Author Topic: '73 Long Rifle with Kelley Schuetzen Soule Sight (Short Range)  (Read 7443 times)

Offline Thomas (Tom) Horn aka James Hicks

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS#86684 Wartrace Regulators
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Thought some of you cow pokes might like to see what the Kelley Schuetzen Soule Sight (Short Range) looks like mounted on the '73 Long Rifle along with the Kelley Globe Front Sight.  My opine... you cannot buy a Better Sight... whether it be for your lever actions or your buffalo single shot rifles. Kelley makes very accurate sights and they are pretty too.
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: '73 Long Rifle with Kelley Schuetzen Soule Sight (Short Range)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 10:32:52 PM »
It is gorgeous.  Tell me, what do they consider short, medium, etc., range?
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Thomas (Tom) Horn aka James Hicks

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS#86684 Wartrace Regulators
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 12:17:37 AM »
MBM-

Tis a good question... The Kelley Silhouette Soule Sight which is listed as (Medium Range) is just like the Kelley Soule Sight Long Range except that is is a wee bit shorter in height.  The Kelley Schuetzen Soule Sight (Short Range) .... well it is identical to the Silhouette Sight and the Long Range cept it is shorter than the Silhouette sight.... sounds like a love triangle...Laughing.  [ I talked to Jim Kelley on this subject... his sights were really made for the buffalo guns... even though I partiscipate in the CAS Long Range shooting... all of my rifles that I use are lever actions ('76 in 45-60 / '86 in 45-70 / '94 in 30-30 Win and for pistol caliber rifle i use the '73 45cal Long Rifle and a '92 in 45LC) all of my cowboy firearms are in 45 caliber...ease of loading cept for the 30-30. Jim said even though his sights were for the buffalo rifles they work well on the lever actions also.]  AND he is correct, they are very accurate. The Schuetzen has a max range of around 600 yards... the long range... is what it is... it is very tall if you can see 1000 yards and your rifle can do it...go for it.  The longest distance I have ever shot with any of his sights was at 500 yards and that was not competition... that was at a local range and I was shooting at paper target... just wanted to see if any of my lever rifles would shoot well at that range. I went this route because every Marble sight I tried... WOBBLED when indexed. The Italian sights were not accurate and only had elevation adjustment. Taylor's DO2 sight looks good... but it falls in line with the Italian made Tang/Vernier Sights.  Kelley sight bases are not made for the Lever rifles that are reproductions... he will custom make the base for you... same charge as shown at Buffalo Arms.  He is a good man to do business with and his work is flawless.  But is is not cheap. To buy the base/the sight/and the front sight / and inserts for the front sight your cost will be well over $750 bucks.
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Advertising

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 04:31:19 PM »
Yep Tom, gotta get the 1876 first.

I am starting out new in this venture so the cash outlay right now is extreme with life going on as it does, but I figure at some point . . .

Thanks for the answer.  I did wonder about how well the cheap sights would work.  Too bad they would sell a wobbly sight--cannot be that hard to re-engineer.  
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com