Author Topic: Your recommendations on a good old west boot?  (Read 10275 times)

Offline Cinnamon Kid

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Your recommendations on a good old west boot?
« on: March 14, 2013, 02:52:39 PM »
Hey friends, I'm looking for men's 'ol west' boots, and am wondering if anyone has a recommendation? Where did you get yours from? Are you happy with them? I have seen a few with prices ranging from 120 to 250 dollars. I want a good boot, but I cannot afford to spend $250 or more for a boot I may only were ten days out of the year or my wife might take up hide skinning. Any suggestions?

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Your recommendations on a good old west boot?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 03:45:45 PM »
There are several things here that one needs to consider,

1 st. is comfort.
2 nd. is quality of manufacture. (known as "GOOD")
3 rd. is historical authenticity.
4 th. "maybe" Period occupation.

$250.00 is rather inexpressive once all of these are considered.
My suggestion is to go for comfort first. After all, if I am going to spend this kind of cash... I'm going to wear them a lot more than ten days in a year. You will too if they are made right.
A place I would suggest starting a search would be "Missouri Boot & Shoe Co." maybe?
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 04:07:25 PM »
See Delmonico Fort Frontier Durango high tops with ears,i have two pair regular for everyday boot the black square toed,the brown knee high for reinacting,COMFY! Cain't be beat and company extroidenuer~~~ :)

http://www.fortwestern.com/fort-frontier/
Bunch a ole scudders!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:52:45 PM »

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 06:51:10 PM »
Hi,

What Rick said ... in my opinion there is not a better boot for the price ... and I especially appreciate not having soaking wet frostbitten feet on those early AM dew-is-still-on-the-roses (and everything else) stages ...

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 08:33:37 PM »
And if ya want you can tuck the ears down the boot or decorate them with tacks,conchos,and velcro them down :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 03:36:39 PM »

I got the top pair from the Fort about 6+ years ago and have worn the devil out of them. this is what they look like after a day on the range.

The black pair I got from an ad in the SASS classified. I took a chance and got them they were exactly my size and in a WW. I got them for $100 shipped. They didn't even have any scuffs on the bottoms. The feel like a fine leather wallet, and are some of the most comfortable foot wear I ever have worn....

so, there are a couple of choices for you...

I paid about $120 for them and they still have plenty of wear in them

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 04:01:45 PM »
I totally agree with the Fort Western boots. I have a pair that were comfortable right out of the box. Love them.
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 04:16:43 PM »
I have two pair one is the Boulet Stove pipes in chocolate and the Boulet Shooter boots in Black shown here http://www.wwmerc.com/cgi-bin/Category.cgi?category=7100&type=store and the Oh and got them on sale for $189.00 with free shipping at the time. They are very comfortable and well made.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 05:09:40 PM »
Another +1 on The Fort's boots. Also, didn't know that Boulet made any period boots, I used to wear some of their modern boots(before I had some foot problems and have to wear custom orthotics), They were about the only brand in the local western store that fit my w-i-d-e feet. The Fort's shooter boots I used to wear also had wide sizes that actually were wide. Some other brands version of "EE" boots are a joke.....

Offline Whiskey Banjo

• Bourbon bullets
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 05:59:33 PM »
Is there a period correct laceup available?  Possibly with a flat sole instead of a heel. I got massive calves that dont let me wear high pull ons without 45 minutes of struggling taking them on and off. And the heel thing is cuz I got vertual flat board feet and heeled boots suck for me to wear. I wear whats called a contractor soled boot everyday.. is there anything similar from the 19th century? Minimal heel laceup? Ive seen a few but they always look like girl boots. What did the miners and blacksmiths and ferriers of the day wear?
SASS#97496. RATS#667

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 06:51:39 PM »
Anything they wore is gonna hurt! IMHO ;D Those boots we showed have elastic tops :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 07:39:34 PM »
If you would like to check out historically made boots and or shoes, made to fit you feet and or calves... check out Mo. Boot & Shoe Co.
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 12:25:50 AM »
Is there a period correct laceup available?  Possibly with a flat sole instead of a heel. I got massive calves that dont let me wear high pull ons without 45 minutes of struggling taking them on and off. And the heel thing is cuz I got vertual flat board feet and heeled boots suck for me to wear. I wear whats called a contractor soled boot everyday.. is there anything similar from the 19th century? Minimal heel laceup? Ive seen a few but they always look like girl boots. What did the miners and blacksmiths and ferriers of the day wear?

The brogans from Fugawee Boott Co. called the Montacello is a period work boot.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline jake1964

• Citizen
  • Liked:
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”  Sigmund Freud

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 11:12:06 AM »
I've owned every pair the Fort has put out, I've even bought the second pair sold on some models, but the folks that developed the boots left the Fort and now own Work-n-Ranch and have a newer models which are far more comfortable and better looking, and the newer Fort Boots are being made by a new manufacturer so I can't comment on how they wear...   

http://stores.work-n-ranch.com/-strse-Mens-Boots/Categories.bok
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline Cfreeman

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2013, 02:18:02 AM »
Are the work n ranch boots true to size? Or do they run big/small?

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2013, 11:56:55 PM »
I have just ordered a set if Cavalry boots from Ca Boots ... I still have to measure myself ... my first custom boots ...so I will let you know how it pans out ....

TTFN,
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Don Nix

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 11:47:36 AM »
I have just ordered a set if Cavalry boots from Ca Boots ... I still have to measure myself ... my first custom boots ...so I will let you know how it pans out ....

TTFN,
have been wearing Champion custom made boots and later Champion attitude (CABOOTS) for 30 years. I had a pair of stove pipe cavalry boots made in 2001 and i'm still wearing them although they have been resoled a time or two. They are light and the liner leather is soft enough to  wear them without socks if you are of a mind to. I just looked at the website last week  as I will probably order a new set of packers in the near future.If their quality hasnt changed you should be well pleased.

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 03:12:09 PM »
A good boot for the price ($265.00) is Tony LLama Shooters boots.You won't find them omline. I order them though a local retailer. 16" Tall and you can build your own boot by selecting a number of heels and toes.
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 04:04:10 PM »
Time to announce the first winners of the BootDaddy Boot-A-Day Tony Lama Giveaway! *drumroll* This weekend's winners are Ricky Son and Terry Phillips! Congrats, guys!
 Want to win a pair for yourself? Like, share and click here to enter and we just might announce you next! http://a.pgtb.me/5D9J4T
 (Mobile Users, click the "Login with Facebook" button!)
Bunch a ole scudders!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com