Author Topic: 1911 R1S - first impressions  (Read 1884 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1911 R1S - first impressions
« on: February 01, 2013, 04:09:41 PM »
Since making the original posting below, I did a thorough comparison with the blued R1 I've had for a while, and couldn't be happier with. The stainless steel version comes up a poor second choice. It fairs even worse when compared to a Series '70 Gold Cup that has digested several thousands of IPSC 'major' loads.

I've contacted the dealer about returning it unfired. I hope that this isn't typical of the quality control of current Remington R1s.

Well, after the appropriate waiting period (during which I could have caused any amount of murder and mayhem with the guns I currently own), my Remington R1 in stainless arrived.

Overall, it has a very smooth, almost 'melted', satiny finish in a very subdued silvery colour. I was hoping that the top of the slide would have a bead blasted finish, and I may get that done for purely cosmetic reasons. The black 'three dot' sights really stand out against the silver slide.

The slide to frame fit is not as tight as on my blued R1, the amount of play reminiscent of a GI 1911; i.e. it rattles when you shake it!
I had a NIB Colt Series '70 that did the same thing. Maybe it is intentional to prevent galling, but looking at the lack of tool marks on the gun, that seems unlikely.

This doesn't delight me, but experience tells me that it won't wear beyond that and will function reliably. I still get the odd bobble with my blued R1 when using 180 gr SWCs after 500 rds+. Feeds 200 RNFPs and 230 RN like a 1911 should.

Unlike the blued R1, it doesn't have sharp edges at the front of the mag well and the bevel is barely there! This is easily corrected, but shouldn't be necessary on a new gun.

The safety snaps on and off with authority (I like that) and I've ordered a ss ambi I may have fitted to the gun. The checkering on the double diamond grips is not as sharp as I would like, but they may be replaced by a set of BLACK grips for the pure sex appeal.

The slide stop is grooved as opposed to checkered like the blued R1. The trigger pull is not bad for a Series 80-type linkage, better than what came with the blued version.

The firing pin spring feels weak, and will be replaced with a stiffer spring to prevent the firing pin from being driven forward and held protruding from the breech face by the firing pin plunger, as happened with my blued R1. I am also toying with having the Series '80 linkage removed, but that is a future consideration.

I have seen an R1 advertised with a ss slide and a blued frame as it comes from the factory. This used to be all the rage when I was active in IPSC eons ago. I have the option of mixing & matching with these two guns - if I ever get bored.

In the meantime, if it ain't broke .....   Now for some range time!
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com