Author Topic: .32 Long Colt ,Need Help  (Read 331866 times)

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: .32 Long Colt ,Need Help
« Reply #560 on: December 26, 2014, 10:18:18 AM »
Look up the cartridge.  It should be a longer version of the .32 S&W Long
What is the Bullet weight your 'Ideal" tool, if it is a combination tool, is made to cast?
If you have a mold that will cast a 90 grain or a 105 grain bullet you are within range of the cartridges you have been looking at.
What is the Bore/Groove dimensions of you r rifle Barrel(s)?

For Reference:
   The 32 LC can be any case length from about .75" to about .93",depending on era and bullet it was chambered for.
   The .32 Extra Long seems to be about 1.150" case length and works with 87, 90, and 105 grain bullets.
   The .32 Ideal, according to 4th Ed. Ammo Encyclopedia, is a 1.75" case length and is larger than a .32 Lc's diameters.
It is listed as taking a 150 grain .323" diameter bullet.

Stevens .32 Barrels I have seem to all have Groove diameters of .306" to .308" for cartridges and bullets of nominal .312" driving band diameters.  by Modern, Jacketed bullet, thinking this is strange; but remember back in the 1880s and 1890s almost all bullets were Lead, not Jacketed, and the propellant was Black Powder.

So Now you need to measure and study what you have and then think about where you want to go in the way of cartridge and Rifle.

Best Regards,
Chev. William
"Been there, But no 'Tee Shirt' survived.

Offline MrWolf

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #561 on: January 02, 2015, 09:46:29 AM »
What are the thoughts on using 320 dies for reloading a heeled cast? From what I have read, it seems the 320 works better for the heeled. I can get a set from CH4D for about $99 with a 16 week wait or get the 32 long colt dies.

Thanks,

Ron

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #562 on: January 02, 2015, 10:41:48 AM »
I have not looked at the .320 Cartridge and Dies so I do not know how suitable they would be: however, I think that the .320 is larger in diameter than the .32 Long Colt so it probably would seat the bullet but not crimp the case nor center the bullet in the case mouth as it is being seated.

Personally, I would get the .32 Long Colt Dies so you will have a correct Sizing die and may use the Seating die but should get a Collet style Crimping die to work with the Heeled bullets.

Just my Preferences and Opinions.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Advertising

« Reply #563 on: Today at 02:27:42 AM »

Offline MrWolf

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #563 on: January 02, 2015, 11:55:56 AM »
Chev. William,

I like the idea of getting a Collet style cripming die to work with the heeled bullets. Thanks, that is the route I will go.  BTW, if all deals pan out I should have almost 190 pcs of ammo (bout 40 hollow base and 150 target) and 60+ 32 long colt cases. That should help for awhile. Do you anneal your cases after a certain number of firings?

I see you ordered yours from Old West Bullet Moulds, still like them?

Thanks,

Ron

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #564 on: January 02, 2015, 03:58:11 PM »
I have yet to Anneal any .32 or .25 cases as my reloading cycles are still down in the 3s and 4s range.  Most of my past loading was for 45ACP and 44-40 and both of those are easy on Brass.  Usually with 'Straight wall cases and moderate loadings you will not need to 'size' the fired cases all the time IF you keep them separated by the Firearm you discharge them in, and not sizing means not 'working' the brass so it will not 'harden' and not ned annealing for a LONG time.

Yes I am Pleased with my Old West Mold .32 Long Colt Collet Crimp die and its custom adjustable Shell Holder.  If I decide I need to load .32 Extra Long Cases and crimp them, then I can use a 'Ring spacer' on top of the Shell Holder base to change the crimp point to the one suitable for the Extra Long case.  I will need to eventually order another Adjustable Shell Holder to handle the Extra Short and Short cases though, the adjustment range is not wide enough to cover from .398" to .930" so it is split up into separate case lengths that will fit the adjustment range.

Remember to tell them the case length(s) you wish to work with along with the Caliber.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline MrWolf

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #565 on: January 17, 2015, 03:26:46 PM »
I ordered the 32 long colt dies snd shellholder from CH4D on Monday. They were delivered today! Spoke with Dave for at least a half hour about the 32 long colt. Great guy and knowledgeable. Thanks for the tips folks.

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #566 on: January 18, 2015, 01:52:24 PM »
Please let us know of your progress.

Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #567 on: February 03, 2015, 11:14:41 PM »
I received two of my Rifles back from my gunsmith today, one of which was a Stevens 1894 Type Favorite in 22RF and the other is a Stevens 1915 Type Favorite; both are fitted with Reused barrels (one a'take off' purchase off of Ebay).  Now I need to get money and time to go to a Commercial Range to teat fire the rifle for my self.

Once I have test fired them in .22LR I can think about rearranging them with other  barrels and extractors to handle other Cartridges such as .25 Stevens or .32 Long.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline MrWolf

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #568 on: February 11, 2015, 05:28:56 AM »
That sounds like a fun 'lil project. Let us know how that comes out.

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #569 on: March 12, 2015, 09:01:00 PM »
S-l-o-w progress on my Actions and parts at my gunsmiths shop but there is some.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #570 on: May 25, 2015, 12:26:51 PM »
Memorial day 2015 and I am still short of funds and Fuel for my vehicles, so projects are still on 'Slow Ahead'.  I have been listening to The Arlington Tributes so far, and a Discussion on various uses of our national Flag.  
The Display of the 'National Ensign' upside down is traditionally a Symbol of extreme Duress, the need of Immediate Aid or Assistance, such as danger to life or Ship/Property.
Also, not mentioned, is the display of the 'National Ensign' over that of another Nations upon the Same hoist; which is indicative of a Captured or conquered Vessel or other property.  One Such Valid Display would be flying the 'National Ensign' above that of the 'Confederate States of America' Ensign (not the battles Flag) to signify that the USA had Won over a Vessel or piece of land.

Several States incorporate the old Confederate 'cross of St. Andrew UNION, or Naval 'union Jack' design in their State Flags and as such they are displayed properly Subservient to the 'National Ensign' according to Flag Protocols.  

This Blue Saltier Cross on a Red field with white Stars in the diagonal cross bars was NEVER adopted by the Confederacy as an official Flag or Banner separate from its appearance as the "Union" on the Third Confederate National Ensign.  It was employed by at least two regiments in separate battles to separate Confederate Forces from Union forces in the Smoke and Fog of Battle.

People should remember this display is Historic and not intended to degrade nor demean anyone.  Yes, the old Confederate Battle flag is sometimes seen as a 'protest' flag.  It is NOT a thing that should bring violence to its Display or those who display it.  It would be reasonable to SHUN its display and those displaying it as a form of peaceful anti-protest though.

Violence is NOT Protected free speech!

Best Regards,
Chev. William
A Disabled and Retired Veteran

Added:  It seems the Left has Declared 'War' on ANY display of this Design, including promotional items relating to Hollywood Productions such as "The Dukes of Hazard" Series and Movie(s).  Their Strident screams of "Racist" has pushed several corporations to Yank all products with it depicted upon them.  I doubt they will be happy though as their reasoning may expand to demands that the USA National Ensign be abandoned also. 
Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #571 on: September 05, 2015, 03:17:23 PM »
Coming up on Labor day Holiday; My How Time Flies When Things are Interesting.

I Am Now Published with my First Wildcat Cartridge out there in front of ALL!
It is #950 in the Cartridge Master Data Base of "Ammoguide Interactive" under the Name "6.35x32mmSR STEWART".
I am Very Happy, in spite of other World developments and News.
Now I am going back to re-forming Brass for my Wildcat, I have about 1000 Pieces of Once Fired "5.7x28mm" Brass to work with.
Plus 600 pieces of .22 Hornet New Brass to finish re-forming.

Plenty to 'Putter with'.

Have a Happy Labor day Holiday ALL.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #572 on: October 25, 2015, 04:28:46 PM »
Nearly Halloween and I have been Puttering further with reformed 5.7x28mm Brass.
I have 400 now formed to my 6.35x32mmSR cartridge requirements and, further, have now trimmed 50 of those to 1.125" case length to verify my proposed Second "Mildcat" cartridge; the"6.35x28.6mmST STEWART".
This is an easy replacement for the .25 Stevens with higher Maximum Average Pressure Limits in a STRONG Rifle Action.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

PS: the .314", and down to about .308", Rim seems to Extract easily with original .25 Stevens extractors in a 1894 Stevens Favorite rifle.  So Next I wil be doing some Test loads and then will need to get out to the Commercial Local Range to test fire them in a action converted to Center Fire.
Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #573 on: November 08, 2015, 11:58:39 AM »
Another thought occurred tome with my experiments reforming 5.7x28mm FN Empty Cases down to .25 Stevens, is that the Basic 5.7x28mm Brass is close to .32 Long in diameter although having much smaller Rim diameter, might possibly be usable, if Expanded out to take a .299" diameter bullet Heel, to Generate a "Semi-rimless" version of the .32 Long series.
The Head is designed for much higher pressures so has much greater potential strength than reformed .32 S&W Long cases.
There is the Head spacing and Extraction capability to examine further.

Still Something to consider for the Future.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Added 20151114:  Upon considering the effects of firing, it may be that the Result would be either a "Rimless Case" or a "Rebated Rim Case", depending upon chamber It was fired in.  (Chuckling) Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #574 on: December 20, 2015, 11:01:45 AM »
My Gunsmith Informed me that, due to High Priority Work, he wil not be getting any of my Projects worked on until after the New Year; so I guess No "Christmas Toys" for me this Year.  I do have a Chamber reamer On Order from PT&G tha twas promised for about Dec. 20th so there is a chance it will arrive in the Mails before Christmas.

On a Sadder Note, on december 5th I was involved in a 6 vehicle Freeway Accident and my 2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab SLT "Night Runner" 4x4 4.7L V8 Short bed Truck was Rendered un derivable.  I am looking for a possible Replacement while negotiating with the Insurance Co. for suitable funds.  Their first offer was based upon a "low Ball compassion of" 3L V6 Standard Cab or Extended cab RWD pickups NOT comparable to my vehicle.  Personally, I came through the accident with bruises but no broken bones or other injuries it seems.  No Air Bags on any Vehicle involved were deployed and all Occupants were walking around waiting for the Highway Patrol to finish the Accident Investigation.

I am Still waiting for a revised offer and looking on the internet for some indication of possible replacements closer than the Midwest or Right Coast as the Shipping of an unknown condition truck that far is not reasonable.

May Everyone Have a Very Enjoyable and Merry Christmas Holiday and May the Coming New Year Be Very Happy for All.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #575 on: December 25, 2015, 12:09:00 PM »
Sadly No PT&G Reamer came in the USPS Christmas Eve delivery.
But some other Orders form other suppliers Came so it is a "Happy Christmas" for me.

May All Have a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
"Joy to the/World. . . . "
Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #576 on: January 10, 2016, 03:01:36 PM »
It is Now January 10th and I am now the"Part Owner" (with my Credit Union being the other "Part Owner") of a Used 2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4x4 4.7L Pickup Truck in "Bright Silver" as replacement for my 'Totaled' 2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 'Night Runner' SLT 4x4 4.7L Pickup in 'Black Crystal Metallic".

Now begins the Process of bringing the "SLT" up to the "Comfort and Convenience" of the "Night Runner' SLT package.

I still have The 'Totaled' Truck on my driveway as I retained it as 'Salvage' and my Friend will help me with my work in the Replacement for a 'Deal' on the Black one as he wants to restore it to the road to replace his two decades old Crew Cab Long Bed Work Truck.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
.32 Long Colt Article in Black Powder Cartridge News
« Reply #577 on: January 26, 2016, 09:14:37 PM »
Chev. William,
Glad to hear that you have resolved the truck issue.  

I just picked up a copy of the Winter Black Powder Cartridge News because on the cover it said LOADS FOR MARLIN"S 1892.

The article is entitled Black-Powder Loads For Marlin's Model 1892 - .32 Rimfire & Centerfire  
The author had purchased his rifle back in 1959 when he was 15 years old for the princely sum of $17 and that included a box of cartridges and an old Marlin catalog(!). Those were the days! The article is nicely written with some nice photos of ammunition, reloads and a squirrel harvested with the rifle.  He does show a group of 5 rounds in about 1" at 25 yards.

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #578 on: January 26, 2016, 11:48:56 PM »
Sigh.   Those were the Days, about when I bought my two Win 1890 Rifles for $50 Total cost. the older is still in original condition except for an Lengthened Chamber to take .22 Mag's single loading.  The Second is slightly newer and was Refinished as receoived.  It also was Reworked to take .22WMR cartridges by welding and machining the Carrier/lifter.  Unfortunately the original rework was NOT hardened so bent when used.  I finally was able to find two Carrier/lifter parts , one a Multiple Caliber cartridge type and the other a .22WRF which Willie Clark (Gunsmith) combined and machined and Hardened properly to make a good working .22WRF/.22WMR rifle out of it.
I have shot the Newer one with both Cartridges feeding well now.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #579 on: June 15, 2016, 01:57:23 PM »
I know this is a real old thread...But I just bought a pristine Marlin model 92 in 32 Colt with a centerfire pin. And I found the fellow on Gun Broker selling heel base bullets for it. I was going to order some of his reformed 32 S&W brass but then I found a fellow selling "NEW" Winchester 32 Short Colt brass for $60 a hundred!

Ordered up 300 bullets and 100 pieces of brass

A buddy of mine had a box of factory Winchester 32 short colt and donated 5 rounds to the cause. I just got back from the range and shot them just to hear the gun go bang!

I'll post the target in a few minutes.

My original plan was to rechamber to 32 S&W Long as I have a number of revolvers and rifles in this caliber. But I'm going to play with it as a 32 Colt for a bit........

Love this little rifle!

Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com