Author Topic: New here and just saying hi and showing my Spencer  (Read 1734 times)

Offline fireman

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New here and just saying hi and showing my Spencer
« on: July 12, 2013, 06:40:32 PM »
Hi All,
I have a small collection of rifles from various wars and have always wanted one from the Civil War. I really wanted a Sharps but a nice clean original always eluded me. I was at Gettysburg for the 150th. and window shopped the few dealers that sell arms. I saw this Spencer but didn't want to jump on it as it was only the second store I had been in and there were 3 more to go. I checked those others out but they really had nothing that I was looking for. I ran back to the shop and just beat out another guy who walked in 2 minutes after I did said he would buy it if I didn't. I made the purchase and couldn't be happier. It's an 1860 Spencer Carbine that is all original except for the stock which looks to have been done very lightly some time ago. It serial number puts it being issued to Company D of the 12th. Illinois Cavalry in 1864. You can click on the pictures for a larger view.

I asked Two Flints if he had any additional information about this serial number beyond what I already know. He said that this serial number is an "Exact Match" to someone in the unit I mentioned above but we don't the specific person. My family and I going on  vacation later in the summer and have to pass right through Springfield, Illinois which is the capital. I plan on stopping there and spending the day and see if I can find the original regimental history and try to track down the original soldier it was issued to.

Offline fireman

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: New here and just saying hi and showing my Spencer
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 06:03:47 AM »
Sorry about that! I have been working 80 hours a week out in our 90 degree heat and was half asleep when I was typing the post. Couldn't even see or think straight! I fixed it. Thanks for pointing that out TwoFlints!

Offline fireman

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 05:16:47 PM »
I finally got around to taking some more pictures. I remembered reading something about a brass liner inside the stock where the tubular magazine goes. I checked to see if mine has it and it does. Can someone remind what the deal is with that? Anyway enjoy the pictures!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:10:10 PM »

Offline KEN S

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 06:36:28 PM »
very nice, and thanks for all the great shots...enjoy    Ken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com