride up to Denver and go to the Buckhorn Saloon, oldest restruant in the city, and order it there.  Melts in your mouth and the flavor will knock you off the chair.  Bon Apitiet! ;D

Advertising

Offline FiremanBrad

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 07:53:30 PM »
Father in Law and I both kilt 2 yr old bulls back in 07, up on the Pine Ridge Reservation. Mighty fine vittles!!!  Hope to do it again someday !!!

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 08:13:13 PM »
Great shots, reminds me of the old days!  But while we look at photos of Tatonka, how many of us have really enjoyed eating some Bison?  If you have never tried it, I recommend thepurchase of a filet or tenderloin, cut at least an inch thick.  Lightly season, place on a very hot grill to sear for 30 seconds, then turn down the heat to low and cook each side about eight minutes.  The trick is low and slow.  Can't do it lilke beef, but when you'rs done, it is the best red meat you will ever eat.  If you can't do it yourself, ride up to Denver and go to the Buckhorn Saloon, oldest restruant in the city, and order it there.  Melts in your mouth and the flavor will knock you off the chair.  Bon Apitiet! ;D

You are so right about the taste of a buffalo steak. I have it often.

Free roaming, low on choelsterol inducing fats it's really good.

Bill

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 07:53:21 PM »
Hi,

There used to be a stand for a product called 'Beefalo' ... half beef/half bison hybrids ... I used to buy the frozen ground beefalo patties...and half beef I still had to add olive oil to fry it up .... *S* And again it was half beef ... but still, WHAT A TASTE!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beefalo
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 08:55:29 PM »
Hi,

There used to be a stand for a product called 'Beefalo' ... half beef/half bison hybrids ... I used to buy the frozen ground beefalo patties...and half beef I still had to add olive oil to fry it up .... *S* And again it was half beef ... but still, WHAT A TASTE!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beefalo
I was a card carrying Bovine Nutritionist i.e. cow feed salesman back in the mid to late '70s.  There were several individuals peddling Beefalo semen in the Colorado area in those days.  A few of the ranchers tried breeding cows with the stuff.  They had about a 40% success rate.  And most of the offspring from that cross were sterile, like mules.  That is why you do not see beefalo in the stores these days.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 10:05:26 PM »
Cabelas.   Buffalo Steak Deli Sandwich.  $8.99.  Make sure you won't need to drive afterwards, 'cause you'll fall asleep at the wheel. Yum! 

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 02:22:14 PM »
Too bad they didn't have a video camera.  I bet the fight is something to see.  How long do they go at it?  I have seen moose go toe to toe.  That is impressive.  I would have like to have been there.
National Congress of Old West Shootists 3633
Single Action Shooting Society 88462
Society of Remington Revolver Shooters
The Sublyme and Holy Order of the Soot
"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question." - Yogi Berra

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 05:02:44 PM »
About the only part of Ol' Grandfather Pte I haven't eaten is...the snort!  Only thing I haven't been able to swing is a hunt using an original Sharps Carbine. Maybe someday... Waugh!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 06:07:34 PM »
Why Carbine, Trailrider? Why not a full size 1874? ::)

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Jayhawker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 11:38:45 PM »
Too bad they didn't have a video camera.  I bet the fight is something to see.  How long do they go at it?  I have seen moose go toe to toe.  That is impressive.  I would have like to have been there.

The fight went on for maybe 5 minutes.  I've seen deer and elk fight, but that was nothing like this....these two were trying to kill each other...
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates...it more like a jalapeno...what you do today might burn your butt tomorrow...

Offline Jayhawker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 11:41:08 PM »
About the only part of Ol' Grandfather Pte I haven't eaten is...the snort!  Only thing I haven't been able to swing is a hunt using an original Sharps Carbine. Maybe someday... Waugh!

I'm doing some saving towards a 2 or 3 year old bull that I can put in the freezer...

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 05:29:40 AM »
http://www.buffalogal.com/Bison-Roasts-C6.aspx

http://www.buffalogal.com/Bison-Burger-C2.aspx

You can surf around here ...their prices are  :o

Some time ago I'd get Buffalo Roast, & Ground Buffalo from a local rancher , who has since closed his butcher store   :'(
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 08:04:32 PM »
Thanks Major 2,

I have bookmarked the burger page ... and the prices may be high on the Right Coast, but they are in line with normal beef out here on the Left Coast ... and thank you for coming to my rescue once again ... *S*
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 09:45:37 AM »
Jayhawker, many, many thanks for sharing those images. I am one who counts it a great night when I have dreamt of the buffalo. The incredible brute strength in the flanks of those two bulls is the raw power of creation, contending head to head for the critical right to pass on DNA. It is not life and death for the two actors, but it does mean life and death in the long term for the American bison -- or did when the Great Plains ecosystem was still functioning. There is no grander spectacle in Earth's biosphere.
I first tasted bison in the summer of 1968, after our Boy Scout group completed a 54-mile hike in the mountains of Philmont Ranch, in Cimarron, NM. There must have been 300 Scouts lining the tables of the great hall in Waite Phillips' mansion, all of us chowing down on bison roast from animals raised on the ranch.
Wife and I no longer eat ground beef, as our local grocer keeps Durham Ranch ground bison on the shelf 365 days a year.

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 10:47:37 PM »
Yum!

--TK

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com