Author Topic: Gun choices... Personalized audit of options and recommendation for Michael Bear  (Read 6882 times)

Offline Michael Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
 :o
Howdy Pards

Here I am with another set of questions.

I'm in search of a perfect sixshooter to match my person.

As you know, I started with 1892 Rossi in .357mag as I like this caliber and will go deer hunting for sure, and will do quite a bit of shooting at the range. No CAS for me.

During the past few months (yes, months) I tried to decide what I want when it comes to revolvers and here is what I came up with: nothing!

I must've read at least a 60 different topics on more than two dozen forums trying to find out what other people like.

I have come to some choices:

1. Colt SAA in .45LC- love the history, authenticity, big bullet
2. Uberti El PAtron in .45LC- love all above plus a price is a little better than Colt
3. Number 1 or 2 in .357mag as I love the idea of a matching caliber in rifle and a revolver
4. I've handled both 5.5 and 4.75in barrels- love them both and can't decide. I'm worried that if I choose the 5.5 I will end up carrying something a little too big at occasions, and if I go with 4 3/4 and needed a longer shot, say 50yds, I won't be able to make it.

I always loved the idea that if I'm going to get a Colt it would be in .45LC, but after all, who is this show for?
I also like the .357mag for obvious reasons and I think it's a better rifle cardridge.
While Colt is my dreamed gun, and I would be willing to spend $1600.00 on the gun (just checked some prices yesterday) there is plenty of great reviews on many Uberti 1873s, EMFs or Piettas slick ups, Taylor's versions, Rugers New Vaquero, etc. There is just too many choices, and I'm going nuts.
I do know that I want color case hardened frame with blue barrel and cylinder, that's for sure.
While I understand the whole idea of a longer barrel=llonger sight radius=better accuracy, I can't make myself believe that 4.75" are that lousy when it comes to accuracy. Now, I'm not the best shot, more of a rifleman than a revolver shooter really, and SAs are not really designed for bullseye accuracy, so is there really that much of a difference?

I'd like to carry it. If not exactly every day, most of the time.
I'd like to take it to the woods, just in case something will try to eat my wife (no real danger in my state anyway).
I'd like to plink with it, and I do know that .38spl is hard to beat in this department.
So, you mighty Old West warriors, let's hear your opinions one more time. Do this favor for your young fellow American, who just turned 28 and had over 35 guns purchased before he got married.
Would love to hear your recommendations. Help.
Much appreciated all of You!

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

Wow you cover a lot of ground there Pard. O.K., starting from the top Your physical stature and race are irrelevant details and the only person that can tell you what the perfect revolver is for you is YOU. Be honest with yourself and ask yourself, “Self, what the heck are you going to do with this gun? If it’s have fun with it and shoot at some targets and do some plinking, then it will all come down to whatever it is that you find most enjoyable. Personally I love the .45 L.C. in the right gun it can be loaded up to .44 Mag. Equivalencies and it’s real easy to load. Even if you don’t roll your own ammo, you can buy the black powder cowboy loads and really get peoples attention. The barrel length isn’t much of problem. If you want to get into quick-draw then the 4 ¾ would do you well. The 5 ½ isn’t all that different to us mere mortals. You will do one of two things. You will persevere, wait and get the Colt in .357 Mag. Or you will hold out as long as you can and buy a clone and for the rest of your life cast envious eyes on the few real Colts that you see around once in a while.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
It's not what we or I like that may suit you , Some are bullseye shooters , or speed shooters, or combat shooters or maybe just plinkers
or in for the history & camaraderie. So our likes may not bracket yours  :)

The best gun is the one you choose to do what you describe , we can say "go to a shoot and try different pieces" however, you don't plan CAS.

Based solely on your parameters

I'd say look at the Ruger OMV in . 357  and Stainless Steel & 4 7/8" barrel.  (Old Model Vaquero)
Yes I saw... "I do know that I want color case hardened frame with blue barrel and cylinder, that's for sure."
I counter with your statment  ... "I'd like to carry it. If not exactly every day, most of the time.
I'd like to take it to the woods"

Is it what I have ?  no ....but then I'm not shooting within your parameters.  :)

when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

Offline petrinal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
the COLT and  the UBERTI have little in common. I would buy UBERTI for CAS and just having fun and a Colt for BULLSEYE competition, as they have a more consistent accuracy than wont let you down as so many times happens to us here, with Ubertis. For collecting, the COLT is also the choice.

but a Ruger is much better and accurate, as they have experience doing great shooting tools,  in most cases, with the right bullet, than most Ubertis, for only a handful of dollars more.

note: I shoot black powder reloads, so the above applies to my Bp experiences only.

all the best.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Well, since you stated you're not shooting any kind of CAS, exacty how "period correct" do you want your pistol to be? For the uses you have listed, I'd pick a Ruger Blackhawk. It, however, doesn't come with Color Case Hardened frame. But if you're going to use .38s for plinking, and maybe .357 for more serious use, and then you've got the adjustable sights to make it easier to use the different loads, and ANY barrel length on one of these will be plenty for 50 yard shots.

An old model 3 screw .357 Blackhawk with 6 1/2 in barrel was my primary pistol for 30+ years untill I got into CAS and eventually wanted something more period correct. For the first several years in CAS, I used a pair of them.

Offline Michael Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
I just found EMF with bp frame in .45LC. Guy offers this for 400.00. What say you people? Sounds like a good deal I think.
It's 5.5" color case with blue.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Sounds reasonable to me, but I haven't been in the pistol market lately, not up on current prices.

Offline Michael Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Bought it. Couldn't resist this offer. The seller is a great guy. I figured, I'll save up, and when I get older my Colt SAA will be still somewhere there waiting for me. OR, when I get the side job I recently estimated, I'll buy it!  ;D
Meanwhile, I'm posting some pictures of the original and my dark plan. Picture number two exactly shows EMF with Colt grips. It'll satisfy me for now
Mine does have a much better finish than in picture number 3, and has a 1st generation frame. Colors match picture number two greatly.
Thank You

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Grips on the top pic look kind of odd-no flare at all on the front side of the grip?

Offline Michael Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
This is actually wrong picture I posted. It's the same gun, but with blued guard and back strap. No brass for me.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Pietta Great Western II  Alchimista with ( 60 Army ) Grips

You did fine, thats just a few $ over Dealer, about $75-100 under retail.

Offline Michael Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Thank You Major 2

I thought I did pretty decent myself. Just couldn't wait any longer and had to get a revolver.
It's not like I don't havy any. Just had a crush on Colt, and I will get it.
It's just a matter of time. With two kids (11 and 1yr) it's kind of tough to put anything away.
I did look at the Alchimista, even held one. Honestly, I must admit that 1851 grips fit me best. I got rather small to medium hands and need a good grip. Beautiful revolver, that's for sure.
I'm reading good reviews on my new toy, plus is a black powder frame, so it does have the look. That's what should've been in the movies I guess, right? and riding along Win 1873 not 1892 like most of them are made in Hollywood. Btw, I think I will send my sixshooter to Turnbull to redo the finish like the first generation Colts had. I ordered 1st gen grips already, so it'll be a looker also. Curly Cole has like 15 EMFs and stands behind them strong, so I don't see a reason why I, at my  rather beginner level, shouldn't like them.
Appreciate the input.

Bear

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Michael,

The Alchimista has a 1860 grip on it, I do have the 1851 grip that came off of my Great Westerns when I turned it in to a poor man's Alchimista.  Let me know.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Thank You Major 2

I thought I did pretty decent myself. Just couldn't wait any longer and had to get a revolver.
It's not like I don't havy any. Just had a crush on Colt, and I will get it.
It's just a matter of time. With two kids (11 and 1yr) it's kind of tough to put anything away.
I did look at the Alchimista, even held one. Honestly, I must admit that 1851 grips fit me best. I got rather small to medium hands and need a good grip. Beautiful revolver, that's for sure.
I'm reading good reviews on my new toy, plus is a black powder frame, so it does have the look. That's what should've been in the movies I guess, right? and riding along Win 1873 not 1892 like most of them are made in Hollywood. Btw, I think I will send my sixshooter to Turnbull to redo the finish like the first generation Colts had. I ordered 1st gen grips already, so it'll be a looker also. Curly Cole has like 15 EMFs and stands behind them strong, so I don't see a reason why I, at my  rather beginner level, shouldn't like them.
Appreciate the input.

Bear

I suppose I mis understood your post above, I thought Photo posted was your gun, pictured is an Alchimista.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com