Author Topic: Bone handle advice needed  (Read 4811 times)

Offline wyldwylliam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bone handle advice needed
« on: April 16, 2013, 08:50:39 PM »
Howdy Boys.

I just hung a Green River blade with bone scales, which at this point are a shiny white.

I would like to get them looking like the old yellowish color you sometimes see on old ivory-handled pistols and knives.

Any info I can get on how to do this without waiting a hundred years or so would be mighty appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Bone handle advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 10:27:58 PM »
Try tea or coffee...

Make sure that either one's strong - then swab it on - the pores will absorb it.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Slickshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 10:55:31 PM »
Are Green River Knives that good?  I am thinking about buying one...

Slickshot

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:29:59 PM »

Offline Camano Ridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 11:19:17 PM »
Coffee and tea will work. Also Ptassium Premanginate crystals in water or fiebings leather dye. Cut the leather dye with alcahol for better penitration. I usually collor my antler before putting on the knife. Is your knife stainless or carbon steel?

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 12:41:37 AM »
Green River knives are basically old-time butcher knives - with several blade configurations.

They're made of decent steel and are easily sharpened - and for those who need a 'period' working knife - they were actually there during the period.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 11:31:35 AM »
I am working on the personna of an old buffalo hunter ... who has been known to butcher occasionally ... Big T put bone handles on my new Green River, and it just looked too pretty and cute ...

So I had this walnut stain sitting around from and done leather project ... I used a bush to wipe it on and it 'looked' like it could have been used on a buffalo ... 'course the blade is still pristine ...

The smaller knife is a matching knife that Big T gave me  ....... I am in the process of making non-studded 'indian style ' plain holsters to put on the cartirdge belt ...Chuck Burrows is stamping the chape and tongue for it and after they are applied I am having it suede backed ...

I am of two minds about the grips for he smaller knife .... I would like to have them in matching stained bone ... but then again they are the original grips .... I would love to hear comments ....

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline wyldwylliam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 05:52:39 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions fellows, good info there.

As to the GR knives, as St George says, they were there, becoming widely available, iirc, in the early 1850's. There were many similar types of butcher and utility knives available, but the GRers were the most famous, used by most buff hunters, Indians, cowboys, trappers etc. Some folks will try to tell you they were used by the Mtn. Men, but they were a bit too late for that.

They are certainly not the last word in blade steel, but they were and are inexpensive and I have butchered a number of big game animals with them and they work admirably. They take a wicked edge very easily, any I've ever seen or used are carbon steel but I think they may also make some in stainless for modern kitchen use.

Offline wyldwylliam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 08:53:58 PM »
Hi again.

I ended up using Fiebing's leather dye, first a wash of yellow followed by brown, wiped off and repeated several times. When dry I re-polished on a 20 micron belt and the whole works actually did turn out looking like old ivory.

Thanks for the help, all.

Offline Camano Ridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 11:14:31 PM »
So wheres the pictures?   ???

Offline wyldwylliam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 03:26:39 PM »
Sorry 'bout that, way beyond my skill set. :-\

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 04:29:05 PM »
Wyldwylliam ,I'll help a pard out . Just send that ole gegaw down here too Texas,and I'll take a pic. of it fer ya. .......Dusty.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com