Author Topic: .45 Schofield load for my .45 Colt...  (Read 16337 times)

Offline Frank V

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: .45 Schofield load for my .45 Colt...
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2013, 05:55:27 PM »
Yeah, I have that book too. Mike is a great gun writer, and a great champion of the old guns, but I think if you pin him down he will not be able to actually refer you to any hard evidence of such a snafu actually happening. Yeah, it has been written about for years, and it is certainly within the realm of possibility, there just is not any evidence of it happening.

;D ;D ;D

I'm not going to argue about it. Maybe it did maybe it didn't.
I wasn't there & it's been so long ago that it makes little difference now.
Let's go shooting! ;)

The .45 S&W is short enough that it's a great ctg for reduced loads in the .45 Colt, & it's not a bad ctg on it's own.
U.S.A. RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!

S.W. Montana

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 09:17:15 AM »
Hello the camp,
     Possibly not quite appropriate for this thread, but...
I am assuming as far as safety goes that any safe load in a Uberti Schofield is safe to shoot in a Uberti Henry, and vise versa.  A general question for the board- Which action is actually the strongest?  And no worries- I have no intention of hot loading either weapon ;)

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 02:27:29 PM »
Howdy Matt45,

I'm not sure which cartridge you are referring to, .45 Colt or .45 Schofield.  I don't believe the reproduction Henry rifles are chambered for the .45 Schofield.  I think you would have feed problems with a Henry rifle chambered for .45 Colt if you load it with .45 Scholfield rounds as they are too short.

As to loads being safe in both guns, any safe load listed for a Colt SAA in a loading manual will be safe. 

The Henry Rifle will be stronger than the Schofield pistol.

Silver Rings 
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:47:48 AM »

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 06:40:12 PM »
Hi,

I can't say about the Henry, but in  the '73, the only problem that I have had is when the bullet was pressed in too short, causing the round to be below minimum length. The Scofield is so short that it is right at the minimum OAL and must be checked if reloading ... twould be easy enough to check ... don't ask how I know ... *S*

Just for fun here is the Wikipedia ... which has a good comparison of the Colt and Schofield .45s:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Schofield
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 07:05:50 PM »
To date I have had no problems chambering the 45 Schofield in the Henry.  I use a RNFP between 200 and 230 grs.  I'd have to get out my caliper to give ya'll the OAC, but my source for all this was Pettifrogger, and I reckon he knows of what he says ;D

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2013, 09:37:00 AM »
 ::)... and it was Poncho Peacemaker that suggested using the 45 Schofield in the Henry- and he is another fine individual.  There is an article re- printed on the Henry Forum (by Driftwood Johnson, I believe) that goes into detail on how a toggle- link works, and how one could modify the carrier block to accept shorter rounds, but to date it hasn't been an issue w/ me
     What would be an issue is if I accidentally stuck one of my bear/ moose 45 LC loads in either the Henry or Schofield.  I'm stupid, but not that stupid (oh wait, I might be that stupid).

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 01:27:03 PM »
Matt45,

There should not be a problem/issue within the revolver.
However, within the lever action Rifle there could be an issue with the overall cartridge length and how it may or might feed through the receiver mechanism.
I hope this helps.
My best,
  Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 06:38:45 PM »
Blair,

That was my plan ... to measure the round's OAL and use the below minimum in my Schofields ... I can tell you now that if you use a too short OAL, they could become stuck under the uh, carriers in a '73 ... not a difficult thing to fix (twas fixed at the unloading table). But the resulting stage-not completed meant that I just should have gone home ...

But I am digressing .... the short round loaded (and fired) just fine from a pistol ...

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com