Author Topic: Uberti Lighting rifles  (Read 12019 times)

Offline Crazeyiven

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uberti Lighting rifles
« on: April 28, 2013, 05:00:02 AM »
Looking for information on the Uberti Lighting rifle (24" Oct.) in 44-40.  Not interested in 45 or 38.

Any comment appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Uberti Lighting rifles
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 09:11:02 AM »
Would you be using it for CAS?  If so they are highly unreliable.  I have seen very few get through an entire stage without a malfunction.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 06:03:40 PM »
I have heard of a few working well but more that did not (not caliber specific).  Of currently available Lightnings, the Pedersoli has the best reputation for working out of the box.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:53:50 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 10:25:55 AM »
I'll second that!

I just sold a Uberti Lightning in .45 Colt. I told the buyer about it's rep as a jammomatic. I loaded it with 10 rds and he fired them off rapid fire without a glitch, hitting a 10" gong at 25 yds with every shot.

He thought I was nuts for selling it and so far he's delighted. I think he'll change his mind the first time it locks up on him in the middle of a string.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 02:59:52 PM »
I think Cimarron is divesting themselves of that product but I also thought theirs were made by Pedersoli?  Seems interest and reputation are both bad but perhaps Abilene could shed some light on this. 

I always wanted one, but all shooters I spoke with scared me right off them so I went with an 1873 and never looked back.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline pakm

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 07:05:59 PM »
I have the pedersoli "lighting" rifle in .44-40. I've shot it in two matches so far. a total of 110 rounds in competition. there have been no FTF's or FTE's.  and it is accurate, very accurate. one target was a 4 inch square piece of tubing at about 30-35 yards.  then it was turned about 45 degrees from you.  during the stage you shot it five times(off hand). I was the only one out of about 40 shooters to get it all five time with my pedersoli in .44-40. as far as my concerned it's my go to rifle for cowboy, shooting at this time. AND NO, My pistols need work,,,, a lot of work. but i"m working on it. I"m pretty good, but old and slow.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 07:27:18 PM »
I think Cimarron is divesting themselves of that product but I also thought theirs were made by Pedersoli?  Seems interest and reputation are both bad but perhaps Abilene could shed some light on this. 

I always wanted one, but all shooters I spoke with scared me right off them so I went with an 1873 and never looked back.

I just saw this older post.  The Lightnings sold by Cimarron were by Pedersoli.  Even though they worked well, they were the most expensive of the Lightnings (Pedersoli must mean "high dollar" in Italian  :D ), and they were slow sellers.  Poor reputations for Lightnings in general did not help any.  So Cimarron sold off remaining inventory at discount (those were pretty good deals).  I think one or two of the other big importers did the same. 

Offline Lucky R. K.

• Purveyor of Fire & Brimstone
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 11:18:17 AM »
The Lightning gets a lot of bad press and I think a lot of it is undeserved.  I own an AWA that works as fast as I can work it with no problems.  I have a friend who owns a Pedersoli that also works fine. 

There are a couple of things to be aware of to get good results shooting one.  They are sensitive to overall cartridge length and bullet nose shape.  The cartridge enters the chamber at a slightly upward angle and if the bullet has an edge,(semi-wad cutter, truncated cone), it can catch and not feed. You also need a good crimp into the bullet with no shoulder of brass to catch on.

The other thing is that you also have to work the slide with authority. 

Having said all that I will tell you that I normally shoot a Uberti '73 instead of the Lightning most of the time.  The Lightning will just not run as fast as a tuned '73  and they are really hard to clean up after a day of black powder.

Lucky
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

Offline cal44walker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 01:40:02 PM »
I've got a Pedersoli Premium Lightning in 44WCF. It works very well indeed and is very accurate as are all my Pedersoli firearms. It is harder to clean than most other breech loading repeaters, its a handfull to work on and its never going to be as fast as a well set up 1866/73. I use it for 50 yard target shooting and informal practice. It's different and a pleasure to use.

PS: I just saw another Uberti Lightning that did not work. The chamber had been cut incorrectly and it would not extract at all. If you're going ot get a Lightning, get a Pedersoli. Anything else and you'll need luck on your side to get a good one.

cal44walker

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 02:39:51 PM »
I managed to find an original in 44-40. Had all kind of English proof marks and stamped all over it.

It had a problem with "stove piping" the next round. Made no difference how hard or easy one worked the action.
All of my checks were done with dummy ammo. It took me a while to find out how I could correct this without altering the firearm.
I had a bunch of dummy .44 S&W Russian rounds made up. I knew these would feed, but, not correct for shooting in the pump action 44WCF Colt.
Not one of these .44 Russian round "stove piped" or otherwise had a feeding issue!
The primary difference was in the OAL of the cartridges and or the center of gravity based on how deep the projectile was set in the cases.
I found a standard 44-40 with a very deeply seated bullet in the case worked, somewhat, well. Not perfect, but well.
At the same time I found in Barns book "Cartridges of the World" a listing for a Marlin/Colt Lighting "Game Getter", in 44-40.
I seemed to be producing this game getter round.
I have not been very impressed with my experiences with this rifle as a result, and have had no interest in duplicating them with any reproduction. (Pedersoli made arms would be the only exception)
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 06:08:44 PM »
  From what i'v read on here,,,,when I do ,,,spend my money  ( and I 'm sure I will),,it'll be for a 44/40 .  Soooo, if it's cheap nuf,and use tird of jack'n w/ it ,, I'd like to try one. Some of the best gun smiths ( for our period of guns ) are "RIGHT HERE" on this forum . I'm  " SURE NOT A GUN SMITH" but I am better at it now ,thanks to this place and  everyone who's been willing to share their knowledge.And when my time comes with a pumper ,,,,,well,, I 'll  know where to come too.

Hootnix.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 04:44:43 PM »
I don't know about the Peds, but the Uberti doesn't have any kind of bolt lock when it's in battery. The slightest rearward pressure on the pump handle unlocks the bolt to where you get a hammer fall, but the merest dent on the primer.

Always made me wonder what would happen if it went ''Bang" in that mode .....
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 06:28:09 PM »
I'm at the SASS convention, and today Lassiter came by and showed me his Taurus Lightning.  It took a lot of work, but he has it working so slick and so well that he won GF category at EOT this year using that and a Chiappa '87.  It was incredibly smooth.  I asked him how fast he can do 10 rounds on a dump target, and I forget what he said but it was around 2 seconds.  And a reload through the top in 1 second.  He has been able to get the Uberti/Beretta working very well also.

Offline cal44walker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 09:23:07 AM »
The Pedersoli has a breech lock/disconnector. At full cock you have to press the lever just forward of the trigger gaurd to unlock the breech. When the hammer has fallen to the fire position then the breech is no longer mechanically locked and can be opened.

cal44walker

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 11:03:14 AM »
The Uberti needs a similar set up. I can't believe they would market a rifle with such a design flaw  - IMHO.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com