Offline The Irish Mick

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ouch!
« on: May 01, 2013, 10:55:19 AM »
Gentlemen,
Last week I had an encounter with a diamond back in my yard.  I immediately brought my Norinco 97  into battery, and fired two rounds of 00 buck. ;D  end of problem!
While cleaning my little darlin i discovered that the small of the stock had cracked clear through :o  Well now, this is indeed a problem as this shot gun is my constant companion here in the central highland of Arizona. 8)
I now turn to you learned gentlemen to tell me where I can purchase a replacement stock.  Preferrably an american walnut stock.
Thanks.

-The Irish Mick
Arizona Territory

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline The Irish Mick

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Ouch!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 11:32:02 AM »
Well, I tried them all.  Only Numrich listed them--Soldout! >:(
I gues that I will have to go back to doing repairs like this one the old time way.  Wet raw hide.  Worked in the past, should work right nice on this repair.  Thanks for your help.

-The Irish Mick
Arizona Territory

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:22:20 PM »

Offline Trooper Hook

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 12:37:34 PM »
The link above shows macon gunparts.net it is wrong.If you haven,t try macongunstocks.com/ They show a standard walnut 97 buttstock for $75.They also show fancier more expensive wood stocks for them also.Hope this helps.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 07:11:49 PM »
The Irish Mick,

Have you considered the possible least expensive alternative to you problem?
Why not fix and/or repair what you already have?
Just a thought,
  Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline The Irish Mick

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Ouch!, updated.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 02:05:45 PM »
Hello Trooper Hook,
Well sir, per your suggestion I contacted Macon gun Stock.   :o I was duly impressed with their service, and the '97 butt stocks that they offer.  Their rep said that they will fit the Norinco '97's with very little hand fitting.  And what reallty made my eyes light, the stock is made from American walnut!!!  This is especially important to me as my '97 is a working gun, and I only carry 00, or #4 shot .
The original butt stocks of the Norincos are just not sturdy enough to handle the recoil.
Any way you really helped me, and I hope that the word gets spread around about this company. ;D

-The Irish Mick
 Arizona Territory

Offline The Irish Mick

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 02:14:33 PM »
-Blair,
Before I followed Trooper Hook's suggestion, I thought about just a wet raw hide rap around the small of the stock.  I have done several over the years.  But as I stated above my shot gun is a working gun, not just for shooting AA's.  I use 00, and #4's to keep the Diamond Back population in check.  Some bailing wire, 'n chewing gum would not hold together very long.
Anyway, I do like the looks of my '97, and it will shortly be sporting a very nice American walnut butt stock. ::)  Couldn't ask for anythimg more.

-The Irish Mick
 Arizona Territroy

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 02:59:39 PM »
The Irish Mick,

If you are happy with your choice... then I am too.
However, the type of repair I had in mind was nothing like the repairs you had suggested.
My best,
  Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Trooper Hook

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 06:43:34 AM »
Irish ,glad I could help.Let us know how your new stock looks and fits when you get it :)

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 06:21:46 PM »
Years ago cracked a piece of the top of the stock where it meets the action on a Mossberg.  Stuck it back together with Accra Glass

Prolly 20 to 50 times the rounds have gone thru gun since the repair, it is holding just fine

Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline The Irish Mick

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 05:42:08 PM »
Sir:
The butt stock on my '97 is cracked from the 3 o'clock right through to the the 9 o'clock position.  Oh yes, there is a bighole in the middle of the stock.  I doubt any glue would hold, just not enough to hold onto.  And the recoil from a load of 00 buck shot would soon do a number on it.  One cannot beat good ole American long grain walnut!
I haven't been to town in over a week, so I suspect it will be waiting form when I get there.
I will post an up date at that time.

-The Irish Mick
 Central highlands of the Territory of Arizona

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 08:04:39 AM »
Sir:
The butt stock on my '97 is cracked from the 3 o'clock right through to the the 9 o'clock position.  Oh yes, there is a bighole in the middle of the stock.  I doubt any glue would hold, just not enough to hold onto.  And the recoil from a load of 00 buck shot would soon do a number on it.  One cannot beat good ole American long grain walnut!
I haven't been to town in over a week, so I suspect it will be waiting form when I get there.
I will post an up date at that time.

-The Irish Mick
 Central highlands of the Territory of Arizona

Hi,

Have you tried Cap Coyote? If anyone has them available, I would think he would ... his son used to do stock work ... he did a 'pane-in-pane' stock for me ...

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com