Author Topic: Help and Info on sights on Uberti and Pietta Colt model P clones  (Read 4809 times)

Offline Wolf Killer

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hello Lads,
I live in a small town in the high desert of Eastern Washington state, and the only gun stores only rarely get in a single action that isn't a Ruger, so getting eyes on a Colt clone is not going to happen, so I hope you pards can help with some info or even a photo.

First off I prefer the first  issue model P, some call it Frontier, black Powder frame, or Old Model.
Basically the first Model P with the screw to retain the base pin and the Bullseye ejector.

I prefer it for the most part, as it is historically correct. The old West was pretty much over when the first generation came around and smokeless powder hit the fan

My problem, is my 64 year old yes, I have a pair of 75 Remingtons from Uderti and the gutter sights are near perfect, and a pair of Schofiels that Bill English recut the rear sight to a partridge which is perfect.

I bought a used Uberti Old model, that is 5 years old and I can barely see the blade in that tiny rear notch.it is accurate, but I have to fight to keep the sight picture constant. I recently picked up a Great Western II in 44 Wcf, and the sights on it are great, with a straight blade and a nice big square rear notch. I can shoot tiny groups with that gun, but, it is a first gen gun

Now, are all models of Uberti except the Evil Roy shipped with these old style sights? I see that Cimarron lists a Frontier old model by Pietta, does that model have the tiny rear sight or does it have a square notch and blade like the GW gun?

My dilemma is, I want a old model gun but with the square notch sight and straight blade. Is there a off the shelf beast, or do I need to invest in a gunsmith to make it happen?

I did have my Local gunsmith Open the rear notch a bit on the Uberti with a file, this is an improvement, but with the tapered front sight it is minimal.

A lot of writing here I know but any help will be appreciated.

Wolf Killer

Donald Bowman

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
Re: Help and Info on sights on Uberti and Pietta Colt model P clones
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 01:56:40 PM »
Howdy Wolf Killer,
I am familiar with the Cimarrons so can describe the sights on those.  All of the Pre-War frame guns (with spring-loaded crosspin latch for cylinder pin) have squared front and rear sights.  This is both Uberti and Pietta.  The Uberti Pre-War guns other than Evil Roys used to have V-notch rear and tapered front, but now are squared.  The Old Model (BP frame) Ubertis all have the V-notch rear and tapered front.  The Old Model Piettas have the squared front and rear sights, so I think that is what you are looking for.  

At one time EMF carried GW-II's with the OM frame, then Pietta stopped making them.  Now that Pietta is making them again, I don't know if EMF carries them.  I don't see them on their website. 

Hope that helps.

Offline Flagg

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Help and Info on sights on Uberti and Pietta Colt model P clones
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 07:26:54 PM »
 Cimarron is making them as the Frontier. A nice wide front site just like the EMF.

Advertising

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com