Author Topic: 1894 Stevens favorite, Calibers .22,.25,.32, others, either RF or CF  (Read 163241 times)

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: 1894 Stevens favorite, Calibers .22,.25,.32, others, either RF or CF
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2014, 11:04:22 AM »
I'd love to find a #2 RRB in .32-20 - that is sweet, congrats!
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2014, 08:48:58 PM »
There is a Remington #2 on Auctin on the Gun Auctions Web site.
"Been there, But no 'Tee Shirt' survived.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2014, 06:16:21 AM »
Thanks Chev.  I've seen a couple #2s there. But none that are what I'm looking fore.  But I'm having fun with the one I have.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Advertising

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2014, 04:16:02 PM »
Wandering around various forums today and ran across references about possible use of .22 Velodog CF cases for .22 Caliber conversions.  Also mentions of the .22 CCM, a .22 Caliber CF cartridge by Cooper.  it sounded like the posters were looking for CF versions of the various .22 RF rounds so they could reload and shoot in spite of the ".22 RF Ammo Shortage".

This got me thinking about possible use with a CF converted Stevens Favorite Action.
Hand Loading wold allow keeping the pressures within the safe realm of a .22 LR type Favorite.
Cast .224" bullets would work in either .22LR or .22WRF barrels, if properly load adjusted to allow for the 'swaging' of the .224 bullet down to .22LR bore sizes.

Might be an interesting winter project IF parent cases can be found at reasonable prices.  Fioncci (Sp?) was noted as having produced the Velodog cases, and possibly the Cooper (CCM) cases, in the past.

Presently running my Tumbler cleaning a batch of used .38 Special cases I intend to convert to .38 Long Colt Brass.
Some 'crud' on the cases is being stubborn as i tis still there after 4 hour 'tumble'.
Best Regards,
chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2014, 01:54:48 PM »
A question for those with experience servicing a Stevens 1915 Favorite action:
What is the safe way to remove and install the Main, or Hammer, Spring assembly?

This action uses a Coil Spring with a guide and sleeve assembly that fit between the hammer, buried inside the receiver housing, and an 'abutment' screw with a groove cut in it threaded into the lower tang.  The spring is fairly strong and I would like the benefit of your experience to safely remove and install this assembly.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2014, 05:07:22 AM »
I have received a suggested method of Safe Tear Down of the Stevens Favorite 1915 Coil Type Hammer Spring assembly:
1.  Remove barrel, Breech Block-Link-Lever assembly and Extractor/Ejector.
2.  Carefully and under control ease the hammer from Half-Cock back far enough to pull the Trigger, then Ease the hammer forward into the space previously occupied by the Breech Block, etc., this will relieve the spring pressure.
3.  Grasp and move the Sleeve forward on the guide rod extension against the spring sufficiently to disengage it from the Abutment Screw Groove and move the tip upward to clear the top of the Abutment Screw.
4.  Ease the Sleeve to the rear under control until all spring pressure is released.
5.  The Sleeve, Spring, and Guide rod/Stirrup unit may now be removed either as individual parts or as an assembly.

The process of re-installation should follow the reverse procedure,
It is reported that the uncompressed spring is shorter than the length of the Guide Rod portion of the Stirrup/Guide Rod assembly so the installation process is eased as the tip fo the rod will guide the Sleeve when initially compressing the spring to get the Sleeve tip back into the Abutment Screw Groove.
Also it is reported that the Guide Rod has a slight 'bow' in its length and the inside fo the curve should face the lower tang in assembly.

IF anyone has any corrections or comments on the above process description, please post your comments.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2014, 10:47:42 PM »
Today I got two pieces of Good News:
  First, my Gunsmith called me to come in with any and all 'bits and pieces' I had acquired since I dropped off the two 1894 Stevens Favorite actions to be reconditioned.  So I gathered up all the Barrels I have at home for the Stevens and the small parts I had picked up through Ebay auctions, etc. and went to his shop.
He had both actions mostly assembled with some missing screws and the two springs for one of the actions.
I had the missing screw replacements in my collection but he will need to order the two replacement springs.  As to the barrels, we picked out four for him to use in fitting up the various parts; my 'Keeper' Stevens .25 Stevens, a good Stevens .32 Long, and two Stevens .22 Long Rifle barrels.  I brought back home the remaining barrels for later.
He will complete the assembly of the first action with .22 LR parts and the better of the two barrels for initial Functional Firing Testing, then change to the .25 Stevens extractor and Barrel to see if the 'wedge' tip firing pin will work with both cartridges.  This Action has faint Color Case Hardening faintly visible with an overlay of 'Brown Patina' so probably will be left as received without refinishing.  It will go nicely with my 'Keeper' .25 Stevens barrel as is.
The second action was too dinged up and 'rusted' to leave as found so he Powder Blasted' it to clean it up and give it a 'satin' finish for later final finishing.  Again it will initially be set up as a .22 LR for Functional Firing Testing, then reassembled with .25 Stevens Extractor and Barrel for further Functional Firing Tests.
There are Two separate '.22 LR Breech Blocks, one for each action, to be tested. 
He had me bring home the better of the two Butt Stocks I had left with him and held on to an OAK Butt Stock and a Butt plate to be fitted to it.  The Refinish my Friends son did cam out very nice and the oak has nice straight and tight grain.  It has an Oil Finish now with a medium translucent 'Walnut' flavor color so it will go with the original Walnut Fore ends.
Later, we will be converting two additional 'spare' Breech Blocks to Center Fire.  This will provide each action with a set of both RF and CF to allow interchange among calibers.

Second, I was informed that my 'seeping' radiator may be replaced at no cost to me or my Insurance company as both the Company who replaced it originally and the Company who manufactured the Radiator have Limited Lifetime warranted on workmanship and Labor.  I will find out for sure next week, I have been told.  This will be a real savings to my limited pocketbook.

On other projects:
Joe Mueller handed me two trays of 'fire crud coated' micrometers, Vernier Calipers, and Dial Calipers to be cleaned up.  I have six Trays of dies I am still working on getting cleaned up for him also.

I trimmed the two barrel Tenons I previously turned to fit my Stevens Favorite actions to very close to final Head Space Length this afternoon, the Lathe in my Friends Shop was not in use so I took advantage of the time.

Next is to measure them again at a standard temperature to see if any more trimming is needed before setting up to locate the retention screw socket on the Tenons.

I have some research to do as my Gunsmith mentioned that my 1.070" long by .346" diameter Chamber (Barrel marked "32 Long") may be for a Ballard Cartridge.  I had not heard of that before.  I had heard of a Ballard .32 Extra Long CF.  The Barrel Slugs .298'/.304" so it is very tight for a .32 Long Cartridge.
Perhaps there is some smaller ones known.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2014, 12:06:34 AM »
Yesterday my 'seeping' radiator was replaced at NO Charge by the company who originally installed the radiator and with the concurrence of the Company who made the radiator.  I am VERY Happy with the outcome as I had been quoted about $750.00 to have it done by my 'local Dodge Dealer'. That is a bunch of money for someone living on Social Security Retirement, VA Disability and MIL Reserve Retirement monthly payments.

I received some more little 'bits and pieces' purchases for my projects this last week:
A Tang Sight to fit the Stevens Favorite - it is 'crudded' up but is slowly getting easier to move as the penetrating oil seeps in.
A Forearm for one of my 1894 Stevens Barrels - looks old but OK when mounted on one .32 Long barrel.
A used 'Rubber' Butt Plate for Stevens Favorite Butt Stock - I installed a steel support spacer between it and the wood now needs trimming.
A Barrel Lock Screw for the 1894 actions - an original used one.
A Barrel Lock Screw for the 1915 action - a Very Used original one.
A pair of Butt Plate mount screws - Rusty and slightly slot damaged but will clean up.

I won auctions for a Trigger spring and Screw, another 1894 Series Barrel Lock Screw, and a set of 1915 Screws.

All in all a pretty good week for me.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2014, 04:13:08 AM »
Enjoying this thread immensely. I just received the drill and Barrel line up from Brownells for my model 44 Reline. I'm looking for a nother barrel so I can realign to 17 HMR. A fellow from the singles short rifle forum called me last night with an offer of one. But it had been cut down to 23 inches. He's going to shoot me a price. If its reasonable I'll grab it.
 Where are you finding all these parts to build on?
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2014, 01:19:02 PM »
I find them on various auction sites on the internet and from Web sites of companies who are making reproduction parts.
Examples:
Wisner's sells some parts thy reproduce.
Jack first also sells some parts from their catalog listings (you need to buy the catalog to order parts).
Gun Broker intermittently has listing.
Guns America occasionally has useful listings.
There are several others.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

PS: Even though Ebay and PayPal 'don't 'really like firearms' There are listings for firearms parts and pieces on Ebay. Chev. William

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2014, 02:53:22 PM »
Today I received from Wisners a new extractor and a main spring for my old Stevens 44. The parts look beautiful. The price seems more than reasonable for the quality!

I bought another barrel today to be relined to 17cal. Not sure if it will be 17HMR or 17MkII. But I still need to get out into the shop and line the 22RF barrel.

Can't wait to put this gun together and start shooting it!
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2014, 12:45:38 PM »
My most current purchase via Auction arrived at my Gunsmith's Shop yesterday and I went in to fill out the California Paperwork fo rit and to look it over.
It is a Stevens "Model 44" 'trigger housing' that shows exterior cleanup and interior rust.  it was stripped of most removable parts although the Trigger spring, anchor screw, the Mainspring anchor screw, and two 'plug' screws (in the upper Tang where a Sight would be mounted) were still present.
The front of the piece had the numerals "44" and "0" stamped deeply into it and on the lower tang a serial number, "37249", is present but of lighter stamping and showed sings of filing on that Tang.
Both the "Breech Block Pivot" and the "Lever Pivot" 'Screw' holes are bored through with slight shoulders left in their bores and the "Hammer Pivot" and "Trigger Pivot" holes have threads in one side so they are for actual screws.
While I am waiting I will be researching as to whether the two bored through holes are for original design pins or will need custom pivot pins made to use the holes present.
I did read mention somewhere that the '44' actions used an none threaded exterior pin with a small retaining screw in one end so I will look for that reference again and see where it leads.

It will sit in the shop for the California Waiting period to expire (until at least 2/18)  before I can begin cleaning it and see if it is a "Good" or "Bad" purchase.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2014, 10:20:04 AM »
I purchased and have received what was listed as a "Stevens" "44" butt stock in fair condition as it had a chip off the bottom heel.
I am now wondering if it was mislabeled as it seems to be identical to the Stevens Favorite Butt Stocks I already own.
I may have to wait until I can take possession of my "44"  receiver, on the 18th, to find out.

In the interim, 'uncra112' and I have been exchanging off Forum Emails developing the measurements/dimensions needed to make up drawings of the "44" internal parts.  We have started with working up AutoCAD (older versions) drawings of the Breech Block, in various shapes, "44", "417", and a slightly heavier one, that will fill out the Receiver slot when it is in "Battery" position.

We hope to eventually be able to use the drawings to make the internal parts for our receivers with missing parts.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2014, 08:54:01 PM »
Please bear with me as i am attempting to post photos of my Stevens 'projects' on the Forum Thread.

The first is a photo of my Stevens 1915 Favorite action and a sued Butt Stock I purchased separately,  it still need more work to get the actiona stock to mate fully.

The action is "in the White" and has been polished with 320 grit.

The nest photo is the Right side of the above action.

The third photo is of some of my barrels.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2014, 07:39:36 PM »
I picked  up my Auction purchase of a used Stevens Model 44 Receiver from my Gunsmiths Shop after the California Regulation Waiting period.  i did not get an update on my projects that are with him as he was not in the Shop today.

Oh well several small packages cam in the mails today so I need to 'inventory' and 'receive' them.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2014, 11:08:06 AM »
Here are two photos of my "Work in Progress" Stevens 1915 Favorite mocked up with the used Butt Stock I have been fitting to it and a Stevens 1894 Barrel in .32 Long RF along with my Model 44 receiver and two possible 44 Links that I received as part of a purchase of Stevens Favorite parts,

The Barrel has the Stevens 'knurled threaded ring nut' that was intended to allow adjustment of the head space to take up any looseness in the action from wear.  It was only used for a period in the middle of 1894 model production, later a 'clump' was added to the bottom of the Link and a spring loaded plunger was added to the lever to bear on the 'clump' and keep the lever tight against the bottom of the receiver when it is closed.

I understand the same system was added to the Model 44 sometime in its production life.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2014, 06:27:21 PM »
Good news for one of my projects:  I won an Ebay auction for a "New Old Stock" Stevens Model 44 enter fire Breech Block.
Also I ordered the available Stevens 44 pivot screws and Pivot pins from "Muzzleloader Builders Supply" and the prices were reasonable with very good customer relations.

Not so good news: I lost an auction for a used Stevens Model 44 Trigger, due to Thunderstorm knocking out my ATT U-Verse service (Television, Phone, and internet) Friday night and it was not restored until Sunday evening.  Nearly 200 emails to deal with since the services came up again.

Other projects, what I could do in the midst of the storms, included receiving a custom home made forend for an 1894 Stevens Barrel That is extended out well forward of the transition from Half Octagon to round and floats the round portion well clear of the wood.  I presently have it on a Stevens .25 Long chambered barrel for trial, the rear end is slightly short of the barrel Tenon edge.

The stormy weather tore up the canvas on my vehicle Tents/Shelters, so I will need to replace them when it clams down again.

My dogs are outside for almost the first time in three days, they used my hall floor for a potty this weekend so I had cleanup duty all weekend and repeatedly.  One of those little things about having two small dogs that are primarily house pets.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2014, 08:23:07 PM »
My "new old stock" Stevens 44 Center Fire Breech block, my order of "44" pins and screws from Muzzleloader Builders Supply, arrived and I am happy to  report some of the items fit as received, others are slightly larger than the holes they should go through but are within 'reaming' range to fit tightly for little lost motion in the action.
- The Breech Block Pivot Pin and Pivot Screw fit the receiver holes tightly but are about .002 big for the Breech Block hole.
- The Lever Pivot, same as BB Pivot, is slightly large for both the Receiver holes and the Lever I have.
- The Hammer Pivot Screw fits the Receiver hole tightly, but I do not have a hammer yet to try.
- The Trigger Pivot Screw does not fit the Receiver holes.
- The firing pin retainer is very tight in the Breech Block and also the threads for it, so fitting may be needed later.
- The Breech Block seems to fit my receiver well, side to side, and front to rear but the up and down will need to wait until I can work the Pivot Pin through both the Breech Block and receiver holes simultaneously.

As to my two 1894 Actions, more delay as my Gunsmith's wife went into the Hospital Thursday. I do not know the cause nor the results.
I believe other things are set aside in times of personal worry, and I agree with that.

My 1915 action is on hold for the moment, waiting upon Pacific Tool and Gauge to complete my .250ALRM Roughing Chamber Reamer, to go with the Finish Chamber Reamer they did last year.  I am not using the Finish Reamer until I can rough the chamber first, I do not want to dull or chip the Finish Reamer in a raw bore.

I received the order of Swiss Black Powder from Buffalo Arms with one 'little' problem, they 'substituted' 1fg for the 2fg I ordered.
I have already talked with Buffalo Arms and we came to a understanding on what will happen, so I am satisfied.
This means I now have Swiss in 1fg, 3fg, 4fg, and Null-B to experiment with along with my previous stock of GOEX 3fg and Pyrodex "CTG".
I also have several types of modern Smokeless Powders I have used or planned to experiment with so I am now well positioned to do the necessary powder loadings for my .25 calibers and my .32 Calibers.

I have a supply of .312" to .315" 90 grain heeled bullets in two designs, and a supply of .255" 51 grain Lead bullets along with some .25" Jacketed bullets.  The experimental loadings will be made up when the weather here drys out and gets warmer as it is done on my back patio which faces to the North, not the Warmest nor calmest at the moment.

I did buy a second 1915 Receiver, but it appears to have been 'Bubba' Repaired in the past, further inspections will wait until after the 18th when I can pick it up from my FFL dealer due to California Regulations.  This one does NOT have a visible serial number nor other markings, has partially cleaned up weld at the body to lower tang joint cleaned up Braze at the body to upper tang joint, and a heavy boss at the end of the lower tang with a screw fitted between the two tangs, which are close to the same length as I remember it from when I saw it during filling out the transfer paperwork.
For $45 plus $5 shipping and $89+ for the transfer, it was 'inexpensive'; but may be unusable as is for a firing arm.  Wall hanger maybe?

Now Back to the 'mundane', getting ready for Tax Preparation, replacing shredded shelter canvas, Getting my dogs to Vet for annual checkup then getting their licenses renewed for the year. keeping ahead of the mushrooms popping up in my back lawn, etc., etc.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2014, 11:55:53 AM »
Pacific Tool and gauge finally charged my Credit Card for the Roughing Chamber Reamer, so it should be arriving soon.  Yea!
Best Regards,
Chev. William

PS: Today my order of spare/replacement Extractor/Ejector parts for the 1894 and 1915 Favorite actions arrived in the afternoon mail.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2014, 10:24:37 AM »
Tuesday afternoon my PTG Made Roughing Chamber Reamer for .250ALRM arrived.  I now have both the Roughing and Finishing Reamers for this Cartridge family as they  may be used to cut shorter chambers for other Case lengths in this Development Family of Experimental cartridges.  I also have gathered the tools needed to reform .22 Hornet cases to the diameters needed for both the .25ACP/.250ALxx Range of casesadn the .25 Stevens range, both RF and CF versions.

Now to wait patiently for my Gunsmith to finish the repairs/upgrade of at least one of my Stevens 1894 series actions.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com