Author Topic: Tokarev Collecting  (Read 19261 times)

Offline HKUriah

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Tokarev Collecting
« on: January 29, 2013, 03:29:20 PM »

Ever since I got my Romanian Tokarev a few weeks ago, it has become apparent to me that collecting these pistols could be an interesting hobby.  And I am not talking about getting Russian/Chinese/Romanian/Yugo/whatever variations.

Rather, since getting mine, and see examples of others in both pics and gunstore shelves, I have observed that there seem to be dozens of different ways that an aftermarket safety was put onto these things in order to import them into the country.

Some of these safeties look quite good, some look downright horrid, and some of them even look like they could be made abidextrous just by modifying the safety itself and not the gun any further.  (Of course, I have no clue as to how functional and/or user friendly the different ones are.)  Then there are the ones the GI's brought back from Korea and Vietnam that don't have a safety on them at all.

If the purpose of gathering a collection of the same type of gun is to have varients of it, then this pistol certainly opens itself up to that criteria, even if it's an artificial one.

Anyone have any thoughts on the idea?

I never thought getting into Zoot Shootiung would open up another door for enhancing my gun collection, but it looks like it just might....

Offline Border Ruffian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Tokarev Collecting
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 07:57:37 AM »
The Tokarev pistols are certainly very interesting.  I have a Yugo M57 I bought for my collection simply because I served with the US Army in Bosnia, and the M57 was the pistol that was carried by all the warring factions.  The M57 has a longer grip and carries one more shot in the magazinebut the magazines are not interchangble the Soviet pattern T-33 Tokarev pistols.  I like the slender profile of the Tokarev, it's a nice pistol. 
http://oldschoolguns.blogspot.com/  A place for Classic Firearms

Offline Sean Thornton

• Top Active Citizen
  • Bentonville, NC 2010
    • The Henry Repeating Rifle
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 11:34:47 AM »
My Tokarevv TT is Romanian but I put a Russian 1936 dated slide on it.  I also got another barrel so I could blank adapt it for use in WWII reenacting. It operates with blanks about as well as it does with live ammo.  The blanks are made from 5.56 brass and are cheap to make once set up for it. I find I am shooting more blanks than live ammo through it. It is one fun gun.
"Victory thru rapid fire"
National Henry Rifle Company"
SASS 5042 LTGR

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:28:13 AM »

Offline Sean Thornton

• Top Active Citizen
  • Bentonville, NC 2010
    • The Henry Repeating Rifle
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 08:41:24 PM »

My TT with rear sight star on the Russian slide
"Victory thru rapid fire"
National Henry Rifle Company"
SASS 5042 LTGR

Offline Tsalagidave

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 06:05:28 PM »
I logged some trigger time using a Police issued TT30 when I was at the Riga PD shooting range in Latvia. Typical Warsaw pact arm. What it lacks in sophistication, it makes up for in durability. It felt like an under Powered M1911 but I really enjoyed the way it handled and shot. Here is a closeup of the sidearm complete with scotch tape repair to the handle.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 06:58:21 PM »
For years, the best body armor in SEA was 'Tokarev-rated', because the round had great penetration.

My own is a Type 54 CHICOM built in 1966, that an NVA paymaster didn't have any further use for.

When he did, he wrapped it in plastic, before he shoved it into his holster - which I thought was quite considerate of him.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Tsalagidave

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 06:20:09 PM »
For years, the best body armor in SEA was 'Tokarev-rated', because the round had great penetration.

My own is a Type 54 CHICOM built in 1966, that an NVA paymaster didn't have any further use for.

When he did, he wrapped it in plastic, before he shoved it into his holster - which I thought was quite considerate of him.

Scouts Out!

In case I haven't said it before George, thank you for your service.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline Jrw8214

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 07:44:38 PM »
I love my Romanian Tokarev. It was the first purchase i made after i got my C&R. My dad liked it so much i got him one for his birthday that year. We both consider it to be a superior firearm when compared to normal 9mm loads. Unless i had +P Hollowpoints, id carry a 7.62x25 any day over a 9mm.
I recently removed the worthless safety(the real safety as we all know is the halfcock in the hammer). Im now looking for something to plug the holes with. Any suggestions?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com