Author Topic: Single Action Reloading on the Clock  (Read 12190 times)

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
Re: Single Action Reloading on the Clock
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 09:28:29 PM »
As I said I'm slow with any of them but actually I always felt like the sites were better on a Schofield for acquisition of the target. My wife shoots a Schofield and that is one of her big reasons for doing so besides the easy loading and unloading feature.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2013, 12:07:45 PM »
Just thinking laterally here:
Using a 1875 Remington, would it be within the rules to remove the cylinder, dump the empties, load the cylinder in your hand and replace it and advance it to the empty cylinder on half cock?

Howdy Pard,

I believe you're thinking the 1858/1863 NMA Remingtons since the 1875 & 1888-90 versions have a loading gate & removable cylinder pin similar to a Colt.  I don't see any advantage to pulling out that loooooong 1875 cylinder pin just to take out the cylinder for a reload.  ESPECIALLY since the originals and the 1st Uberti reproductions had the original setscrew required to remove the cyl. pin rather than the UN-authentic Colt-type crosspin release that Uberti uses on their (otherwise) excellent 1875/1890 reproduction revolvers.

Using the aforementioned NMA cylinder, yes - taking the cylinder out and reloading it would be fine.  Some folks also acquire spare cylinders and carry them.  (BOTH types; the C&B cylinders OR the converted ones - at a pretty steep price, I might add)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Gloucestre

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 06:00:44 AM »
Gday mate,
I was thinking the 75 (I have 58's also)
I know what you mean, I was really thinking about how slow it is to punch out the 5 empties (well for me anyway ;))
Like I said, just thinking out loud.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 08:38:33 PM »

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 05:31:24 PM »
Mike:
We The Berger Sharpshooters are at Greenville, TX, which is about 4 hours from OKC or less.  We shoot 1st Sat and 3rd Sunday. Come on down if you have the time.   I like Winchester 231 and WST with 200 gr bullets in a .45  Both shoot well.
T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2013, 06:50:07 PM »
The biggest reason we don't have revolver reloads in a big match, it slows down the time to complete a stage. Sometimes even causes a bottle neck. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2013, 07:18:44 PM »
It is amazing what you get used to.

At our Blue River Regulators (Nebraska) matches Working Cowboy reloads on every stage. You get a lot of practice reloading in, not to mention fun.
Perhaps one of the reasons Range Detective (2 revolvers and 1 rifle) is the single most popular class shot at our meets.

Like Working Cowboy, you don't need a cart to shoot Range Detective. Carry your ammunition and necessaries in a saddlebag or carpetbag and your rifle in the other hand.

RCJ

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2013, 01:06:29 PM »
The biggest reason we don't have revolver reloads in a big match, it slows down the time to complete a stage. Sometimes even causes a bottle neck. Tj

...and it gives break-top shooters a distinct advantage.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2013, 02:28:40 PM »
If it's just a load an extra round it's not terribly bad. A complete reload is certainly a distinct advantage to the break top.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com