Author Topic: Frontier Army experiences  (Read 5290 times)

Offline Colt Fanning

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Frontier Army experiences
« on: February 16, 2013, 08:42:39 AM »
Howdy,
I recently purchased a Revolver for $100 whose only markings are Frontier Army on the top strap and the "LG" Belgian proof mark
used prior to 1894 on the cylinder.  The seller stated that the caliber was 44-40.  The Iron although heavily rusted has almost no
pitting.  Other guns I have seen from the period that are this rusted have deep pits which I speculated were due to
impurities.  This conjecture may not be correct.  The action worked ok in Double action but the hammer could not be cocked
for single action.  After some shimming the action works well both single and double action.  This action is an interesting piece
of engineering.  The entire action consists of only three parts.  The hammer and trigger accomplish the entire single and double
action cycle and a third part locks the rebounding hammer from forward motion after the trigger is released.  I have never seen such
roughly made parts in an action but it works perfectly.  A 44-40 cartridge fits correctly in the chambers but the necked portion
is only a slow taper and the front mouth of the chamber measures .453 in!  The Forcing cone is also .453+ and tapers down to  a
.430 bore barrel over a distance of about 1 inch!  I doubt that this arrangement produces great accuracy.  The hammer is shaped
like a Webley and the grip resembles a webley RIC.  The frame is solid with a top strap and loads through a loading gate like a
Colt.
Regards
Colt 

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
Re: Frontier Army experiences
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 10:43:45 AM »
Like this?  Note;  The market on these seems all-over-the-map!

http://www.gunsinternational.com/-Belgian-Frontier-Army-AH1967-.cfm?gun_id=100292028

And this;

"Belgian Frontier Army DA Revolver.

Cal. 44-40. NSN. Bbl. 5 1/2". Typical late 19th century Belgian revolver with wood grips & lanyard ring. CONDITION: all aspects poor to fair. Missing or broken trigger return spring. (01-6419/NW). ANTIQUE. $200-300.

Starting Bid: $100
 Watchers: 1

Poulin Antiques & Auctions: Fairfield, ME, USA

Auction Date: March 10, 2013 "
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Colt Fanning

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 12:08:38 PM »
Howdy,
Yes it is almost identical to that gun except no lanyard ring and it has a finger rest trigger guard like the s&w Russian.
I wonder how common these were in the old west.  I have heard that they were sold by the sears catalog for $3.50.
Regards
Colt

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:18:16 PM »

Offline RedGreen

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 02:14:32 PM »
In regards to your question to how many of these foreign guns were in the old west I would say quite a few cause there were quite a few furoners out there and many probably brought their own. I have ran into many montenegrans down here in Texas.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com