Author Topic: what hammer spring and what trigger spring  (Read 10843 times)

Offline dart368

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
what hammer spring and what trigger spring
« on: June 17, 2013, 06:37:19 PM »
I went to gunSprings.com and saw that they have a 17 pound in a 19 pound hammer spring. they also have a 30 ounces in a 40 ounce trigger spring.  which of each should I get for my new model Ruger Vaquero and why?

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: what hammer spring and what trigger spring
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 02:07:19 PM »
I have swapped all of our Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, Single Six, Bisley, and Vaquero hammer springs out [for the lighter springs]. 
Some are 15#.  Some are 17#.  Some are Wolff brand.  Some are Bullseye brand.

A couple of the Vaqueros have the 30 oz trigger springs.  Usually, I do not install the trigger springs.  I have just unlatched one of the legs.  That lightens the triggers up sufficiently for us.

We use Winchester large pistol primers in all of the revolvers with no misfire problems.

Why?  They are for plinking, hunting, and competition.

Mustang Gregg
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 11:21:58 AM »
If you lighten the hammer spring, make sure it works reliably with the brand of primers that you use.

I personally prefer lighter hammer springs, and I back them down as far as possible while still providing for 100% ignition with Federal brand primers. If you use CCI primers you wont be able to back down quite so far.  If you go to Wolf Spring's web site, you will see that you can get 15, 17, 18, 19, 20 and 21 Lb springs for $4.29 each, or you can get all 6 for $18 bucks if you want to experiment.

As far as trigger springs... for action shooting you don't necessarily need or want a super light trigger. It just isn't needed, and could present a safety issue.  Yes, I have a Ruger Blackhawk with a somewhat light trigger pull, but I use it only in Silhouette shooting. Feel free to experiment but consider that for action shooting a really light trigger spring isn't needed at all, and in fact might not be wanted in some cases.

As far as unhooking one half of the spring... I tried it once (doesn't everyone?) just to see what might happen and it was a little lighter than I felt comfortable with under any conceivable shooting condition so I went back to a lighter side spring installed as intended.

Rick

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:09:42 PM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 11:26:38 AM »
First thing make sure you are getting the correct springs.  Vaquero Springs and NEW Vaquero springs are NOT the same.  On the Wolff site make sure you are clicking on the small frame XR-3 box.  New Vaquero springs are shorter than Vaquero springs because of the lock inside the grip.  They are also lighten in poundage.  I use the lightest 14 pound spring and have actually ground them down so they are lighter.  How light you can go depends on the particular gun and whether you are also giving it an action job at the same time.  The biggest problem with the New Vaqueros is the free spin pawl that is in them.  (Yeah I know, they won't spin backwards from the factory because there is a spring loaded plunger that keeps them from spinning backwards.  BUT, they are the free spin design.)  On the last 1/8" or so of hammer fall the tail of the free spin pawl hits the frame and is supposed to cam the pawl backwards a little.  As the hammer spring pressure gets lighter sometimes the effort to cam the pawl back will start causing misfires.  It that happens, you have to either adjust the pawl or go to a heavier hammer spring.

Offline Sleepy Floyd

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 11:19:52 AM »
I am ready to order some 15 Lb. springs as I use Winchester primers.  Now I wonder about the trigger spring.  Last night while doing some dry fire exercises I noticed the front sight was lifting slightly when the trigger broke.  I'm used to a 1911 style crisp trigger.  I know I will not get that with the Ruger.  So should I go to a lighter trigger spring or learn to adjust?  If I do go for a trigger spring any recommendations?  I was thinking about a 40 instead of the 30.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 03:21:23 PM »
Simple thing to try is to simply unhook one leg from the stock spring.  Works, it's free and if you don't like it you just have to rehook it.

Offline Sleepy Floyd

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 04:06:02 PM »
I will try and test that before Cowtown.

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 03:03:45 AM »
First thing make sure you are getting the correct springs.  Vaquero Springs and NEW Vaquero springs are NOT the same.  On the Wolff site make sure you are clicking on the small frame XR-3 box.  New Vaquero springs are shorter than Vaquero springs because of the lock inside the grip.  They are also lighten in poundage.  I use the lightest 14 pound spring and have actually ground them down so they are lighter.  How light you can go depends on the particular gun and whether you are also giving it an action job at the same time.  The biggest problem with the New Vaqueros is the free spin pawl that is in them.  (Yeah I know, they won't spin backwards from the factory because there is a spring loaded plunger that keeps them from spinning backwards.  BUT, they are the free spin design.)  On the last 1/8" or so of hammer fall the tail of the free spin pawl hits the frame and is supposed to cam the pawl backwards a little.  As the hammer spring pressure gets lighter sometimes the effort to cam the pawl back will start causing misfires.  It that happens, you have to either adjust the pawl or go to a heavier hammer spring.

Would removing the free spin pawl cause misfires with lightened springs (15#)?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com