Author Topic: Fire lapping barrels  (Read 6047 times)

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Fire lapping barrels
« on: March 21, 2013, 10:00:02 AM »
Howdy Folks,

I have ordered a Fire Lapping kit from MidwayUSA and plan on trying it on some of my guns.  Has anyone done this and if so how did it work out for you?  I figure I'll try it on my Chappy 45-75 first and see if it reduces leading and or improves accuracy.

Silver Rings
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Offline Thomas (Tom) Horn aka James Hicks

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS#86684 Wartrace Regulators
  • Liked:
Re: Fire lapping barrels
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 10:05:01 PM »
SRings- I emailed you the results that I had.  For you folks that have never fire lapped a rifle... Fire Lapping will do two (things) for you... It will get you tighter shot groups and it will reduce leading. Since Wheeler does not tell you how to do it, here is my suggestion or the way I did it. Buy the Wheeler Lapping Kit from Midway, you will get three grits of Lapping Compound. It comes in 220 grit / 320 grit / 600 grit. For my 45-60 I used Sierra 300 grain HPFB jacketed bullets on top of 25 grains of 5744 smokeless powder and Jamison Brass. I fired 10 rounds with bullet coated with 220 grit compound; then without cleaning the bore, I fired 10 rounds coated with 320 grit then I fired 20 rounds with the bullets coated with the 600 grit. I then cleaned the bore in the following manner... Using JB Compound (non-embedding) I used 5 patches covered with JB paste compound (non-embedding) and with each patches i ran it up and down 10 to 15 times. I then used dry patches to clean up next to the last clean-up patch I used a patch soaked with oil (3 in 1) and then enough dry patchs to eliminate the oil. END RESULT: The bore looks like a shiney chrome bumper. Shooting results: At 200 yards on a white steel plate I shot 5 rounds; the 5 round shot group was the size of a baseball.  Before I lapped the bore I could fire 5 rounds and the shot group would be the size of a volley ball and sometimes even bigger. Fire lapping does help in tightening up your shot groups ... but the best part is that you will not have a leading problem after you fire lap the barrel. That is how I did it.
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Offline Snapshot

• Very Active Citizen
  • Aim Small - Miss Small
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 03:23:05 PM »
Thanks this was realy helpfull. I also read the slick up on the net!
I am going to slick up my Chappy 45-60 and bore lap it to.
Thanks for the input on bouth topics, I`ll let you know how it works when I`m done with it.

Bet Regards
Snapshot,   Norway
Honour is like a an island, steep and without a shore.
Once you leave you can newer return.!

General Johan Von Ewald, Danish/Norwegian Army Until 1813

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:45:34 AM »

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 09:42:15 PM »
I meant to add this and forgot... When FIRE LAPPING-

Load each round coated with the lapping compound and fire it as though the rifle is a SINGLE SHOT RIFLE...do not let the coated ammo go up into the magazine tube. ALSO and this is IMPORTANT... When Fire Lapping the bore... DO NOT USE HOT LOADS. Use starting loads and maybe back off some from that... the lapping compound will cause the rifle to build up more pressure than normal.
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Offline frimath

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 09:12:43 AM »
When cleaning with " JB" do you really mean " WELD" .................or " bore compound".....?? :o

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 11:12:09 AM »
When cleaning with " JB" do you really mean " WELD" .................or " bore compound".....?? :o

+1
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 03:24:02 PM »
Frimath- JB Weld makes a paste and that is the name... JB Weld Paste. It is a compound and it is very effective in cleaning the bores of your pistols and or rifles. It is sold at two places I know and probably other places... Brownell's and MidSouth Shooters.  I do not know what "grit" the paste comes in somewhere between 220 and 320... ifn you have the hankering and do not have anything else to do, you can make the bores of your pistols or rifles look like shiny chrome bumpers.  The fire lapping also will shine the bores. As stated.. the Fire Lapping will tighten up your shot groups and it will eliminate any leading you may have.  For those folks who do not want to FIRE LAP their rifles or pistols... you can get the same results using the JB Weld Paste... It just takes longer and a lot of up and down motion with patches over the jag... If you want to do it with the JB Paste takes about 10 patches coated with the JB Weld Paste, run each of the 10 patches up and down about 20 to 25 times. Then use some dry patches to clean out the JB Weld Paste. Use a patch soaked with your favorite oil/lube and then dry patches to clean out the oil... the bore when fini will look like a shiny chrome bumper... accuracy is improved and no leading afterwards.

Offline Snapshot

• Very Active Citizen
  • Aim Small - Miss Small
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 02:29:31 PM »
I did the slicing up or tuning of the 45-60 Chappy, sweeeet it is now  ;D

The lever woorks much more smooth and the trigger, light pull as well.

I am going to firelap soon, thanks again for the info and the aditional one shot at the time info to.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 07:31:04 PM »
About three (3) years ago I wrote an article for Marauder's Website with pictures... go to Marauder's Old Irons Page, click on Rifle Tuneups, scroll down to "Slicking up the Winchester 1876" or click here and it will take you there. How to do an "action job" on the 45-60. The instructions do not say anything about the 45-75 but you can use the instructions for that rifle also.

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Slicking_the_1876.pdf

Not to beat my drum, but ifn you follow my instructions on that posting I will gaurantee it will make your 45-60 slicker than grease. Then when you lever the rifle it will not sound like an army tank, your lever hand will not be sore from levering and in general it makes the 45-60 a "FUN GUN" to shoot. I shoot both the Chaparral (Chappy) and the Uberti '76 Centennial Rifle in 45-60... I prefer the Uberti (my opine, i think it is better made than the Chaparral) but they both shoot great. Now that I have "Fire Lapped" both of them, they shoot even better.  To make them smooth as silk, you do not have to be out xtra bucks to some gunsmith... what I call the "Poore Richard Action Job"... anyone can do it. If you love the 45-60 or your 45-75 do the action work... you will love it more... nuff said.

Offline Snapshot

• Very Active Citizen
  • Aim Small - Miss Small
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 02:02:36 PM »
Yes I did follow your instructions to the letter, and I am going to try some new loads on this coming thuesday at the range!
It is an understatment to say I am exited, but have to behive my self! It is unwourthy for an officer to show exitment! ;D
The rifle is now slick as can be and the barrel shines like a mirror!  Ihhaaaaaww

Thanks again!
Sbnapshot,  Norway

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 10:34:34 AM »
Howdy Folks,

I fire lapped my 1876 45-60 a few months ago but just got out yesterday for the first time  to try it.  The fire lapping reduced the groups by 50% or more.  I didn't send much time shooting paper other than to adjust the sights.  I was able to hit the 160 yd plate easily.  I also could hit the 250 yd plate easy.  I then moved to the 500 yd buffalo, which is a full size buffalo target.  Once I got the sight set for the distance I hit it 3 times in a row.  I switched  to the coyote target, also life size, and managed to hit it 2 out of 6 tries.  All shooting was done of a sturdy bench using sand bags and iron sights.

I am very pleased with the results of the fire lapping.

Silver Rings
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com