Author Topic: Navy Arms 1873 SAA revolver  (Read 7962 times)

Offline rbgfishboy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Navy Arms 1873 SAA revolver
« on: March 14, 2013, 06:52:07 PM »
Hey folks - I ran across a hardly used Navy Arms SAA revolver a few days ago, made by Uberti. Has anyone had any experience with these? Any bad and good things about them? I don't shoot cowboy action, but am just a single action fan. I've surfed the web a little and I keep running across posts on other forums where people talk about Uberti's lack of quality prior to around 2000 or 2001. I can't find any information as to when this gun was made, so I thought I would try here. If anyone has any info to pass along, I would greatly appreciate it. I currently own one Uberti in .357 magnum, which has been a great gun, and I'd like to buy this one, since it is a .45. Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: Navy Arms 1873 SAA revolver
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 06:29:05 AM »
Where the proof marks are there should be a 2 letter date code like AN or BH. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Michael Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 07:24:28 AM »
Here is the reference sheet. Hope it helps.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:07:37 AM »

Offline rbgfishboy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 07:30:50 AM »
Hey, this is great! Thanks to both of you! My only other question is where do I look for the proof mark? Also, another - do either of you know when Uberti did away with the flat leaf hand spring and changed to the coil and plunger? Thanks again! This is exactly what I needed.

Offline rbgfishboy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 07:47:11 AM »
Hey guys, I found the proof mark. I have a Uberti and looked at it. Thanks again!

Offline harleydavis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #C31 SASS #3740 NRA GAF #394 5th Minn. Infry
  • SASS #: 3640
  • NCOWS #: C31
  • GAF #: 934
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 09:31:38 AM »
I have Navy Arms Uberti SAA 7.5" barrel, Old Frame model, bought it nearly 20 years ago. I have fired several thousand rounds through it with virtually no problems, both Black Powder & smokeless loads. It is an accurate revolver. I couldnt be more pleased. I have EMF Hartford "Cavalry" model as well that has given me the same flawless years of performance.
I remain, respectfully,
Harley Davis
"I do not believe in ghosts so I do not burn a candle waiting for them. As to the killing of a bad man, when it comes to a fight, it is the other man or me. And when the deed is done, why bother the mind? Afterall, the killing of a bad man should not bother anymore than the killing of a rat, a vicious cat or an ugly dog" James Butler Hickok when asked if he ever thought about the men he had killed.

Offline Michael Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 05:50:14 PM »
I have Navy Arms Uberti SAA 7.5" barrel, Old Frame model, bought it nearly 20 years ago. I have fired several thousand rounds through it with virtually no problems, both Black Powder & smokeless loads. It is an accurate revolver. I couldnt be more pleased. I have EMF Hartford "Cavalry" model as well that has given me the same flawless years of performance.

I have the same one except for the barrel lenght. Outstanding!
As far as the springs go... I do know that 2013 series have this adjustable spring instead of a leaf one. It's a good thing unless you are for original set up with leaf. New models also have a bar safety. Otherwise gorgeus looking sixguns!
I'm sure someone will know something more about dates here for Uberti.
Good luck!

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 06:49:14 PM »
Hey, this is great! Thanks to both of you! My only other question is where do I look for the proof mark? Also, another - do either of you know when Uberti did away with the flat leaf hand spring and changed to the coil and plunger? Thanks again! This is exactly what I needed.

The years varied as to when the hand spring became a coil spring.  Started with the Cimarrons and later went to all the Uberti SAA's (their percussion and Opentops/conversions still use the flat hand spring).  If you remove the backstrap (two screws on top rear on either side of the hammer and the screw in the bottom of the butt), you will see a tiny setscrew above the left side backstrap screw hole in the frame if it has a coil hand spriing.  Or if it was one of the "transition" models it could possibly have a hollow left-side backstrap screw that contains the hand spring and plunger.

Offline rbgfishboy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 07:40:52 PM »
Abilene - Thanks! I have a Uberti El Patron which has the plunger and spring for the hand, but I think it was made in 2011, so since Navy Arms stopped importing guns in 2003, I figure this Navy Arms SAA might posibly be old enough to have the flat hand spring. Its no big deal, I was just curious if anyone knew when Uberti made the change.

Offline rbgfishboy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 08:15:53 PM »
Well, I bought it and it's a beauty! All I need to do is shoot it!

Offline petrinal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 10:04:20 AM »
Hey folks - I ran across a hardly used Navy Arms SAA revolver a few days ago, made by Uberti. Has anyone had any experience with these? Any bad and good things about them? I don't shoot cowboy action, but am just a single action fan. I've surfed the web a little and I keep running across posts on other forums where people talk about Uberti's lack of quality prior to around 2000 or 2001. I can't find any information as to when this gun was made, so I thought I would try here. If anyone has any info to pass along, I would greatly appreciate it. I currently own one Uberti in .357 magnum, which has been a great gun, and I'd like to buy this one, since it is a .45. Thanks in advance for any help!

my experience is that they are not accurate. Mine is 20 years old,  and for playing around is a good gun, but not for serious accuracy.

one day:

25 meters, one hand

other day, same load:

and on an on...I just cant trust this revolver for serious accuracy. The chambers differ in dimesions from one to the other,  as they are too large, around 11,62 mm in diameter,  and are not perfectly round (the drill was blunt or wrongly sharpened?) and the bore is too small for such big chambers, around 11,48 mm.

Both my  COLT and Taurus Gaucho  are more logical in  chamber dimensions (around 11,58 mm  and are perfectly round especially the COLT). With both  brands I got much better accuracy than with the Uberti. More consistent...in other words, if you found a good load, you just have to do your part...but not with UBERTI...one day great, next day, same load, you do your part...and the gun will let you down...(it happened to me once in  bullseye competition, where accuracy does matter).

because of the too large chambers, I tend to get more cracked cases in my reloads, and more leading in the rifling too, something that I fix quickly with the excellent Blue Wonder gel.

however the steel seems good, better than softer Piettas, and has never failed me, but the trigger bolt and hammer, that  needed replacement with time.

if you dont shoot bulls eye at serious distances, like 25 yards or meters, it is a good option, but years away from other brands.

all the best

pd: note that the gun is more "aged" in the first picture. There some days of difference between both pictures, days that dedicated to "aging".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com