Author Topic: How authentic is an Uberti short rifle?  (Read 5763 times)

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
How authentic is an Uberti short rifle?
« on: August 13, 2013, 06:41:57 AM »
It's been quite a while since I've had a '73 and have been looking over the options.  I'm thinking about an Uberti short rifle in .44WCF but am wondering how authentic it is.  I've read elsewhere that these are the original differences between a standard sporting rifle and a short rifle:

#1. The center of the rear sight dovetail sits only 3.5" from the frame instead of the 5" for the standard rifle.
#2. The short rifle rear sights sit so close to the frame that there isn't enough room to put the caliber marking on top of the barrel.  It's typically found on the left side of the barrel.
#3. The barrel address is about 1" closer to the frame.
#4. Short rifles have forends that are 1" shorter than standard and measure 8.5" instead of 9.5" found on rifles with standard length barrels.

I don't know if this list is all inclusive or fully correct, feel free to correct me or add to this list.  So my question is how authentic is the Uberti short rifle? Does it have the unique features of the orginals or is it simply a shortened sporting rifle?
Thanks
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: How authentic is an Uberti short rifle?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 09:02:39 AM »
Mine has the same rear dovetail placement and forearm as a regular rifle. Same as most original rifles I have seen. You can compare for yourself. I love my .44-40 short rifle.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 09:40:42 AM »
While a dollar a day Cowboy bought of the shelf, not everyone did. You need to remember that for a few dollars more you could get a Winchester in just about any variation you wanted. Odd barrel lengths and stock variations, while not common, were provided. I understand that Teddy Roosevelt made great demands on Winchester to make a gun that fit him just right.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:00:19 AM »

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 06:56:40 PM »
I was assuming that when a short rifle was ordered back in the day, that the features I mentioned were standard along with a shortened barrel.  I really hadn't thought about someone ordering a sporting rifle with a 20" barrel and no other changes being made, but it makes perfect sense.  But the shorter forearm does seem to give it a more balanced look.  In years past I've had a repro carbine and an original sporting rifle.  I liked them all, picking another is s tough job. That's why I thought a short rifle might be nice.  Thanks for your thoughts guys.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 08:24:02 PM »
The Uberti short rifles do have shorter forends than the 24" rifles.  How much shorter I'm not sure.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 09:01:55 AM »
Thanks Abilene, that's good to know.  They sure do look nice.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
If you're interested in specific measurements of a Uberti short rifle, I'd be glad to measure mine. Just let me know.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 05:55:27 AM »
CC Griff - If you don't mind, I'd be interested to know the length of the forend.  Thanks

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 08:25:01 AM »
The exposed portion of the wood measures 8-1/4". With the end cap, the forend is 9-1/4".

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 01:45:50 PM »
Thanks CCG, I apprecaite the information.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 10:08:29 PM »
You are most welcome.  I will also comment that I love my short rifle in 44 WCF.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 11:19:40 AM »
I bought a used Short Rifle some years ago.  I had a '66 Yellowboy carbine but I wanted a '73.  I have a '73 carbine in .45 Colt, but I wanted a short Rifle 1873. Sold the '66 and now the '73 is my main match long gun and I do not regret getting it.  Now I need to save my pennies to get a Burgess in .44 WCF.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com