Author Topic: EMF/Pietta Great Western 2 .357mag Nickel limited edition question  (Read 9998 times)

Offline Michael Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Here is the description:
NEW direct from EMF/Pietta, Made in Italy, Pietta Mfg, Great Western II model 1873 Colt Clone SAA Single Action Army, 357 Magnum caliber and will also shoot 38 Special including +P, Factory Bright Nickel carbon steel construction, Nickel hammer, Nickel trigger, Correct Colt Patent dates on LH side of frame, 6 shot fluted cylinder with NO cylinder ring mark, 5-1/2" barrel with Fixed sights, LH barrel stamped "Single Action Army Model 357 Magnum", Crisp 3 lb trigger, Limited production checkered Imt Ivory aka Ivorite grips.
Unfired direct from EMF/Pietta in correct original box with papers and hang tag, Box shows wear from packing and unpacking, Pistol is blemish FREE bright nickel, Whatever you see in pictures that you do not like is dust, oil or camera flash.

Haven't receive the gun, but it looks like Curly's except for ivory being fake on mine.
I will post the pictures once I pick it up from my ffl. Is this a good gun?

My question is... How is the nickel finish holding up when shooting? I'm occasional shooter due to work schedule. 50-200rds per month or less. Should I just use .38spl cowboy loads, or fmj are fine? What about the .357mag rounds? Would those be fine to shoot since the revolver is chambered for .357mag? Does the nickel will feel it? Would it peel or crack when using these loads? I would not want that for sure. Any ideas as far as cleaning goes?
 Maybe I should've get regular CCH/B for practicality? (it's next on my list anyway, but in 45LC).
Thank You in advance for all help.
Michael

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: EMF/Pietta Great Western 2 .357mag Nickel limited edition question
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 01:45:41 AM »

Pix above are of the custom nickel, and the Turnbull CCH (the pix don't really do justice)

Bear,

I have had my GWs for about 5-6 years (I have 7 of them.) they range from a pair of 357 with the original Turnbull CCH to a pair of cons. numbered engraved ones, that look just like the ones in the new Guns of the Old West. My nickel pair have the special "custom"nickel plating...I met the plater once at one of the gunshows. He saw my guns on me and came up and asked if they were GWs, and told me about the plating. (he recognized them from about 100+ feet away. go to my webpage and you can see pix of all my guns (http://sdough.smugmug.com)

Now for care of the finish. Niclel will hold up if properly done. keep them clean and oiled. (I always clean them right after shooting.)
my normal cleaning is BreakFree all over, with a copper brush and swab down bore, and oil in bore. I have used some of the FrogLube CLP, and a little goes a long way.

Sixgun Shorty put me onto Renaissance Wax Polish. (SS is well known in the Colt world. Anyways this polish is VERY expensive and "eveen less" goes a long way. but is the finest stuff for nickel finishes.

as for my GWs I love them. and my Nickels are my BBQ guns to be sure, and the real ivories are getting better with age (and that says what I think if I put real ivories on to a "clone"
but If you can afford it, I would say to back it up with a set of everyday guns and try to get some of the older Turnbull finished guns.
any other questions just holler.

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Michael Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 03:36:17 PM »
Thank You Curly. And since you offered to be bothered....... here is a list of next questions.  ::)

I don't know whether the finish on mine is by Turnbull or not. Any wat to check it? (call Becky with serial number maybe?)
Do you shoot it a lot or only on sunday?
Is there any signs of pitting, scratching or such on yours?
Do you shoot 357 or 38 in it?
Only cowboy loads?
What about the FMJ?
Would regular leather holster help with wear more or it's fine? Should it be maybe made of something softer on the inside you think?

Thank You in advance,

Michael Bear

Advertising

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 02:23:49 AM »
The Turnbull finish is on the earlier GWs, they are very vibrant. the newer gws have a reddish cast to them. If you look on my webpage, Old Tops "home made" Alchimesta has the current cch on it.

I shoot cowboy about once a month, and sometimes do some target shooting in between. My nickel guns are in 45lc. and I use only lead rounds in all my cowboy guns, I use BearCreek moly coated bullets. they don't lead up as much in fact pretty much not at all.

my Gws are evenly divided between 45lc and 357. Old Top shoots only 44/40. in my 357 I load a 38sp round.  My nickel guns have no scratches, cylinder rings or holster wear...(which is a good reason for a nickel gun anyways.

My holsters are made by RedDog and they are all lined. I do have 2 sets of Duke rigs by El Paso saddlery and they have a pigskin lining..

keep the questions coming and when you get your guns we want to see pix.

curley
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Offline Michael Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 08:21:52 PM »
Hello Curly

Thank You for reply again. I am posting some pictures that I got from the gentleman who sells me the gun. I should receive it within next 5-10 days or so. I'm sure I'll have some more questions later. Thank You again for the information.

Sincerely,

Bear

Offline Michael Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 08:30:26 PM »
I would have to wait and see if that's Turnbull. You said that earlier models had markings on the barrel. This one does have them. So could that be Turnbull finish then?
I ordered some (300) 158gr RNFP cowboy rounds. That should do for now.

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 10:51:20 PM »
I would have to wait and see if that's Turnbull. You said that earlier models had markings on the barrel. This one does have them. So could that be Turnbull finish then?
I ordered some (300) 158gr RNFP cowboy rounds. That should do for now.
I don't believe any of the plated guns were done by Turnbull. They are known for their bluing and their bone color case hardening.

Offline Michael Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 11:03:27 PM »
I have no idea. That's what Curly said.

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 11:30:57 PM »
I have no idea. That's what Curly said.
I think if you read his posts, when mentioning Turnbull, he was referring to his case hardened Great Westerns, such as the one pictured with the rifle.

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 01:32:39 AM »
Doc's correct. The plated guns were done by the guy I met at the gun show...(I wrote that he recognized his work from over a 100 feet away...

sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

curley

and Turnbull doesn't do them for EMF at all any more.
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 06:23:02 AM »
Cimarron still offers the true bone case colored finish but they switched from Turnbull to Classic Guns.

Offline Michael Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 02:30:31 PM »
I picked it up a couple of days ago. Boys! What a gun! I'll be posting some pics or video soon!

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 08:36:28 PM »
I have an EMF Great Western II Custom , which I believe was done by Turnbull for EMF . It has one piece faux ivory grips and looks as good as any of my USFA guns .

Offline Michael Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 10:18:05 PM »
We may have the same one then.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com