Author Topic: Cartridge belts for bottlenecks  (Read 4204 times)

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
Cartridge belts for bottlenecks
« on: June 25, 2013, 04:40:41 PM »
I'm wanting to order a canvas cartridge belt from Stan at Wolf Ears in Laramie to hold some .45-75 rounds, but I am guessing nobody really makes a belt with loops formed for a bottlenecked case. So I figure I'll just order a belt that would hold .50-70 cases and I should be good to go. Don't want leather because of the verdigris issue.
What do the rest of the pards use for the short, stubby bottleneck rifle rounds?

:)

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cartridge belts for bottlenecks
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 05:18:31 PM »
One way to do it is to have a second, narrower row of tighter loops below the upper loop that fits the base of the cartridge.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 05:30:16 PM »
Trail Rider:

I made my own.  Got two chunks of canvas and glued them together and made the loops by putting a case in and sewing it and moving onto the next until I got as many as i wanted.  The buckle set up is leather and is rivited on. The shells, by the way, are of a slight bottleneck variety in 40-82 caliber.  I got somewhere like 30-40 rounds in this setup.  Maybe this will help or not but that is the way i did it. You can fancy it up by sewing strips of leather along both edges too.  This is a labor intensive project but it helps when watching TV or something.
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:46:07 AM »

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 06:13:49 PM »
This past wk. I used a canvas cartridge belt to hold my 40-60 wcf ,during my hog hunt. The fit was originaly for a 45-70 gov. but the 40-60 fit just fine. I did loose one catridge somehow. Boy I cant stand to do that . Thought about sewing a canvas flap over the catridges to stop them from falling out when I take the belt on and off. Got any Idea's. ....Dusty

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 08:20:32 AM »
Oregon Bill I am in the same boat as you.  New 45-75 purchased back in February of this year.  I have been looking at canvas belts as well with exact thoughts for the .50 base.  I found this at the place I purchased the rifle from: 

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_97&products_id=3982

I haven't seen the belt in person but reading the description is sounds similar to the product you had been looking at too.  I will be watching this thread to see what other recommendations the good folks here send up.  Wish you the best in your search as well.

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 08:38:42 AM »
This morning I tried some 45-75 wcf and 50-95 wcf in the same Canvas cat. belt I spoke of ,that I use for 45-70 gov. and 40-60 wcf. The 45-75 & 50-95 ,fit into the loops even better. But I'm still gonna add a canvas flap over the case head's and sew in some leather tie down's . Hope thie info about the case  fit helps. .....Dusty

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 09:47:24 AM »
Dusty, good to know. Pinto, here is one of Stan's Wolf Ears belts as sold by Buffalo Arms:
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=164682&CAT=3876

Offline wyldwylliam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 01:40:22 AM »
I use that canvas belt from BA. Works quite well, but has taken some time for the .50 loops to break in as initially it was quite a tight fit. Good quality belt, although I remodeled it a bit into more of an old time prairie belt and put suspenders on it to take the weight along with a knife belt inside the way the Indian Wars troopers did it.

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 06:19:32 PM »
If anyone is interested, I make original style leather belts for each of the 1876 calibers.  These belts (#19A) can be ordered with as many cartridge loops as you want, depending on your waist size.  I also make a bandoleer of the style used by the NWMP.  This item is not pictured on my web site.  www.oldwestreproductions.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com