Author Topic: Pietta 1873 in 45LC  (Read 12266 times)

Offline Billy Bristol

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #97003
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pietta 1873 in 45LC
« on: February 15, 2013, 03:56:06 PM »
Anyone familiar with these?
I was looking at a pair at Cabelas. They are on sale for $349 each. Being on a very tight budget I was wondering how they are.
Always knew I was born 100 yrs too late.

New Britain, CT

Offline Billy Bristol

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #97003
  • Liked:
Re: Pietta 1873 in 45LC
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 05:54:09 AM »
They do not look exactly like a Colt but do look like they were made well. So thought I would check on here to see if anyone had used these pistolas.
Thanks for the reply.

New Britain, CT

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 11:49:16 AM »
Should be the same gun as EMF Dakota II, which is the same as the Great Western II only with matte black finish, brass backstrap and trigger gaurd, and non removable cylinder pin bushing. I read the reviews on Cabelas, most were great with the exception of it shooting low and to the left. I have two GW II and both have the front sight filed down for POA, which is common with any of the 73 repros. A little to the left can usually be traced back to trigger control. $350 is a great price, add a set of Lee Gunslinger springs ($29) and you'll have a smooth shooting gun. Good Luck :)
Dakota II

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:54:17 AM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 09:58:45 PM »
If it is a GWII or variant that is an excellent price.  And, the Pietta GWII series is a very accurate rendition of the Colt SAA.

Offline Billy Bristol

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #97003
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 10:13:29 AM »
Thanks pards,

never hurts to know what others who know the firearm.

New Britain, CT

Offline petrinal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 10:19:55 AM »
I have one. Soft steel in frame, very  nice action but with a slow hammer fall, no good for me, as  I prefer a stiff  but fast one, more accurate for bullseye. Very good price. Horrible finish, but very well made. This gun is a good candidate, with that finish, for "ageing".

Offline Michael Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 03:01:23 PM »
Can anyone post any pictures please? This sounds like a mighty fine revolver!
I have Pietta/EMF GW2 in .357 mag, nickel plated (see my posts) and love it!
Excellent workmanship, accuracy and 110% looks!

Offline petrinal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 06:18:28 PM »
you get what you pay for. They cant give you a fine revolver for 350 dollars.

dont expect german or american high grade steel on it.

These italian replicas lack any personality, and they are mainly utilitarian. Sometimes they shoot well and sometimes they are a waste of time. I stopped buying them long ago, but now they gave me one. I will engrave it and return it as a gift to my friend.

so far, I have been scratching it, and it is soft.

I would prefer spending 600 dollars in a used COLT, or 300 in a used Ruger, than buying a new PIETTA. Pietta has allways manufactured their guns in a very nice finish and fit, but with cheaper steel or brass. Soft, in other words.

Offline Roshi

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 11:29:21 AM »
If I could get a used Colt SSA for $ 600 I'd buy several!  I have two Cimarron Pietta SAA clones (Frontier Model).  Both are good handguns for the price.

Offline Pit Mule

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 12:25:45 PM »
Tell you what Billy. In the CAS game if your wife shoots you better make sure her equipment is equal to or better than yours in quality. I have shot Pietta .45's for a few years with 'no' problems stock out of the box. I bought a pair of .45 Pietta's for the wife and they are solid flawless shooting guns. Don't be afraid of them!!!

Pit Mule
fortdesmoinesrangers.com

Fort Des Moines Rangers
Cedar Valley Vigilantes
Zen Shootists
Nebraska Territorial Rangers
Member: The Naughty Posse
SASS #29220 ( Classic Cowboy )
NRA Life
SASS ROII
NRA RSO
Don't underestimate me. I know more than I say, think more than I speak, & notice more than you realize.

Offline Billy Bristol

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #97003
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 02:57:08 PM »
Well the reason I was even looking at them is I am on a very limited budget. I haven't seem a pair of used Rugers for under $1100 and Colts are way out there.
Haven't seen any used single guns for under $600 each.
Seems everyone wants top dollar for their used guns.
And as I said, I am just starting out and on a very limited budget. But I figure I can pick one up every month.
But right now I am trying to get up the money for a Rossi 92. Can get a new one locally for about the same prices I see online.

New Britain, CT

Offline Six Gun Saint

• Top Active Citizen
  • You can't have no idea how little I care...
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 03:16:25 PM »
I'll give you a fair warning on that R92-it's got a speed limit.  You can't race it like you would a '73, and it WILL pop the nose up on several rounds until you get the feel of what you're doing, and how your gun functions.

Now, you could ask nine fellas and get nine opinions on it-this is my experience-lever it smooth, don't hit the bottom of the stroke like you're trying to break the lever out of the damn rifle, and you'll be fine, just fine.  Issue is, apparently it was designed to feed a bottleneck round (like the .44-40, .38-55, things like that), and so the feed ramp likes to pop the nose up if you hit it too hard.  Again, your mileage may vary.

As to the pistols, no experience with Pietta, but I've heard nothing but good things about them.  IF you could swing the extra $100 per gun, I'd suggest snagging the Uberti.  That's what I shoot, and they're just as smooth as you please.  Course, I ran into a STEAL on 'em I tell ya what-I got mine for $300 per gun, and it was the MATCHED PAIR of 'em.  Can't beat that with a stick, I don't care WHO ya are (.45 LC, what's more)!
The above may or may not be influenced by medications and/or alcohol...  (i.e. don't blame me if it's bad spelling/incoherent)
--------

July 9, 2011-The Birth of Southern Sudan!

Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh, Wgah'nagl Fhtagn!

Do not believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you!-Courage Wolf

The gods only go with you, if you put yourself in their path. And that takes courage...-The Crystal Cave

Hiding won't help you, you see...  I control the bullets-I make them go where I want.

A gun's power isn't in it's muzzle velocity or caliber...-Revolver Ocelot

WE DON'T RENT PIGS!

Offline Pit Mule

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 05:15:20 AM »
I,m with SixGun_Saint on the 92. The rifle is where you put the money.
fortdesmoinesrangers.com

Fort Des Moines Rangers
Cedar Valley Vigilantes
Zen Shootists
Nebraska Territorial Rangers
Member: The Naughty Posse
SASS #29220 ( Classic Cowboy )
NRA Life
SASS ROII
NRA RSO
Don't underestimate me. I know more than I say, think more than I speak, & notice more than you realize.

1961MJS

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 10:59:23 AM »
Well the reason I was even looking at them is I am on a very limited budget. I haven't seem a pair of used Rugers for under $1100 and Colts are way out there.
Haven't seen any used single guns for under $600 each.
Seems everyone wants top dollar for their used guns.
And as I said, I am just starting out and on a very limited budget. But I figure I can pick one up every month.
But right now I am trying to get up the money for a Rossi 92. Can get a new one locally for about the same prices I see online.

Wish I'd have known, I saw a guy walking around the Chisholm Trail Antique Gun Club show on the 9th of March wanting $350.00 for an Uberti SAA in .45 LC I think it had a 4 3/4 barrel, but I didn't look because I'd just gotten a SAA two months ago.  I have no clue as to condition.  No one bought it either, at least that I'm aware of. 

Prices at the gun show on guns were HIGH and there were few buyers.  The one ammo table appeared to be having problems with the hoard of roaches scurrying around the table.  I did buy 200 rounds of .45 LC from them hours later though. 

Later

Offline Billy Bristol

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #97003
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 01:55:21 PM »
believe me, if I could afford a 73 I would buy one. But for now I am buying what I can afford. That's why I am starting out with the 2 1851 sheriff models I have. If I was still working I would have no problem buying better firearms. But I am collecting about half of what I was making. So doesn't leave much for guns. I have the 2 51's and a stoeger double so the rifle will work for now. Then I can save up for the cartridge pistols. I just want to get shooting for now. Not looking to be the fastest(yet).

New Britain, CT

Offline Six Gun Saint

• Top Active Citizen
  • You can't have no idea how little I care...
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 04:16:08 PM »
believe me, if I could afford a 73 I would buy one. But for now I am buying what I can afford. That's why I am starting out with the 2 1851 sheriff models I have. If I was still working I would have no problem buying better firearms. But I am collecting about half of what I was making. So doesn't leave much for guns. I have the 2 51's and a stoeger double so the rifle will work for now. Then I can save up for the cartridge pistols. I just want to get shooting for now. Not looking to be the fastest(yet).

Same boat is me, mate.  Sure, I told you my feelings on the R92, but I shoot one just the same.  Mine's .44 Mag, and if I do like I said, don't slam it open, etc., it runs fine.  Ain't no speed gun, but it gets the job done, and I only gave $300.  We're talking all said and done, leather and all, I've got less than $1500 wrapped up in my gear-got KILLER prices on all of it.

Bide your time, get what you can afford to get into the game, and then, when your'e able, get more!

I mean, as I've said multiple times in multiple threads-do we really NEED an excuse to buy another firearm? ;)
The above may or may not be influenced by medications and/or alcohol...  (i.e. don't blame me if it's bad spelling/incoherent)
--------

July 9, 2011-The Birth of Southern Sudan!

Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh, Wgah'nagl Fhtagn!

Do not believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you!-Courage Wolf

The gods only go with you, if you put yourself in their path. And that takes courage...-The Crystal Cave

Hiding won't help you, you see...  I control the bullets-I make them go where I want.

A gun's power isn't in it's muzzle velocity or caliber...-Revolver Ocelot

WE DON'T RENT PIGS!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com