Author Topic: Henry Nettleton guns  (Read 9907 times)

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 94
Henry Nettleton guns
« on: July 25, 2013, 11:22:41 PM »
I am wondering since the Blue Book states their production began 2005, are all the Nettleton and Ainsworth guns made from USA parts or are some of them made from Uberti parts?

Thanks, Louis
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: Henry Nettleton guns
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 12:09:22 AM »
Lou,
I have some doubts about that "blue book" you occasionally quote.  Nettleton production started long before 2005 and I believe that the early ones were, in fact, made up of imported parts.  2001 is generally accepted as the year that USFA went all US made.
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 05:52:44 AM »
Hopefully, Gary Granger will chime in with his extensive first hand knowledge.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:41:48 PM »

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 10:24:07 AM »
Where can I find some history of USFA guns such as dates of production, etc. other than the Blue Book of Gun Values? I would like to be more familiar with their history other than just gleaning a few tidbits here and there?

Offline GaryG

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 07:34:12 PM »
The first HN I saw was probably back in '01 or "02 at the old Colt factory.  It was a Uberti frame but not sure about the barrel or cylinder.  To get an idea of the vintage of a HN we'd have to have access to the bound book which records (recorded) all guns shipped by serial number.  That's either been turned in to the ATF or still in posession of the owner but for our purposes, it's long gone.   If you send me a pic of the gun, I may be able to identify the vintage (depending on the quality of the pic).  A side view is best.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 11:42:16 PM »
Here is a photo.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 01:23:30 AM »
Once again, that hinged box is an indication of an early production gun.  Hopefully Gary can provide more specific information.  Anyone know when they stopped using that style box?

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 10:24:24 AM »
So, Capt. John, if I understand correctly anytime you see the hinged box it is a gun made of non domestic (Italian) parts?

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 11:02:04 AM »
Not necessarily.  Those hinged boxes were the first ones used by USFA.  Later on they switched over to the regular two piece box.  I don't know for sure what year they made that change.  I have a gun that was manufactured early in '05 and it has the two piece box.  I believe that they stopped using the hinged boxes a couple of years prior to that.  Hopefully Gary will know when the change was made.

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 11:55:40 AM »
I have two USFA revolvers that were shipped in 2004 with the black hinged box.  One is a 4 3/4" .44-40 and the other is a 5 1/2" .45.  My third USFA is a 4 3/4" .38-40 shipped in 2009 with the black two piece box.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 12:31:35 PM »
Thanks Buck!  Every little bit of information helps.  It is a shame that much of the information regarding USFA production is either undocumented or unobtainable.  Too bad someone at USFA wasn't assigned to document when various changes/transitions were made.  Simple things like the type of boxes used probably seemed pretty insignificant at the time but that information would prove to be helpful now.  The "glory days" of USFA ran just short of 20 years, hardly long enough to justify a company historian.  Hopefully someday someone will gather up all these little bits of information and publish them, as was done with Great Western Arms.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 02:37:48 PM »
So a hinged box does not necessarily mean the gun that came in it is composed of Italian parts but instead could be composed of USA manufactured parts. I suppose the only way to correctly tell then would be physical inspection of the arm or by serial number if you knew what to look for as far as physical inspection is concerned, or if you knew the serial number range when Italian parts ceased and actual USA manufacturing began.

Man, that sure makes it difficult to determine when you are considering to attempt a purchase online with only a few pictures to go by. To date if one shows up for a reasonable price and you don't make the determination quickly it will be gone. Often when you try to contact the seller for more information it takes such a long time to get a reply the item is quickly snatched up by someone else, which I certainly understand. :-\

Offline GaryG

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 04:36:17 PM »
Looks like a Uberti.  The loading gate is a little different.  The barrel may be US as the front site doesn't look like a Uberti.  The grips look Uberti as the US made HNs had very plain walnut.   I'll call the box maker and see if they remember when USFA stopped ordering the hinged box.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 08:31:09 PM »
I suspect that when the short sad history of USFA is written, the US made Henry Nettleton will be judged their finest work.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline The Wizard

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 08:09:09 PM »
I have a "Henry Nettleton Cavalry Revolver" that I purchase directly from USFA in May of 1998. And I have the receipt to prove it. Serial number is 4712* . I believe my revolver has some USA made parts and some Italian made parts.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 06:16:38 AM »
So would you all put the Ainsworth model in the same category as the Nettleton as far as quality goes? 
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 12:17:38 AM »
As there is no appreciable difference between the Ainsworth and the Nettleton, I would definitely put them in the same category.  I would also be willing to bet that there were more Nettleton models made than there were Ainsworths which might give the Ainsworth a slight edge as far as collector appeal goes.

Offline GaryG

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 09:53:52 AM »
The Capt. is correct.  The only difference was in the markings and serial number range.  Ditto on the other Inspector series guns.  The Custer Battlefield gun carried an Ainsworth serial number.  Some bought the Custer Battlefield gun with the "new" finish.  In that same vein, you could have purchased an HN with the old worn finish - but no one ever did. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com