Author Topic: Hand Stitching Leather  (Read 91385 times)

1961MJS

Re: I Need Thread Information
« Reply #120 on: February 01, 2014, 03:45:36 PM »
Hi

I just left the OKC Tandy Leather and bought both white and brown linen waxed thread.  I'm weeks away from actually using it so I don't have an opinion on it yet.

Later

Offline dwight55

• Top Active Citizen
    • Dwight's Leather Shop
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2014, 03:14:17 PM »
Dwight, What did you not like about Springfield's thread ?   Thanks, Jerry

I ordered dk brown and black, . . . 346, . . . and was given the impression it was a waxed thread.

It may have been trucked somewhere within a mile or two of a beehive, . . . that is the nearest it ever came to being waxed.

For me, . . . it was VERY dry, . . .

Also, the Tandy thread measured .029 or thereabouts, . . . the brown was .022 and the black was .024, . . . and simply did not look as good.

I'm certainly no expert, . . . but I know what I like, . . . and it simply was not likeable for me. 

May God bless,
Dwight
If you can breathe:  thank God

If you can read:  thank a teacher

If you can read this in English:  thank a Veteran

Offline onegunred

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2014, 07:05:18 PM »
Okay, so it was the wax and dia. and not the durability of the thread ?  Thanks, Jerry

Advertising

Re: Hand Stitching Leather
« Reply #123 on: Today at 07:41:50 AM »

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2014, 09:42:33 AM »
Dye the thread with the color you will use on the holster and then let it dry good before waxing the thread for sewing.  I have yet to see any thread damage due to leather dye.   

Offline Massive

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: February 05, 2014, 09:29:44 PM »
D 55,  I would try the Z threads.  That is what Tandy sells in 69 thread.  But they also sell the thread you are used to, and that I use in 270, which is a polyester thread.

You  can get the z threads from Tippman.  Z threads are nylon with a normally hard hand to them, a bit like the poly Tandy sells.  And they don't need wax to work properly, however, I haven't used the heavy ones, or know whether they are waxed.  Just ask first.  That is a 1 pound spool.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thread-Size-Z346-Tan/110446270446?_trksid=p2047675.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D389%26meid%3D4635100905133157359%26pid%3D100010%26prg%3D1076%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D11%26sd%3D110446270239%26

Offline Massive

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: February 05, 2014, 09:36:06 PM »
By the way, they have more sizes and colours on their main site.  I prefer to buy off the ebay site.  But they have a lot of sizes from 69 on up 400s and for colours white, beige, brown, black.

Offline dwight55

• Top Active Citizen
    • Dwight's Leather Shop
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2014, 08:06:17 AM »
Thanks, everyone for your help, . . . one wouldn't think just finding a spool of thread would be this exasperating, . . .

So far, every thing else I have tried, . . . to me it does not LOOK right, . . . and the white thread I'm getting from Tandy actually does not like the dye.  It will take it, . . . but it would look better if the thread were colored first.

I do that sometimes by dying the thread itself ahead of time, . . . but I just hate to spend that extra effort and time if I could somewhere / somehow find the right thread so I don't have to.

This waxed thread pulls tight and stays tight for my Boss, . . . even if every now and then I have to take 15 minutes and clean the wax off the thread route.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you can breathe:  thank God

If you can read:  thank a teacher

If you can read this in English:  thank a Veteran

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline Arizona Cattleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: February 06, 2014, 06:15:02 PM »
I use Tandy's waxed braided thread but I only hand stich.  Comes in several colors like black, brown, beige, white, red and blue.  It threads on the needle easy.  Looks much better on a finished project for me.

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #129 on: February 07, 2014, 08:19:23 AM »
Hey all,
I use Tandy's as well, but lately I have found their quality went down, the thread having unexpected weak spots.  So, I am looking about.   I am curious, does anyone know what ply of thread Tandy's is?  There are variety of plys and thicknesses and sometimes I have wanted thinner thread and ended up trying to unwind the Tandy stuff.   I would like to know more about the differences.

Thanks

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: February 07, 2014, 09:53:08 AM »
Zack White Leather has heavy waxed thread in White, Brown and Black.

Offline Massive

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: February 07, 2014, 04:05:00 PM »
This waxed thread pulls tight and stays tight for my Boss, . . . even if every now and then I have to take 15 minutes and clean the wax off the thread route.

May God bless,
Dwight

Dwight, if you are using the Boss, why aren't you using the Tippman thread that I suggested.  That is designed for use in your machine, and comes in useful colours.  I ask because I was thinking of getting it the next time around. I like Z thread, and the price for the size, and their shipping up to here is all good for me.  But if you are running a Tippman machine, and don't like their thread, that would be important info before I invest.

The only company I know that sells thread heavy enough for our work in fancy colours is Weaver (not that you asked).  They now have a retail site, though I am still hoping they list some stuff on ebay.

Also, why are you using 347 thread.  Most people seem to use 270.  I just mention it because 270 and 205 are a lot more common, and they are more than strong enough.  I have some designs where I may have to go to 205 on the bobbin to hide the stitches in thinner material.

Offline Ray

• Active citizen
  • haste makes waste
    • LAW 'N' LEATHER
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: February 12, 2014, 03:19:27 AM »
Only hand stiching after deep grooving with two needles. Holes made by hand chisel pliers and awls and - if nothing helps - with a drilling machine.

When the sewing is done I lock the last two backstiches with a drop of glue (becomes invisible when dry) and finish it with an oversticher for an even look.

Best regards!
Ray
lawyer by profession - leather by passion

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #133 on: February 12, 2014, 11:31:19 AM »
I use this nylon thread in a brown color for nearly everything, unless I want to use artificial sinew. It's tough, it's pre-waxed and it comes in brown. If it comes off the spool with too much wax, I just run it over my thumbnail to scrape off the excess.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/lacing/threads-sinews/1227-038.aspx
SASS #81,827

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #134 on: February 12, 2014, 11:55:51 AM »
I'm going to merge this thread with out hand-stitching thread that's linked to in the FAQ thread. It's good information and that will put it all together.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline fred45

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: December 29, 2014, 05:43:39 PM »
I use a drill press and a 1/16 bit to do the holes, I made a pony on the concept of the one posted on the first page, use 1x3 pine added a bit to the jaws and some leather so as not to scratch projects, I use a chunk of 4" pvc pipe with a slot as a spring, then hand stitch with 2 needles

Offline Massive

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: January 06, 2015, 08:30:19 PM »
http://www.mainethread.com/product10.html

These threads can be twisted to a "bristle", and the whole thing will sew like threading show lace, no struggle.

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2015, 03:03:36 PM »
Do pards know of an off-white linen thread that wouldn't look too new? Trying to get that old-time look.

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: November 12, 2015, 03:59:38 PM »
Barbour's Red Hand Linen comes in a light gray/natural unwaxed linen - Last time I bought some from Campbell-Randall, you might also check Ebay.
For period pieces I use 3 cord (mine is 20/3), and it also comes in 18/3, 25/3, and 30/3 - the higher the first number (the gauge) the thinner the individual cords. I stitch at 8-12 SPI, which is typical for the era we try to emulate.
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2015, 04:07:38 PM »
Chuck, I've been using the Barbours natural thread, but that's pretty much white. I wondered if there was something with more of an aged look, maybe with a touch of tan, the way you see in PI.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com