Author Topic: Historic Afton Canyon on the Mohave River  (Read 3557 times)

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
Historic Afton Canyon on the Mohave River
« on: April 09, 2013, 02:10:28 PM »
Afton Canyon was created about 18,000 years ago by a massive torrent from a now extinct inland lake. It was part of the old Mohave trail that was traveled by Indians for thousands of years, Franciscans in the 1700s, and explored by Jedediah Smith in 1826. John Freemont traveled through it on his way from New Mexico to California during the Mexican-American War. It would later be the site of several Indian war skirmishes through the 1850s and 60s. This is the main trail aka. the "Old Mojave Road" that connected Camp Cady to Fort Mojave 144 miles away on the Colorado River. It is one of my favorite places and is always a great time when going.

I went in there with a group of 16 people with 4-trucks. My friend brought his quads for everyone to ride. After 4-wheeling it back several miles and fording 2-river crossings, we finally broke out the quads to really get into the brush. We finished the day going deep into the caves that have been used by indians and frontiersmen for generations. There were a series of cliffs to climb. My friend Lonny and I free-climbed the main cliff to set up the rappelling lines to help get the kids and other people up-down to the top of the mountain. I thought I'd share some pics with my fellow Western enthusiasts.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
Re: Historic Afton Canyon on the Mohave River
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 02:12:47 PM »
Here are some more pictures of my friends, family and I going down into the caves.

-Dave

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 04:01:20 PM »
Here's a shot of me helping feed people down into the hole. My friend Lonny, caving with his 2-year old securely attached in a back harness.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:57:12 PM »

Offline Lumpy Grits

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 01:00:38 AM »
Just as pretty as I remember it.
THX for the pictures.
LG
'Hav'n you along-Is like loose'n 2 good men'

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 12:14:56 PM »
Thanks Lumpy,

I'm glad there are people here who have seen this place. It is on the must-do list if you havent. Because this was the main highway into northern Arizona, Nevada and Utah from the mountain man era right up through the end of the 19th century it is an ideal spot for a period trek. I would like to try it with some pards in either the Spring or Fall.

It would be an interesting experience to dig wells in the quicksand and have a seminar on period water decontamination. I think it would be good experience to chalk up and a great place for horses. The summer is way to hot during the daytime for working livestock so I think that the spring and winter months would be ideal.

-Dave

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 09:43:01 PM »
Beautiful
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com