Author Topic: .45-70 reloading question  (Read 4131 times)

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.45-70 reloading question
« on: February 18, 2013, 11:53:12 PM »
Okay,

My neighbor gave me a couple of spent shells from his box of Hornandy 325 gr bullets to reload for him so he could try 405 gr Lead bullet.  Reloaded them tonight with some IMR 8208 XBR 47.9 grains for 405 Lead bullets.  BUT I noticed that they shells are a tad shorter when I tried to trim them.  I thought that odd.  The trimming gauge wouldn't even come close to the rim.  

I just need to know: this isn't going to be any problem is it?  

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 166
Re: .45-70 reloading question
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 07:49:27 AM »
Do not know, although I have some 45 Colt Hornaday's and they are are also shorter than the other brass I have. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 07:51:34 AM »
Might give some throat leading problems, and it may be best to start low and work up a load, shorter case will change pressures etc a bit.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:20:27 AM »

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 08:44:41 AM »
Due to Hornady's bullet designs many of their cases as somewhat shorter. I have a box of them (20) that I used to sight in my 45-70 Rio Grande and have saved the brass for the day I might buy some of their bullets. It is too short to use with my standard cast bullets.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 12:43:02 AM »
1)  The loading I listed is the minimum load for that powder and bullet, 2)  The loading is specifically for Trapdoor design and my neighbor's rifle is a break singleshot gun (the kind that you break like a double or single barrel shotgun and insert the shell).  Isn't that a stronger action than the Trapdoor?

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 09:18:40 PM »
I am a little concerned.  I have loaded three shells.  One with lowest stated trailboss load and two with above said powder also at lowest possible load.   For trapdoor loadings of course.  .405 gr lead bullet.  But the lenght of these hornandy cases makes me hesitant.  Personally, I think it will be fine, especially since my neighbors gun is a break action gun (like a squirrel gun).   But I'd like to get your opinions just because I have loaded them not for myself, but for a friend and because it is an odd cartridge length.  I have seated the bullets with the groove right beneath the rim of the cartridge. (it's not called a groove, I just can't think of what it's called off the top of my head)

Should I pull the bullet out a little with the "groove" even with where the cartridge rim normally would be (even though it will look kind of odd)??

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 07:20:03 AM »
If you are concerned about too much pressure just pull the bullet out far enough to get the proper cartridge length and at least try ta put a crimp on it. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 08:13:16 AM »
Or better yet don't crimp it at all.

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 06:14:24 AM »
I am not too familiar with shootin smokeyless so I did not feel qualified to advise no crimp with it. WM

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 08:28:38 AM »
I am not too familiar with shootin smokeyless so I did not feel qualified to advise no crimp with it. WM

??? Crimp in most examples is simply to hold the bullet in place during recoil, or in a spring loaded magazine. He's shooting these in a handirifle and or a trapdoor.
 There is no powder that could be sanely/safely used in the 45-70 that would require a crimp for proper ignition.So unless the bullets are to small to be held in place by neck tension, there's really no great need for a crimp, matter of fact most times smokeless or black a crimp can be detremental to accuracy and the major cause of leading.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com