Author Topic: Early Colt Revolving Rifle  (Read 3138 times)

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Early Colt Revolving Rifle
« on: June 20, 2013, 11:40:13 AM »
I just acquired a five shot revolving rifle. On the top strap is stamped "Col. Colt Hartford CT. U.S.A." The CT is not real clear, but the rest is. It appears to be about .55 cal, percussion. The hammer is mounted on the side but strikes the cap thru a slot in the top strap. The nipples are about the size of musket nipples. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Early Colt Revolving Rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 08:51:14 PM »
Great deal. The ones with the side hammer are the later models.  Do a search on-line and you will find stuff about them.  If it is in good condition it is worth quite a bit.

Offline Hondo44

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 05:22:42 AM »
Nice find!!

The actual caliber was .54, so you were very close. The way you describe it, it's a Model 1855 Roots revolving rifle. In that caliber it could be a military or civilian sporting model. Is it long barreled and long stocked with US stamp or a bayonet?

I have a 6 shot in .44 (actually uses .454 balls) reproduction by Palmetto sold thru Dixie. I'm very impressed with the quality and accuracy. No longer made for several years. I found mine NIB on Gunbroker. I'm making a cartridge cylinder for it and using .460 S&W brass with a .454 bullet. A simple firing pin added to the hammer will make it a perfect copy of an authentic period cartridge conversion. Except for the cases; I don't know what was actually used back then.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:39:12 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com