Author Topic: USFA terminology question regarding Ivory Grips  (Read 5985 times)

Offline ArkieSharpie

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
USFA terminology question regarding Ivory Grips
« on: March 27, 2013, 10:54:37 AM »
Hello Fellow USFA enthusiasts, If the end of the USFA box is marked "2 pc HR(Old Ivory) smooth reg style does it mean the grips are real ivory or one of the synthetics? They are two piece grips.Thank you fellow Cas enthusiasts for your knowledge.

I am a newbie to this forum but I love USFA single actions and only recently started acquiring them when they were getting publicity that there would be no more. They are so nicely finished and in my humble opinion surpass Colt's production of SAA's
in the same time period as when USFA made them.

Offline GaryG

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: USFA terminology question regarding Ivory Grips
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 12:08:53 PM »
Are these grips checkered?  They had a checkered grip just like the black HR but in an ivory color.  They mostly went on the 12/22.  They also  had a HR that was an ivory looking synthetic.  It was a smooth grip and in 2 piece only.  This was a solid ivory color.  No graining.  If it was Tru Ivory, it would say Tru Ivory on the box label.  Also, what is the model of the gun?  That should be on the end label also. 

Offline ArkieSharpie

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 04:47:48 PM »
The model is a 3" barreled sheriff. the box says HR(old ivory) and they are smooth 2 pc grips. I am sure now that they are synthetic.Thanks a lot

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:06:39 PM »

Offline GaryG

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 06:58:50 PM »
Sounds like the 200 Sheriff models done for Lew Horton many years.  50 each done with the Rodeo, Rodeo II, Full Dome blue and CC finishes.  As I remember, the Full Dome and CC both had the synthetic ivory.

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 01:25:48 AM »
I believe they were designated the "Sheriff Special" and the year was 2008 (issued during USFA's 15th anniversary year).  I bought one of the 50 CCH models.  To the best of my knowledge, this was the only model to ever have the circled "US" stamped on the left side of the frame where Colt stamps their pony logo.
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline GaryG

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 06:39:30 AM »
Good point on the US oval.  There were also a few other "non special" guns that were made with the oval also.  In addition to the Sheriff Specials, there were also 200 (50 each in the four finisishes) made with with ejectors.   These early Storekeeper models were designed so that the ejector tube had to be taken off to get the cylinder out.  The channel in the tube was later designed to alleviate this problem. 

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 08:58:03 AM »
OP

Tru Ivory grips are NOT real ivory.  That is a brand name of synthetic ivory looking grip. Tru Ivory brand is quite nice and the best out there as far as synthetic ivory grips.  

GaryG would be able to tell you if USFA ever put real Ivory on their guns as he was a valued employee of the company.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 01:12:08 PM »
USFA did offer real ivory as an option.  I have a special order gun fitted with one piece ivory grips.
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline GaryG

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 02:11:01 PM »
On the end label, real Ivory was labeled "Ivory", Tru Ivory as "Tru Ivory", and USFA's own synthetic was called "US Ivory".  The US Ivory came in 2 colors - a solid cream and a yellow.    Didn't do much yellow.  The initial JW Red River guns came with Tru Ivory but changed shortly thereafter to US Ivory.  Speaking of grips, you can't imagine the number of calls that came in from dealers/customers looking for the wood grips on their Rodeo II.  USFA called these brown grips "Burlwood".

Offline Highlander999

• Top Active Citizen
  • We don't rent pigs.
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 02:37:54 PM »
I have some tru-ivory and some elephant ivory grips.  At first glance they look a bit the same.  But look at the butt of the grips.  You can see the growth lines or schreger lines as they are called on the elephant ivory grips.  the imitation grips will not show those.
“I have, in my day, thieved cattle, your lordship. But none that were under my watch” (“Is that what passes for honor with a MacGregor”, Earl of Montrose), “What passes for honor with me, is likely not the same as with your Lordship, when my word is given, it is good”
                     (Rob Roy)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com