Author Topic: Anyone pulled apart an original .45-75 round?  (Read 14956 times)

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 154
Anyone pulled apart an original .45-75 round?
« on: June 19, 2013, 11:32:05 AM »
Just wondering if anyone out there has broken down an original factory round, weighed the powder charge and taken dimensions of the bullet. I'd love to know diameter, actual weight, length and width of the meplat.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Anyone pulled apart an original .45-75 round?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 06:38:55 PM »
Howdy, Oregon Bill.

If memory serves me, Buck Stinson has done this.  You might PM him, or he may pick up this thread.   

Given the cost now of a single original example, few of us pull them apart!  FWIW, the original Winchester bullet molds casts the same bullet as the factory load.  They pop up on ebay fairly often. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 06:03:22 PM »
Just wondering if anyone out there has broken down an original factory round, weighed the powder charge and taken dimensions of the bullet. I'd love to know diameter, actual weight, length and width of the meplat.

As I recall, the original loads were 76 grains of powder by weight.  I do not recall the specifics of the bullet.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:12:51 PM »

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 07:51:05 PM »
Mean Bob:

You are correct.  The original loads did consist of 76 grains of BP. That was how I got the bright idea to load mine with the same charge but with Swiss 1½.  They shoot quite well.  As far as the original bullet goes,  My Hoch mold emulates the original and I use the alloy that the factories had printed on the back side of their cartridge boxes which was 16:1.  Hope this helps some.
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 10:02:22 AM »
Larry, any chance you might post a photo of one of those bullets from your Hoch mold?
I think Dusty Texian has one of the old Winchester molds ...
Yoo-hoo, Dusty, y'all out there pard?

;)

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 05:16:20 PM »
I'll try and when I do I will put it along side an original crtridge  that is if i can figure out how to post.
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Offline wyldwylliam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 10:46:45 PM »
Man, me too. I'd really like to see the components of an original load, front to back. For one thing, I'm trying to find out if it was done back in the day to put grease cookies behind a naked bullet or just behind patched bullets. What the original number and type of grease grooves is of interest as well.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 11:23:45 PM »
Family Portrait:

Left to right:  45-75, 45-60, and 40-60 WCF

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
GAF

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 08:06:08 AM »
Oregon Bill:
Am having trouble getting this to take my photos.  Send me your e-mail and I can send them that way.
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 08:07:45 AM »
Grizzley Adams:

Would you run me through again  on how to put photos on this site.  You did it once for me a long time ago and i either forgot or lost it.  Thanks
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 08:42:45 AM »
Grizzley Adams:

Would you run me through again  on how to put photos on this site.  You did it once for me a long time ago and i either forgot or lost it.  Thanks

The best and easiest way I have found is to open an account on Photobucket.  You can down load pics from your hard drive to photobucket, and from there, you can place them into your post.   

Once you have the pic downloaded to Photobucket, you will find that a drop down menu will activate when you place you cursor on the pic you want to put in your post.  Chose the IMG selection and left click to highlight image tag and right click to copy.  (If your using a Mac, just clink on the link and it will copy.)  Next go back to your post on CAS City and place your cursor where you want the pic to be.    Right click your mouse to select "paste" and your done!  Harder to described than it is to do.

Hope that helps! :)
GAF

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 01:16:01 PM »
Well here goes.  One note--my rifle is an early '76 with the larger chamber.  That gives me about 5 or so more case capacity.  when I chronographed the load i used a PAC Professional series chronograph.  The screens were 8 feet apart and the first was 10 feet from the muzzle.  The avg velocity was 1445.4 fps and the CV was 0.77%.  the computed recoil was 23 foot pounds so it is a hefty load but good and accurate.

http://s1312.photobucket.com/user/revehngng6/media

When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 01:17:08 PM »
I guess I blew it.  Will try again later.
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 05:40:48 PM »
I guess I blew it.  Will try again later.

When you click on the pic you get a choice of 4 links or options .  Copy the bottom one that begins with IMG.
GAF

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 06:01:23 PM »

I am still having trouble so sent a note for help to photobucket.  I tried what you said but for me id dildn't work out.  So shall see what haqppens.                                                                         

When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 01:55:08 PM »
Howdy Feller's have been out at the ranch for the last wk. Sorry for the delay in reply. I have a pic,of an Original Winchester .45/75 wcf mould and bullet's cast from it. These, I cast before WT. season last yr. Used one to take a Wt. Buck at 148 paces or so with the 76 in 45/75 & 2ff Swiss. Was going to wait fer it to cool off a bit before casting some more , But if you feller's want a few to check-out and measure , or shoot for test,I'll be glad to cast a few and send them Ta Ya. Just give me a few day's ,and an address . I'll get Y'all a few. Good Luck With Yer Shootin.......Dusty

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 04:38:04 PM »
Dusty, you take a right lovely photo. Very nice. Thanks for letting me see what they look like.
Bill

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 05:33:13 PM »
Dusty:

Those are just what my Hoch bullets look like.  They are a spittin image of mine.  If I can only get this new version of Photo Bucket to work, I will send a photo of mine.  I sent a help message to the folks there at PB but haven't heard anything from them yet.  Yes--those are very nice looking bullets and a very nice mold.
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 06:08:16 PM »
Thank's Larro 1, Dont feel alone I went round and round with the photo deal.I use the photo bucket on other forum's. But cant get it to srink down enough for thisun. So I just srink my photo down on my computer and it will usually load up. Had to get a 12 yr. old to show me that. .........Dusty

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 08:26:25 PM »
Dusty:

That sounds like a good approach.  I got a 12 year old grandson who can probably help me with it.  Like I said,  I did send an e-note to PB explaining my problem and so far no answer.
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com