Author Topic: Taylor's .44 Russian #3  (Read 5193 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Taylor's .44 Russian #3
« on: August 01, 2013, 12:15:26 PM »
Just bought a new .44 Russian.

Anybody got any pointers or load recommendations?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Taylor's .44 Russian #3
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 02:14:23 PM »
Yeah, I recommend you let me borrow it for 10 years. 

Congrats, I'm eating my liver I want one so badly.

Bob
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 02:35:16 PM »
Yeah, knowwhatchamean .....

Two pals each have a Schofield(?) in .45Colt and that set me to droolin'.

Then I read Venturino's article on shooting his .44 Russian and I was desperate. Found TWO at a dealer's and asked that they select the one with the best trigger pull. It's now going through the hoops required to own such a dangerous gun in Kanuckistan - likely three weeks to a month before I have it.

I hinted to my wife that I'd like the pair and got that raised eyebrow look that meant - "Don't even think about it .....!"

I'll be using it as a novelty gun and just to break hearts - like yours ... ;>)  BP, of course. I have a period flap holster to fit and a period correct British lanyard for the ring.
I'll be shooting it along with my .450 Tranter Army. Now that really is a heart breaker! Looks brand new. I had the cylinder magna-fluxed by an aerospace testing firm and it passed with flying colours.

Now I'm in the line up for .44 Russian brass, the gamers having scooped up all the available stock. In the interval, I can cut down some .44 Spl. brass to get shooting.

In one of my Colt reference books, there is a poor reproduction (i.e very faint) of an 1890 Colt ad showing a Navy .38 being loaded with a two piece speed loader and the wooden block to load them. You inserted the rds and pulled out the central core plug, allowing them to fall into the chambers. The rubber ring around them was removed as part of the process.

The Brits were offering the same sort of thing with their break open revolvers of the same era. Nuthin' new about speed loaders at all.

The Canadian dealer is Ellwood Epps in Orillia, Ontario, and yes, they would ship to the US ....... nudge, nudge, wink, wink ....
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:34:29 PM »

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 04:13:42 PM »
Then I read Venturino's article on shooting his .44 Russian and I was desperate.

"Don't even think about it .....!"

I'll be using it as a novelty gun and just to break hearts - like yours ... ;>)

Black Dawge had .44 Russian brass they had an excess of and were selling it as of the last few weeks, might check on them, although they may have been too preoccupied to update their websites you know.  http://www.blackdawgecartridge.com/cgi-bin/bdstore/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=thispage&thispage=bd_filler.html&ORDER_ID=862418408  still indicating they have some.

Yes, I know that look.  The man killer . . .

Consider it broken!  I have been wanting to buy some .44 Russian of my own becauise of the vaunted accuracy to shoot in my .44 Colts (I have three of those) but I have so much stuff I need that I can't dwell on what I want just now.

Congrats and good shooting buddy.

"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 05:44:48 PM »
I have a buddy that cut down some .45 Colt brass to make .450 ammo for my Tranter. I'm going to prevail upon him to do the same with 100 .44 Spl. cases until I get my factory brass.

I'm going to load with the data suggested by Mike V. as I go with success, preferring not to re-invent the wheel unnecessarily. You wouldn't believe the loads  in my old copy of COTW .... !

with 246 gr bullet:

- 6(!) grs Bulls Eye
- 8(!) grs Unique

with 250 gr bullet:
- 5.7(!) Bulls Eye

And this was long before there were repro S&W's. Must have been hell on original guns. Modern manuals are much more in keeping with MV's loads.

Offline harleydavis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #C31 SASS #3740 NRA GAF #394 5th Minn. Infry
  • SASS #: 3640
  • NCOWS #: C31
  • GAF #: 934
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 10:05:12 AM »
with 246 gr bullet:

- 6(!) grs Bulls Eye
- 8(!) grs Unique
Huh. I load 6.0 gr Unique with 200gr lead. Quite accurate in my '72 OT's.
I remain, respectfully,
Harley Davis
"I do not believe in ghosts so I do not burn a candle waiting for them. As to the killing of a bad man, when it comes to a fight, it is the other man or me. And when the deed is done, why bother the mind? Afterall, the killing of a bad man should not bother anymore than the killing of a rat, a vicious cat or an ugly dog" James Butler Hickok when asked if he ever thought about the men he had killed.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 10:39:28 AM »
Yup, but the loads I mentioned were recommended for heavier bullets used in ORIGINAL S&W's, not repros made of modern steel and heat treated.

That's pushing it ....

Offline RedGreen

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 02:50:36 PM »
I have a buddy that cut down some .45 Colt brass to make .450 ammo for my Tranter. I'm going to prevail upon him to do the same with 100 .44 Spl. cases until I get my factory brass.

I'm going to load with the data suggested by Mike V. as I go with success, preferring not to re-invent the wheel unnecessarily. You wouldn't believe the loads  in my old copy of COTW .... !

with 246 gr bullet:

- 6(!) grs Bulls Eye
- 8(!) grs Unique

with 250 gr bullet:

You can trim cases fairly easy yourself, it doesn't take much. You need a Lee case trimmer set with a pilot of the right length. You put the case in the holder and mount it on a electric drill and away you go. A digital caliper is cheap these days, (and everyone needs one).
- 5.7(!) Bulls Eye

And this was long before there were repro S&W's. Must have been hell on original guns. Modern manuals are much more in keeping with MV's loads.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 06:21:54 PM »
I think I said that .... your point?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com