Author Topic: Barreled actions  (Read 3412 times)

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Barreled actions
« on: May 15, 2013, 09:41:09 PM »
I have been looking through the auction sites and see quite a few 73 barreled actions for sale.
My question is it cost effective to buy and re build on of these items as a shooter????
The bore would have to be shootable or cheep enough to have sleaved.
Interested in your thoughts.
Buffalochip

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Barreled actions
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 11:10:14 PM »
Depends on the level of work required and the cost of the barreled action.  If you're going to do most of it yourself, sure, why not.  If you're sending it out to say, Doug Turnbull, you're looking at  . . .what . . . 3k to restore the metal to like new and probably 1500-2000 for new wood.  So, think 5k plus the cost of the action.

If you are buying a pre-cut stock and finishing it yourself, you're looking at more like 200.00-500.00 for wood depending on how nice a piece. 

The biggest question for an auction gun is this:  when they say it is a barreled action, how exactly much does the metal need to be restored?  How will you know until you get it?  If it is just bluing, hell yeah.  But if it's rebuilding the action, the barrel, etc., you're talking major bucks. 

What are they worth when done and not all original?  Turnbull asks quite a bit for his so . . .

Sure, it is worth it dollars wise if you can sell it or want to, but is it worth it to the average guy?  Probably only if you are doing all or most of the work yourself.  Bottom line?   You could buy a new Winchester brand with case hardening for less.
cheers,

Bob
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 01:18:19 AM »
I would look at doing it my self.

Parts are availble although you may have to wait for some parts to turn up. I have two 73 Uberti's and a 76.

Thanks for you input.
Buffalochip

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:51:56 AM »

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 06:50:04 AM »
Mike, I'll make it clear right up front; if you do it, you do it as a labor of love for a beautiful old weapon, not because it's cost effective.

Is it cheap, NO.

Are the parts you need available when you need them, NO.

Are there other idiots (like me  ;D ) out there trying to find the same parts you are, YES.

If you do decide to do it, do a third model, parts are more plentiful and easier to find. If I were going to do it again, I'd do a 32-20 as many people seem to love to buy these, break them down for parts and sell them on EBay. Instead I went with trying to do a 44-40 second model (ever try to find a good set of second model sideplates  :( ).

But in the end you have a fine rifle, or will have if you ever get it done, that when you pass it on your kids can say, 'My Dad did this, he brought this one back." Of course, they may get an incomplete rifle while they are commiting you to a rest home for having lost your mind watching EBay auctions 24 hours a day for that 'one last little piece for a set trigger'.  ;D

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 03:17:31 PM »
I would look at doing it my self.

Parts are availble although you may have to wait for some parts to turn up. I have two 73 Uberti's and a 76.

Thanks for you input.

Parts are not the issue, I agree.  If it's a project for fun, that makes it a for sure deal.  They do fetch a high price when reconditioned so I think the investment for you is reasonable if the action you pick up is acceptable shape (that is, fixable without a new barrel or some other heinous issue.)  Many stock makers will send you a 95% inletted stock for it.  I've seen field grade stocks as low as 75-100.  Very best of luck and hope it turns out great!

Bob
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com