Author Topic: 1899 SSA .45 Colt  (Read 5125 times)

Offline griswold

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1899 SSA .45 Colt
« on: May 28, 2013, 12:33:44 PM »
Recently I stumbled across a 1899 SSA .45 with 7.5" barrel in very good shape. Price was $3240.00
Unfortunately I did not look at the serial number.

My desire was to posses this smoke wagon but not that day. Got to thinking about it later and realized I could pick up two new 3rd gen for the cost of that one........or a uberti 73 and two Model P replicas.

There is no incentive for a non registered weapon as it was made in the cut off year, 1899. And it is old steel so I'd have to be careful with the types of loads used.

So, I am seeking advice.........it is worth it or should I pass altogether?

Griswold
Griswold,
The Griswold was favored by my Great Grand Pa James Henry Story who rode with the 7th Georgia Cavalry.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: 1899 SSA .45 Colt
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 12:55:25 PM »
When you ask about Colt's Single Action Army, pictures are essential - and I mean pictures of 'everything'.

It's the only way to give some sort of a fair evaluation, short of sitting with it nearby, and the various Colt reference books being available.

Is your desire to possess a collectable that you can shoot - or something that you'll shoot a lot?

If the latter - buy one of the new Colts and enjoy it.

More information's needed.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline griswold

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 11:14:57 AM »
St. George,

thanks. I don't have photos but description wise, the bore was like new, lock up was tight. Finish was the gray color of aged bluing, it looked like one of those Cimmaron Arms aged finishes they sell. .......including the frame. Had guttapercha grips. No dings or gouges from a screwdriver etc. Did have a little scratch on the barrel that I noticed in reflected light, like it had bee rubbing against some metal object, very slight. Otherwise it looked great.
I suspect that weapon lived in someones dresser drawer for years.

But you answered my question anyway..........thanks.

Griswold
Griswold,
The Griswold was favored by my Great Grand Pa James Henry Story who rode with the 7th Georgia Cavalry.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:14:52 AM »

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 12:10:12 PM »
Colt's are a problem.  I have a pair that I shoot.  I really like 'em.  But, I shoot 'em.  I didn't get them as an investment, I got them to shoot.  If I couldn't, or wouldn't shoot them, I'd see very little reason to clutter up the safe with them.

I do admire them.  They are so light and quick compared to other pistols we use in our game. 

I don't shoot them much, however.  The race gunz seem to end up in the car most of the time.  And, Colt's are not race guns -- although, you can get them pretty smooth and fast with a little 'smithing.

Personally, I'd take that money and order a pair of hard chrome 38-40s from the custom shop and shoot the heck out of them.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 03:42:23 AM »
...as it was made in the cut off year, 1899. And it is old steel so I'd have to be careful with the types of loads used...

As in REAL BLACKPOWDER!!!!! No ands, ifs or buts about it. Don't even think about shooting smokeless in it no matter what amount of BS you may read or hear. It's not proofed for smokeless. Period.

Offline Hondo44

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 06:15:26 AM »
Well I have to agree with everybody. You could get three good used 3rd gens for that price and have different barrel lengths or calibers and a lot more fun with them.

But don't believe old wives tales about shootability of that one. Read the books for yourself, especially Kopec. Colt replaced the wrought iron frames after c. 95000-96000 about 1883 with steel long before the VP was stamped on the left front trigger bow of their SAAs verifying use with smokeless powder.

I have an 1884 issue that letters as being sent back to Colt before WW II for refinishing, and at that time they stamped the VP for verified proof on the front left trigger guard bow verifying safe use with smokeless powder which was their practice back then if it applied.
Obviously I would only shoot CAS loads in it for an extra margin of safety. But it's a moot point, you did right, get newer guns to shoot.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com