Author Topic: Music and instruments.  (Read 26371 times)

Offline Marshal harpoluke

• Black Sash Gunfighter Lord of the Dark Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Agapei Attack Sheep
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Music and instruments.
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2006, 08:33:21 PM »
 ;D

Play the Harp (Celtic, Irish lowhead & Welsh triplestrung), Guitar, violin, organ(reed), Shofar (Rams Horn), Dumbeck(Middle Eastern drum), tamberine, Recorder., etc et nausium.

There were many instruments. ;D

SASS 60019L
NRA Life
CASS
Muckraker
Straight Shooter
Army Veteran
GOFWG#269
LASOOS#35s,
Lookout fur da sheep, packs a 10ga.,
Ya loot, Ah Shoot,
Lord of the Dark Soot,
Prayer Posse,
GoofBall #12

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2006, 11:47:45 PM »
The typical lap dulcimer, called Appalachian dulcimer, etc. didn't really come into use in it's most commonly seen form until after the turn of the 20th century. I used to build and play them.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2006, 03:00:56 AM »
I play harmonica and Native American flute.There was a thing called a rollmonica,it had a harp on the side and a player sheet on the inside like a playere piano and you blew in one end and turned a crank while blowing.Not sure when they were made.Been wantin to get me one..I see them ever onc and awhile and there is a guy that mkes the perfortted rolls from originals that he finds...
Bunch a ole scudders!

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 07:25:32 AM »

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2006, 08:27:07 PM »
I play harmonica and Native American flute.There was a thing called a rollmonica,it had a harp on the side and a player sheet on the inside like a playere piano and you blew in one end and turned a crank while blowing.Not sure when they were made.Been wantin to get me one..I see them ever onc and awhile and there is a guy that mkes the perfortted rolls from originals that he finds...

Sounds like an instrument I can actually play! 
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2009, 09:23:44 AM »
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/smhtml/smhome.html

http://www.lib.unc.edu/music/eam/search.html?browse=series&Vol=New

Wanted to add a couple interesting sites to this thread on 19th cent. music.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2009, 10:17:50 AM »
Here's another site, it has recordings of old timers singing and playin all the old songs they knew.  I have a great uncle that is recorded on there. Fred High,  High, Arkansas.

a lot songs long forgotten.

http://maxhunter.missouristate.edu/singerfj.html#anchor3
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2009, 10:37:54 AM »
Love the site! :D

I wish there was some indication of the origin and date of the timeframe of the songs, in addition to the recording dates.
A lot of them have passed into 'folklore' status, I know, though many are associated with historical events, like sinking of the Maine or Casey Jones incident.

NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2009, 10:46:20 AM »
I do enjoy listening to some of the songs, you know some of them old people learned those old songs from their grandparents and parents who lived before during and after the Civil War.  a lot of history to pass along,
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Doc Neeley

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2009, 02:34:31 PM »
If you want to do an interesting search, look up gourd banjo's. There are several craftsment making these old time instruments.
All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us the wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream. -- T.K. Whipple

Offline Kentuckian

• Banjoist
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2009, 10:56:22 PM »
I play in an 1860s band playing 1840s, 50s & '60s songs. I play fretless banjo and the rest of the band plays fiddle, bones, tambourine, guitar. All instruments are gut strung... no modern instrument or sound to us. Music comes from original banjo manuals and sheet music.

www.myspace.com/allendalemelodians
A man with a banjo and a man with a gun... both are equally dangerous.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com