Author Topic: Brass for new .45-60 shooter  (Read 6268 times)

Offline harleydavis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #C31 SASS #3740 NRA GAF #394 5th Minn. Infry
  • SASS #: 3640
  • NCOWS #: C31
  • GAF #: 934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Brass for new .45-60 shooter
« on: April 19, 2013, 02:15:07 PM »
Well, now that you fellers on this Forum have had such a "Dark Side" influence on me, I went and picked up a Cimarron '76 in .45-60. Apparantly, brass appears to be a rare commodity these days and so, cant even shoot the durned thing. Anyone have 20 extra brass to spare? I would buy it or trade you for some new when I can get it. BA says that Jamison has been bought out so nothing is being produced currently but will eventually and Starline doesnt offer it. RAther not have the cut down .45-70 if I can get the right stuff from the git go. Just runnin' it up the flag pole..........
Regards,
I remain, respectfully,
Harley Davis
"I do not believe in ghosts so I do not burn a candle waiting for them. As to the killing of a bad man, when it comes to a fight, it is the other man or me. And when the deed is done, why bother the mind? Afterall, the killing of a bad man should not bother anymore than the killing of a rat, a vicious cat or an ugly dog" James Butler Hickok when asked if he ever thought about the men he had killed.

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: Brass for new .45-60 shooter
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 05:56:47 PM »
Would help Ya ifn I could Pard . But have 76 brass in 40-60 wcf and 45-75 wcf . No 45-60. Bet some pard's here can fix you up. Ifn you dont get any help. Let me know ,I have lot's of 45-70 case's I'll cut some down fer Ya . .....Dusty.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 07:31:31 PM »
Not sure why you are adverse to shortened 45-70 brass.?    I have used it with great success in both original and reproduction rifles.  No down side that I can see, other than you don't have the headstamp....

In any case, congratulations  on your rifle, and welcome to the fire! ;D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:45:21 PM »

Offline harleydavis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 07:52:51 PM »
Dont suppose it is really an adversion, been reading the different posts on the slight difference of rim thickness. From my understanding, probably isnt much of an issue with the repros as it is for originals. I suppose I would consider trimmed case. I am not set up that well for cutting them down if I dont have to. Have a machinist that could do it for me easily if worse comes to worse. Local shops do not have .45-70 either so I am back to the beginning. I hope the current silliness with brass & primers  & bullets goes away pretty soon.
I remain, respectfully,
Harley Davis
"I do not believe in ghosts so I do not burn a candle waiting for them. As to the killing of a bad man, when it comes to a fight, it is the other man or me. And when the deed is done, why bother the mind? Afterall, the killing of a bad man should not bother anymore than the killing of a rat, a vicious cat or an ugly dog" James Butler Hickok when asked if he ever thought about the men he had killed.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 09:12:02 PM »
PM me your information, and I will send you 20 cases, Amigo.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline harleydavis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 07:32:21 AM »
Gotta give a public "Much obliged" to Griz fer gettin me enough casings to start shootin my new rifle. Some good fellers here, thats fer sure. I look forward to using the discussions about loads & sights as  I get familar with this rifle. I have attached a pic of my new '76.
Regards,
I remain, respectfully,
Harley Davis

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 09:49:13 PM »
Jamison has a note saying the first brass they will be producing this run is the 1876 cartridges.  Whether that pans out or not is anyone's guess but that is upgraded information so . . .

Jamison Captech will be producing brass shortly the 300 Blackout, the Winchester 76 calibers (40-60, 45-60, 45-75, 50-95) and the 256 Win Mag, 351 WSL, 357 Max will be the first run.

Now might be the time to order some.

Quality cartridge lists .45-60 brass as currently being in stock at about 2.00 a pop.

http://www.qual-cart.com/458%20cal.htm

Cheers
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Thomas (Tom) Horn aka James Hicks

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS#86684 Wartrace Regulators
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 11:24:27 PM »
Since you bought a Cimarron '76...it is a Uberti.  Cut down 45-70 brass will not cause you any loading problems or feeding problems... unless you use the WRONG OAL for your bullet length.  If you reload and you do not adhere to the correct OAL I will guarantee you will have feeding problems... the '76 is just like the Henry, the '66 and the '73, it is just a little bigger, consider it on steroids. The correct OAL for the 45-60 is 2.250" violate that by going over... she ain't going to work!  You will never have a problem with using 45-70 brass cut.  Trim the 45-70 brass to a length of 1.88" and then seat your bullet so that the OAL is 2.250" or a little less, and you will be good to go. Jamison brass I am told will have a run sometime in late May or early June.
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Offline harleydavis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 07:24:38 AM »
Thank you for the advice on the cut down brass. I have some Jamison on order with BA and I also order some of their cutdown .45-70 version. the fellow at BA thought there was a good chance they would be able to provide the cutdown version sooner than Jamison would provide any. apparantly Jamison has been bought out and there is a movement of production facilities. I will use the cutdowns that Griz has so kindly provided to get started in the meantime. Heck we still got snow on the ground in Minnesota!! Crazy weather.
I remain, respectfully,
Harley Davis

Offline harleydavis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 10:30:41 AM »
FYI on the brass situation. I had emailed Starline last week to see if they would ever produce .45-60 brass. I recieved a reply today that due to their current backlog on existing production, they have no intention of adding any new product to their lineup. No .45-60 from Starline.
I remain, respectfully,
Harley Davis

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com