Author Topic: .38 rifles for WB  (Read 15535 times)

Offline Allie Mo

• Very Active Citizen
    • California Gunslingers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: .38 rifles for WB
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2013, 04:19:01 PM »
Hi Papa Irish,

If you want to have input to those who make the WB rules, you need to post on the SASS WBAS site.

My local club has an Open category at monthly matches. It is also the only host of CA State WBAS matches so far.

I have the .45 rifle and ammo, yet I shoot a .38 in the Open category at monthly matches. The reason, it is cheaper.

Although it appears the folks making rules for WBAS aren't likely to change the requirement, maybe you can talk your local MD into an Open category at monthly matches. You might find you love it so much that it is worth it to you to buy a .40 or greater caliber rifle.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2013, 07:48:25 PM »
We allow the 38s but no score at the end. We keep score on each stage. I have no problem letting potential WBers shoot their 38s to, maybe, get them hooked on the game. If they don't get hooked, what the heck.

To igmore these potential WB and SASS members (or present SASS members) is being a little stiff backed.

Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline Okie Sawbones

• Active citizen
    • Wine Lovers' Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2013, 10:09:08 PM »
We allow the 38s but no score at the end. We keep score on each stage. I have no problem letting potential WBers shoot their 38s to, maybe, get them hooked on the game. If they don't get hooked, what the heck.

To igmore these potential WB and SASS members (or present SASS members) is being a little stiff backed.

Unfortunately, you'll find a few of these in CAS and WB. Our club allows an open category just for the purpose of allowing folks to try out WB without investing a bunch of bucks. Common sense.
Okie

NRA Life, VFW Life, DAV Life

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 04:48:47 PM »

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 05:50:02 PM »
That's pretty lame. I'm a few months shy of 71 myself, cancer survivor and active in several shooting disciplines. Having lived through a lot and survived, I'm HAPPY to go out and buy another gun as I expect I'll be using it for at least another decade - or more. 'Sides, it pisses off the antis when someone my age buys a gun.

If you really want to shoot the event, BORROW a rifle! People would be happy to loan a septuagenarian a rifle, even if you outshoot them with their own gun.

What does being a cancer survivor have to do with cowboy shooting? As for me, I'm 76 years old and I've survived cancer twice. The first time it was Chondrosarcoma, a bone cancer of the upper right arm and shoulder. The second time it was Colon cancer. I can't shoot a rifle because of the problems caused by a surgically implanted prosthesis in my upper right arm.

I can't shoot left handed because my right arm won't move enough to hold a rifle up. Are all the rules to be changed just to accomodate my particular handicap? No, they shouldn't be changed at all.

However, I would nevert ask that any rules be modified, that would allow me to compete, which might give me an unfair advantage over someoone else.

Gamers that shoot the .38 special rifles should have their firearms barred, except for their local match's. Shooting a .38 Special, a cartridge only loaded relatively lately in rifles, isn't in the spirit of Cowboy shooting. And, neither is a 45 Colt rifle, in the spirit of cowboy shooting, but it is allowed just the same.

There never was a rifle chambered in .45 Colt, or .38 special, until into the 1970's. So how does that square with the antique firearm rules? Those of you that are historically challenged in your knowledge of firearms and cartridges, should look at the spirit of the game and comply with it, or start your own shooting discipline and shoot with each other.

I'm pretty traditional in all of my outlooks, political and otherwise. And, I think cowboy shooting should stay strictly traditional, using what was available before 1899 and nothing else allowed, but that is just me. Another thing I wouldn't allow is a short stroked rifle in competition. Was there ever a short stroked rifle before 1899?

If you want to shoot and compete, you need to follow the rules. As a person with eight pair of riding boots, (I'm from Montana) I personally would like to see some of the clothing, (pants with belt loops for instance) and footware rules eased, but would that be within the spirit of the game?

Bill

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 06:31:55 PM »
Whoa, Stillwater! Have a SASS-parilla and cool off. You just emphasized my point - enjoy the sport no matter what hand you've been  dealt without expecting the world to accommodate your needs.

As for firearm eligibility in SASS generally, once the .38 Spl. became the darling of the 'race gunners' and those who liked it's comparative lesser costs, the game changed. When I first came in, the game was dominated by .44's and .45's. If you shot a .38 you were regarded as 'light in your Lamas'.
The only six gun I could find at the time was a SS Vaquero in .44 magnum (the days of one gun), and I remember the purists turning their nose up at it as barely acceptable. Until I outshot them with 240 gr .44 Spl. loads, that is.

However, there are enough categories to suit everyone - BP cartridge with historical loads is certainly "Cowboy" enough for anyone.
Next weekend I'll be shooting "Frontiersman" with .44 cap & ball, and it sure ain't  fer lack of guns! I enjoy the challenge and gets me out of the madding crowd.

As for short stroking kits, I'm with you, but we are in the minority. None of my lever actions rifles is anything but stock. 'Twas a time the answer to equipment eligibility was "If John Wayne would use it, it's OK.", but that ain't the case anymore.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Okie Sawbones

• Active citizen
    • Wine Lovers' Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2013, 07:37:40 PM »
Thus the 'OPEN' category. We still have traditional and modern, but allow open to introduce people to WB. If folks want to be sticklers to the rules, they won't like our monthly shoots. At annuals and above, I expect the rules to be adhered to. At monthlies we float out a balloon on occasion and see if it flies, e.g. Cattle Baron, FCGF, etc. I mention these two because they have become popular. Inflexible people need not apply...  :-\
Okie

NRA Life, VFW Life, DAV Life

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 09:22:43 PM »
Aww, I gotta reply to Stillwater.

Colt held the "patent" on the 45 Colt and would not allow anyone to chamber the 45 Colt for about 20 years. No rifle manufacturer thought the 45 Colt in a rifle would sell. In 1985, Winchester brought the '94 in 45 Colt. I would bet because of SASS.

Without addressing the other spirits of the old west, I will use the age old retort. Wild Bill Hickok used a lame 36 caliber cap and ball.

There never was a requirement that we engage in black powder or full house loads 45 Colt. SASS is a game. Nothing else. We are asked to choose an alias and try to put a story behind it. We live our dreams and stay within the white lines of SASS.

I started in 2001 and have traveled for six years from Maryland to Florida and made EOT in 2007. Nobody drank more booze or ate as much prime rib and had as much fun as I did. 

Hi, my name is Red Cent and I am a gamer. Tricked out '73s, tricked out 3 screws (38s), tricked out 1897s. Rigs designed for speed. Light loads. All we have to do is ring steel.

See these guys? Talk about gamers. Look at their rigs.
http://www.thellreed.com/html/the_original_combat_masters.html

Mine. Bought around 1973
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/redcent69/Leather/Holsters020.jpg

My point is: You enjoy SASS, play by the rules and live and let live.

Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2013, 10:15:05 AM »
There are enough SASS categories to meet everyone's interests. At our recent annual club match, we had more BP shooters than smokeless in all calibres/categories and more Duellists than two paw shooters.

Why? 'Cause it's the Cowboy Way and we like to shoot Cowboy. We don't quarrel with the gamers or pop gunners, but we do snicker a little when they miss goin' real fast like.... :>)

Aww, I gotta reply to Stillwater.
See these guys? Talk about gamers. Look at their rigs.
http://www.thellreed.com/html/the_original_combat_masters.html

My point is: You enjoy SASS, play by the rules and live and let live.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com