Author Topic: CPA question  (Read 6477 times)

Offline Tall Dark Slim

• Talkative and generally full of it, but harmless nonetheless.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Carolina Gunslinger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
CPA question
« on: February 05, 2013, 09:45:53 PM »
Silly question about a great rifle: is it CAS legal? I'm on the fence of ordering one and am curious about this one issue.
Thanks!

Offline Tall Dark Slim

• Talkative and generally full of it, but harmless nonetheless.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Carolina Gunslinger
  • Liked:
Re: CPA question
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 08:31:42 AM »
It's a Stevens model 44 1/2.
www.singleshotrifles.com the CPA website
I'd really appreciate a knowledgeable answer on this.

Offline Lucky R. K.

• Purveyor of Fire & Brimstone
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 12:30:53 PM »
It is a single shot rifle. It should be legal for side matches and the Plainsman match but I do not think it is legal as a main match rifle. 

The rules say the rifle should be an original or replica of lever or slide action rifles manufactured during the period from approximately 1860 until 1899 incorporating a tubular magazine and exposed hammer.  With the exception of the exposed hammer the Stevens 44-1/2 does not fit the specs.

I have an original 44-1/2 in 38-55 that I use in side matches at some of the larger shoots where single shot matches are offered.  It is a tack driver.

Lucky

Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:27:27 PM »

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 04:13:03 PM »
It is a single shot rifle. It should be legal for side matches and the Plainsman match but I do not think it is legal as a main match rifle. 

The rules say the rifle should be an original or replica of lever or slide action rifles manufactured during the period from approximately 1860 until 1899 incorporating a tubular magazine and exposed hammer.  With the exception of the exposed hammer the Stevens 44-1/2 does not fit the specs.

I have an original 44-1/2 in 38-55 that I use in side matches at some of the larger shoots where single shot matches are offered.  It is a tack driver.

Lucky

From this answer I gather that the 1894 series of Stevens Favorites would be allowed.  Is this Correct?
"Been there, But no 'Tee Shirt' survived.

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 11:03:40 AM »
Iam NOT a Rules Authority, but I believe Stevens 'Favorites', the 1894 or earlier series, are qualified, as stated in the Reply citing the General rules, for side matches.  Being SINGLE SHOT designs they do Not have a 'Tubular Magazine' which seem sto be a requirement of Rifles used in Main Matches.

Just my understanding of what has been said already.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

PS: I also believe a 1890 Winchester, in .22WRF, would also be allowed in Side Matches.  Chev. William
"Been there, But no 'Tee Shirt' survived.

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 08:46:18 PM »
Lever Action Rifles used in long-range matches, whether revolver or rifle calibers, must be
originals or replicas of rifles manufactured during the period from approximately 1860 until
1899. Lever or slide action, tubular feed, exposed hammer rifles or carbines are allowed,
providing they are in safe working condition.

Single Shot and Buffalo Single Shot firearms must be originals or replicas of single shot rifles
manufactured during the period from approximately 1860 until 1899. All rifles MUST have
exposed hammers. The caliber and cartridge rules for the “Rifle Caliber” firearms noted above
under basic rules also apply to Single Shot and Buffalo Single Shot rifles with the exception
Buffalo Single Shot rifles must be .375" bore size or larger.
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com