Author Topic: Need disassembly help with Uberti 1860 conversion  (Read 6274 times)

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Need disassembly help with Uberti 1860 conversion
« on: July 23, 2013, 09:25:42 PM »
So I just picked up my new Uberti M/R 1860 conversion in 38 special.

I wanted to give the barrel a swab or two, as well as making sure I know the disassembly for cleaning, before taking it to the range.
I'm flummoxed.
First of the cleaning section of the Instruction Manual is worthless - it's the disassembly instructions for a SAA.  Worthless.

Then, there is a 'disassembly' section that states to:
1.  Turn the screw above the wedge on the left side to the open position.  (Flat part of screw at the bottom).  This I did.
2.  Remove the wedge.  Here's my frustration - I tried pull the wedge - nothing.  Not a micron of movement.  Getting frustrated I took a cleaning patch, covered the wedge, and then tried gently pulling with pliers.  Not a micron of movement.  Getting more frustrated I doubled down with the cloth and pliers and absolutely nothing.  Now I've already buggered the finish on the wedge.  grrrrr.

I've tried youtube and general googling looking for disassembly advice and found nothing useful.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
Re: Need disassembly help with Uberti 1860 conversion
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 01:00:34 AM »
You need to tap the wedge out from the right side.  Use a brass punch.  Usually, especially on a new gun, the wedge cannot be pulled out by hand.  After the gun has been shot and broken in, sometimes the wedge gets loose enough that you can remove it by hand, sometimes still needs to be tapped out from the opposite side.

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 01:47:29 AM »
You need to tap the wedge out from the right side.  Use a brass punch.  Usually, especially on a new gun, the wedge cannot be pulled out by hand.  After the gun has been shot and broken in, sometimes the wedge gets loose enough that you can remove it by hand, sometimes still needs to be tapped out from the opposite side.

Ahh, thank you so much.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:22:50 AM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 10:29:56 AM »
Like Abilene said, use a brass or nylon punch.  Never use any tool with serrated jaws or you will ruin the part.  Since you are new to this, I would completely remove the wedge screw.  Nothing more frustrating than beating on the wedge and finding you don't have the screw in the proper position.

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 10:47:41 AM »
A nylon faced hammer works best.  Hard enough to do the job; yet soft enough to keep from marring the finish.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 03:23:38 PM »
A nylon faced hammer works best.  Hard enough to do the job; yet soft enough to keep from marring the finish.

OK thanks for that.
So it sounds like I need a brass or nylon punch and a nylon-faced hammer.

Should I even entertain "polishing" the wedge so it isn't so sticky?
I already mucked up the finish on the wedge on the right side trying to pull it out (out of frustration - my bad).  It shouldn't affect the wedge functionality - just looks so it's not a big deal at the moment.  I bought it to shoot, not an investment.  :)

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 03:49:31 PM »
If you don't have the wedge out yet, no need to wait until you have the "proper" tools.  Find any hard plastic object that you can place against the wedge on the right side of the barrel and tap that object with a hammer or such.  I would not polish the edges of the wedge.  On the part of the wedge that you boogered up grabbing with pliers, you can file and polish that smooth and touch it up with cold blue and it will probably look fine.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 05:02:30 PM »
Not to contradict .... your local grocery store should have a small wooden mallet ( Mine is rock Maple )
It may be in the Seafood area.... used to crack crab.... $0.99 has served many years.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 05:11:25 PM »
Not to contradict .... your local grocery store should have a small wooden mallet ( Mine is rock Maple )
It may be in the Seafood area.... used to crack crab.... $0.99 has served many years.

Oof, I just got back from Ace Hdwe with a $17.00 sand filled rubber hammer.   :)
I'll give it a try as soon as I'm done working today.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 07:11:46 PM »
Well you can crack crab with that too ...I suppose  ;)

but at 99 cents I can still afford the crab  ;D

here is another tip  I have a length of maple 3/8 dowel rod ... I cut about 4" and use a belt sander to taper the end
something like a slotted screwdriver tip ... this fits nicely under the ejector tube on the cartridge conversions to
pop the wedge.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 07:57:07 PM »
Well you can crack crab with that too ...I suppose  ;)

but at 99 cents I can still afford the crab  ;D

here is another tip  I have a length of maple 3/8 dowel rod ... I cut about 4" and use a belt sander to taper the end
something like a slotted screwdriver tip ... this fits nicely under the ejector tube on the cartridge conversions to
pop the wedge.

Houston, The Eagle Has Landed!
(sorry, couldn't resist the reference as today is the 44th anniversary of Apollo 11's safe return to Earth.  I was an Apollo brat living a mile from the (now named) Johnson Space Center).
Success.  With careful use of the punch and the hammer I was able to remove the wedge and the barrel and cleaned it out for my first shoot on Friday.  Very relieved and can't thank you all enough for the helpful advice.  I love my new love of western firearms and I love this site.

As for the hammer, I'll have to settle for the $17.00 investment.  As for the crabs, my brother's new home on Puget Sound is just yards away from hordes of Dungeness crab.  He brought me by 3 on Monday and have been gorging on them  since.   ;D

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 08:29:59 PM »
A nylon faced hammer works best.  Hard enough to do the job; yet soft enough to keep from marring the finish.

+1
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 02:06:11 PM »
As for the crabs, my brother's new home on Puget Sound is just yards away from hordes of Dungeness crab.  He brought me by 3 on Monday and have been gorging on them  since.   ;D

Yawl ustin that new hammer fer crackin?
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 08:54:18 PM »
If you don't have the wedge out yet, no need to wait until you have the "proper" tools.  Find any hard plastic object that you can place against the wedge on the right side of the barrel and tap that object with a hammer or such.  I would not polish the edges of the wedge.  On the part of the wedge that you boogered up grabbing with pliers, you can file and polish that smooth and touch it up with cold blue and it will probably look fine.

Abilene,
I just re-read your post and I thank you for the suggestion on touching up the wedge.
I'm kicking myself for being so impatient.
I ordered a 3-pack of nylon punches from Brownells for about 5 bucks.  I just finished taking a dremel to one of them and now I have the correct punch.
Thanks for all the advice fellas.
This is a great place for info, especially to newbs like me.

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 10:05:24 PM »
I know I'm a bit late to the party ,,,But without and nylon hammers or pieces of wood.
You can use a screw driver handle to tap the wedge out with.
Then you can use the same screw driver to take the rest of the gun apart.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com