Author Topic: Starr Carbine in Canadian service  (Read 2759 times)

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
Starr Carbine in Canadian service
« on: March 08, 2013, 08:40:47 PM »
I have acquired a copy of DEFENDING THE DOMINION, by David W. Edgecombe, 2003, Service Publications.

In this great book I have learned something new.  In September of 1866 1,000 Starr Carbines were acquired by the British Government.  800 of them were for the Royal Navy on the Great Lakes, but 200 were meant for the Canadian Militia. Eventually. in 1870, 228 Starr carbines were transferred to the Dominion of Canada.  It seems that none were issued to volunteers during the Fenian raids of 1866/67.

This info seems a bit of a teaser, so if anyone can add anything, go for it.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Starr Carbine in Canadian service
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 12:34:21 AM »
I've had Clive's book for a number of years now, so I was at least aware of the Starr carbines from it (and also from "The Military Arms of Canada" mentioned below.)

I can't find any additional information in my references .... and I have looked through the index for all 40 years of The Canadian Journal of Arms Collecting.  There was one article back in the 1970's by Rene Chartrand on the American breach-loaders acquired in 1866-67, but it dealt almost entirely with the Spencer and Peabody arms, with only a paragraph or two in reference to the Starr .... even less information than in Clive Law's book.  There is also nothing else in the very slender "The Military Arms of Canada" attributed to The Upper Canada Historical Arms Society (six separate contributing authors) published by Museum Restoration Service in 1963.

Small wonder that little is known about the .52 caliber Starr carbines, considering how few of them there were and the fact that apparently they were never issued - at least on any "unit" basis - which is probably attributable to their requiring different cartridges than the .50 caliber Spencer and Peabody arms.  As you may know, the Peabody cartridge is longer than the Spencer cartridge .... but Peabody rifles will chamber and fire the Spencer cartridge (..... not the other way round, however ....)  Accordingly, the Militia Department acquired and issued only .50 Spencer rimfire cartridges, for both, thus avoiding the logistical problems which might otherwise have resulted.
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com