Author Topic: Keeping your hat on your head?  (Read 4309 times)

Offline Bonnie_blue1861

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Keeping your hat on your head?
« on: January 22, 2013, 02:56:35 PM »
I'm sure I cant be the only one that deals with this. I was just out in the back yard.... using my trusty pooper-scooper. (one of the joys of owning 2 German Shepherds)

The wind was blowing like the dickens and it's 25 degrees out.  Off comes my cowboy hat.... rolling across the grass and right across a froze poop party. My hat band (which I suppose I really need to stitch fast to the hat, then popped off and kept rolling.

Not that I mind that last part but anyway...aside of attaching a stampede string, how did they... or do you guys currently keep your hat on your head, when the wind is blowing? It's not like my hats loose or too big for my head...but off it sails.

I don't want to have my hat tied down (with a stamped string) to walk across a parking lot...times like when I'm going out to eat with the wife etc. But I don't want to walk around with my hand on top of my hat to keep it from flying off either.

Ever notice on those old westerns, that no matter how hard the cowpoke rides or how fast the cavalry charges, their hat never comes flying off? (and their not even wearing a string to hold it on)

I'd be loosing mine in the opening scene of the movie. ;D

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: Keeping your hat on your head?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 06:59:52 AM »
A small strip of double sided carpet tape applied ta the inside a yer hatband, the one inside yer hat, otter do it.  :P ::) ;) WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 09:57:33 AM »
My nice hats have a hard brim. I turn my head slightly into the wind to help keep'm on. My work hat has a real soft brim that will bend and fold back in high wind.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:56:35 AM »

Offline Thumper

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 11:16:46 AM »
A "stampeed tie/string" is the answer. On my hats, I put a grommet on either side above and in front of my ear on the brim close to the crown, and run a long shoelace thought one side around the crown and down the other, trim as necessary and tie the ends together.  I use a bead as a slide and tuck it inside my hat till I need it. No, it doesn't fall  down when I take off my hat because I tuck it into one of the folds on the top of the crown.

Offline Don Nix

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 11:44:13 AM »
Thumb Tacks

Offline Bonnie_blue1861

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 11:52:08 PM »
All great answers...especially thumb tacks and Velcro...uhhmmm... I mean strip of double sided carpet tape  :D

I suppose I'll try the stamped string method on one of my hats and see how that works out.

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 07:09:38 AM »
Like Shotgun said jes tilt yer head inta the wind, course that requires that ya know which way the wind is blowin. A lot easier in real life than on the PC.  ;) WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Pitchy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 05:35:45 PM »
Could always try this but one a little lower..  ;D

USAF 72-76
DAV member

Offline Bonnie_blue1861

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 06:23:04 PM »
Pitchy...Yea...I recon that would work pretty well...but not to mention, that's a really good look for you.

Perfect look for when you have to go into town... shopping, etc.

Offline Pitchy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 06:35:03 PM »
 :D laughing, they think i`m crazy enough already.
On a serious note this hat stays on good with a tie down.

USAF 72-76
DAV member

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com