Author Topic: What exactly is an "assault weapon" in Colorado?  (Read 5097 times)

Offline HKUriah

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What exactly is an "assault weapon" in Colorado?
« on: April 23, 2013, 07:02:45 PM »

I am still toying with the idea of the going to the world championship on Colorado later this year.  But, I don't want to run afound of the local laws.   What exactly is the definition of a banned "assault weapon" in Colorado.   I am assuming whatever it is takes the Thompson off the table, but I wanna see the rules so I know what I can use.

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: What exactly is an "assault weapon" in Colorado?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 10:37:22 AM »
The state of Colorado has never addressed semi automatic rifles with any law.  The only question we have is this new law that outlaws post July first purchased magazines that hold more than 15 rounds and we're still waiting on a definitive answer there.  As soon as the "enforcement guidelines" are out I'll update everyone ASAP.
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 12:09:02 PM »
This update took a little longer than expected.  The Colorado Attorney General did issue scant guidance a few weeks ago but it wasn't much help. 

First a gun rights attorney friend of mine advised that in his opinion if you owned a magazine that holds more than 15 rounds before July first regardless of where you lived at that time it's legal for you to bring it to Colorado as long as you don't attempt to transfer that magazine while you're here. 

The Colorado Sheriffs’ (all but about 5 of them) are in the middle of a federal lawsuit with the state over this law.  The state and sheriff's stipulated to enforcement guidelines this week while waiting for the suit to go to trial.  With that settled (at least until after Labor Day) I'm now totally comfortable in saying we won't have any problems holding the 2013 AZSA World Championship match.

The county sheriffs of both of Adams County (where we shoot) and Arapahoe County (where the nearest motels are located) are both a party to this lawsuit so I see no problems during the events.  If you’re driving in for the match I would say you’re golden.  Just remember that when the nice policeman asks “you wouldn’t have any objections to my searching you’re car” the answer is always “Yes Sir I do object, you do not have my permission to search my property without a warrant.” 

On the other hand if you plan to fly in through the Peoples Republic of Denver some additional precautions may be in order.  Flying into Denver with your magazines poses no real issues as you'll just be picking up your luggage and leaving the airport. When you leave you’ll have to declare your guns and you then have TSA/DPD to deal with as your flying back out.  I'll offer two options that I believe will work.  One, mail your magazines back to yourself after the match and fly home with just your guns.  This is all perfectly legal and only meant to avoid any delays with the uninformed when you check your guns onto the aircraft.  Two, if you would rather not deal with any questions away from the range (where we’ll be able to easily answer them for you) we each have several magazines we all personally own (I have 2 drums and several 30 Rd. sticks to loan, first come, first serve) that we can just loan to any of you during the day and get them back each night during the match.

Before you ask, I would foresee potential issues mailing magazines to one of us before the match and then mailing them back out after the match.  No, neither of us intend it to be a transfer but we all know common sense and the law are many times mutually exclusive.

G Man
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:06:18 PM »

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4868
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 09:05:47 PM »
Thanks for the well explained information.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com