Author Topic: Coach guns  (Read 12978 times)

Offline marshal hoyt

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Coach guns
« on: March 30, 2007, 04:20:23 PM »
Howdy,

New to CAS and need a shotgun.  Did any company make original "coach" guns or were they cut down by users?  If made, who were some of the makers?  Are vintage ones readily available?  Who makes some of the better clones?

Thanks,
Marshal Hoyt

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Coach guns
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 06:36:00 AM »
Morning Marshal,     

You will get more than one response to this posting I am sure,  but many will recommend the TTN coach gun. 

http://www.ttnintinc.com/gunmodels.htm     

I have one and it is a beautiful reproduction.  I plan on shooting it Tomorrow at the first shoot of the year with the  Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company posse. 
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 12:18:49 PM »
Yep, if ya want to shoot a mule ear, TTN is the only way to go....
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:29:35 PM »

Offline Mule Ear Mortensen

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 11:14:28 PM »
Hey now!!!   :o What did I do to anybody to provoke such a forcefull conclusion?!  ;D ;D

STORM # 360
HENRY # 145
SCORRS
RATS # 680

Offline Lead Waster

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 07:35:31 PM »
I bought a hammered double for almost $300 (things that go bang are more expensive in CA). It's made in China, heavy as crap (and sturdy!) and also very stiff, but I've not shot it yet. I'm guessing shooting it a lot will help with that issue.

I think in the old west, they cut down longer shotguns. Pretty weird but it's like coach guns were invented by Wells Fargo coach guards.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 02:34:13 AM »
Sounds like you have yourself a Century SXS "made in China, heavy as crap (and sturdy!) and also very stiff" and that's the going price..
If its new , so you did OK...

While its not a TTn , it is not a bad deal and should serve you well, it can benefit from some tweaking & smoothing.  

two pards of mine have them, and they have been quite sturdy
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Lead Waster

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 05:19:48 PM »
yes, it says Century Arms International on it.

JW-2000, Chinese gun.

It opens and closes really stiffly, I haven't had a chance to clean and re-oil it, though I doubt that will change much.

Any tricks to slicking it up or just ... shoot the crap out of it?

I didn't look at the TTN or whatevers first, I bought it because it was there. Kind of dumb, but it looked solid and that saved me $25 in California gun-haters-fee.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 06:38:50 PM »
Amazing!

No one seems to have read Marshall Hoyt's question.  At least no one answered it...and I'm no exception because 1. I don't know, and 2. I wouldn't own a shotgun with a shorter than 24" barrel.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 08:49:04 PM »
Amazing!

No one seems to have read Marshall Hoyt's question.  At least no one answered it...and I'm no exception because 1. I don't know, and 2. I wouldn't own a shotgun with a shorter than 24" barrel.

I'm guessing Marshall Hoyt probably isn't still waiting for an answer, either.....6 years later.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 12:37:36 AM »
yes, it says Century Arms International on it.

JW-2000, Chinese gun.

It opens and closes really stiffly, I haven't had a chance to clean and re-oil it, though I doubt that will change much.

Any tricks to slicking it up or just ... shoot the crap out of it?

I didn't look at the TTN or whatevers first, I bought it because it was there. Kind of dumb, but it looked solid and that saved me $25 in California gun-haters-fee.

Nope, not dumb , maybe a tad impulsive is all...but it should serve you well.

If you want to smooth it up some , perhaps you'll get some pointers here http://marauder.homestead.com/files/stoeger3.html

Granted this is for the Stoeger ...
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 10:53:00 AM »
Amazing!

I dunno either, and likely no one had a ready answer.      I all these six years (merely a blip in time).

It seems I recall that messenger companies like Wells Fargo owned "coachguns" because I've seen them for sale,but whether they were sawdoffs or factory products is beyond me.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Lead Waster

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 12:58:43 PM »
Oops! Yes, ancient question!

I would guess that a 20 inch barreled shotgun was impractical for everyone except stagecoach guards, so why would any company make them for such a small subset?

I'm guessing (totally guessing) that shotguns were like unhemmed pants. Buy them long and cut to fit! With a "coach gun" you don't care if the bead is cut off with the longer barrel!

My 2 cents (2013 cents, not 1860 cents!)

Oh and yes, my impulse buy of the Chinese double is based on the fact that it was on sale, it was in the store where I bought my Rossi 92, and I didn't want to pay another $25 fee for California paperwork elsewhere (you can put multiple long guns on one DROS form if you buy them at the same time). And it looked decent. I'm sure if I get into this game, I'd move to something else, but I'm already half broke from the Rugers, Rossi, leather, hat and boots! So ... cheaper functional shotgun sounded good to me!

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 01:14:01 PM »
Oops! Yes, ancient question!

I'm guessing (totally guessing) that shotguns were like unhemmed pants. Buy them long and cut to fit! With a "coach gun" you don't care if the bead is cut off with the longer barrel

As Churchill, the gunmaker in England, discovered, a shortened gun WILL SHOOT HIGH, unless the rib or bead is built up.  That is the main reason I try to discourage shooters from amputating otherwise good guns.  Its too easy to shoot over a ground target so why make it even easier TO MISS?
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com