Author Topic: Taurus Gaucho Grips  (Read 11072 times)

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Taurus Gaucho Grips
« on: February 01, 2013, 07:41:09 PM »
A shooting friend just bought a Taurus Gaucho SA in 45 Colt and wants to replace the factory grips with wooden ones similar to what Ruger puts on their SA revolvers. I checked a number of websites and couldn't find anything in line as to what he wants. He doesn't care to invest the dollars many of the gripmakers want for their fancy woods. He just wants some plain rosewood/walnut type grips that aren't approaching the $100.00 price tag I found on line. What say any of you! Any info much appreciated.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Rebel Dave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Taurus Gaucho Grips
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 11:02:41 PM »
Crow Choker

You can get grips for the Gaucho, at Dixie Gun works, PN WP 7604. They are rosewood, but they will require fitting, as they come quite large, also order the SP 0507 screw and nut, for the grips, as the one that comes with the grips is not too nice. I had to fit them to my Gauchos, and they came out real nice. It's not that bad of a job.

Also , you can get grips for the Gaucho at gungrips , I am not familiar with their stuff.

Dixies grips and screws are around $40.00, gungrips are about the same.

Keep those Gauchos going, they are good pistolas. Mine are polished stainless, in .357 cal. I wont get rid of mine.

Rebel Dave

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 11:11:27 PM »
Another source might be gun shows. I found two sets for my USFA Cowboy at a recent show. I just took the gun and looked for something that looked like it would fit. I still have one set. PM me if he wants to try them.  They are two piece.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:03:21 PM »

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 09:28:53 AM »
Just wondering, being the Gaucho is a Colt Peacemaker type clone, will grips for the Colt frame also fit on the Gaucho? I'm not that familiar with the gun. Suspect if Taurus made any changes in the grip frame angles or kept the Colt lines in place. Thanks for the info, will check on info and pass on to friend. Everything I've heard about the gun, ie magazine reviews etc, were all good. I see Taurus discontinued it from their lineup. Wonder why? They must have some former Colt higher-ups on their staff, that is, sounds like management decisions made over the years at Colt!!!!!
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 09:34:49 AM »
Just wondering, being the Gaucho is a Colt Peacemaker type clone, will grips for the Colt frame also fit on the Gaucho? I'm not that familiar with the gun. Suspect if Taurus made any changes in the grip frame angles or kept the Colt lines in place. Thanks for the info, will check on info and pass on to friend. Everything I've heard about the gun, ie magazine reviews etc, were all good. I see Taurus discontinued it from their lineup. Wonder why? They must have some former Colt higher-ups on their staff, that is, sounds like management decisions made over the years at Colt!!!!!
Most of the time grips from one Colt frame won't fit another Colt frame . Supposedly the reason is that Colt mounts the grips on the gun before final grinding and shaping of the grip frame so theoretically , no two are alike .

Offline sack peterson

• Very Active Citizen
    • Stag Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 02:08:46 PM »
I compared Gaucho grips with gen 3 Colt grips, and tried swapping grips back and forth.  The usual wise words about variances and tolerances will apply, but I find it fair to say Taurus used the Colt G3 grip profile for the Gaucho.   Its about right on the money as it can be, basically identical, pin hole is in the same spot.

Offline DocWard

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 12:36:11 PM »
I need to visit here more often! I just now found the "clone" forum. :o

I also have a pair of Taurus Gauchos that I would like to get some different grips for. What is involved in fitting grips to a gun? Are the ones from Dixie Gun Works a bit more substantial (for lack of a better word)? I would like something that fills my hand a little better than the stock grips.
Now you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 07:48:59 AM »
I passed the info Rebal Dave gave about Dixie's Rosewood WP7604 grips to my friend and Sacks info about the Gaucho grip frame simialr to Colts 3rd Gen revolvers. He contacted Dixie and talked with them, ordered, and installed. He advised they were a little oversize, esp in the backstrap area. He also had to modify the pin hole on the grips somewhat, sanded them down, put some Tung Oil on em, and is a 'happy camper'. I haven't seen them yet, but he advised it didn't take to much sanding to fit. Were around $33 and change with shipping. According to him also, they fit alot better in his hand than the factory, ie, not as thin.

Offline DocWard

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 09:54:51 PM »
I passed the info Rebal Dave gave about Dixie's Rosewood WP7604 grips to my friend and Sacks info about the Gaucho grip frame simialr to Colts 3rd Gen revolvers. He contacted Dixie and talked with them, ordered, and installed. He advised they were a little oversize, esp in the backstrap area. He also had to modify the pin hole on the grips somewhat, sanded them down, put some Tung Oil on em, and is a 'happy camper'. I haven't seen them yet, but he advised it didn't take to much sanding to fit. Were around $33 and change with shipping. According to him also, they fit alot better in his hand than the factory, ie, not as thin.

Thanks! I will look into them.
Now you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.

Offline heartlandsales

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 11:57:51 AM »
I've seen grips for the Taurus Gaucho manufactured by Ajax .  However, they were imitation ivory. Not sure if they do any wooden grips or not..Another source for imitation ivory grips is Sid Ryan from Tupelo, MS which also is the birthplace of Elvis Presley...good luck on your quest...from the Heartland

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com