Author Topic: Rolling Block Rifle  (Read 4135 times)

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
Rolling Block Rifle
« on: April 18, 2013, 08:40:40 PM »
Hi y'all.  Got a quick question.   What year did the Rolling block hit the market and what calibers?   I'm writing a book and need to know so I don't arm him too early.....

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Re: Rolling Block Rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 09:05:22 PM »
1867 in .46 Rimfire & .50 Rimfire. No one knows exactly when they introd 44-77 & 50-70 but after 1869.

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 09:36:55 PM »
There was a rolling block musket conversion that came out not long after the end of the Civil War. They have the '66 patent date so would be later than the summer of '66. Caliber was 58 US Musket centerfire. Ammo usually used bar anvil primers. It looks like a rimfire. The 50-70 two band and three band conversions came out about the same time, or very shortly afterward.

There were also the split breech carbines. These look like a rolling block, but the action locks up differently. These were in 46 Ballard and 56-50 Spencer rimfire. The 46 cal. deliveries started in Feb. of '65, while the 50s came in later in '65 after the war was over. 

The '67 Navy carbine deliveries started in '68. These were in 50-45 Carbine/Cadet centerfire. This is the same cartridge used in the 1867 Trapdoor cadet rifle and the prototype 1868 Trapdoor carbines. The first delivery was rejected because the rifling was cut too deep, so those RB carbines didn't hit the fleet until 1869 or so. 95 were overruns that were sold on the civilian market, probably in '68. This one would be a good candidate for a an early civilian Rolling Block purchase. They are handy guns, shoot well and are easy to carry on horseback, even thought they don't have a saddle ring.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:39:29 PM »

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 12:40:27 AM »
Thanks guys, very helpful.  Yeah, at the moment the book is taking place in the summer/fall of '66, so he has a Springfield '61 musket, but he is going to lose that somehow and need a replacement heavy rifle.  But trying to be historically accurate and all, I didn't want a futuristic rifle.  His Winchester '66 is really pushing it....   Though I will tell you he carries two Remington NMA revolvers.  ;D

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 09:25:57 AM »
You could change that '66 into a Henry, except for how they load there ain't a nickel's difference.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 09:51:57 AM »
I thought about that, but the Winchester sorta adds to the effect being something special.  I've got a good background idea on how he gets it, but haven't been able to get it on paper yet.

--TK

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 11:15:26 AM »
I can't recall the reference, but I recall hearing that Goodnight & Loving equipped their crew with Remington split-breech carbines for their first drive during the summer of 1866.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 07:20:24 PM »
I don't think it was Goodnight and Loving but the first drive after the war records the Drovers as being armed with the Remington.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 07:51:20 PM »
I can't recall the reference, but I recall hearing that Goodnight & Loving equipped their crew with Remington split-breech carbines for their first drive during the summer of 1866.

It was Nelson Story.  ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Story

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 12:15:48 AM »
Well!  At least I got the year correct. 8) 8)
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com