Author Topic: 'Star Trek' Replicator Guns  (Read 1944 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
'Star Trek' Replicator Guns
« on: January 17, 2013, 01:59:59 PM »
Those of you that watch "Sons of Guns" might have seen the episode where they built a plastic "Zombie" gun platform with a 3D computer generated 'replicator'. Then they built in the steel parts.

Producing an 'all plastic' gun has already been done. It successfully fired several rds before it became unsafe. With readily available technology and soft ware, this isn't the stuff of movies, but real life. ANY 3D object can be replicated.

The point? Passing all the laws will NOT prevent people who can't get a gun any other way from building/making their own. Even if it self-destructs eventually, it can be used to capture a more functional weapon. Of course, you are then a "manufacturer" and answerable to the BATF, but if you're already a criminal, this won't keep you awake nights.

Remember the .45 ACP "Liberator" pistol of WWII? It was made of steel stampings and probably cost pennies to make. A collector pal has one and he has fired it - once! Recoil was memorable and it didn't ruin the gun.

Wood and plastic 'guns' of the James Bond spy genre have been out there for a long time, undetectable at airports if disassembled, ammo carried in simulated ball point pens, etc.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 'Star Trek' Replicator Guns
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 04:04:32 PM »
There are a lot of people with home shops that can build a gun if they so desire. Any Machine Shop Could built nearly any small arm up to and including anti-tank weapons. Honest folk don't do those things, bad guys do. Laws are designed to punish the wicked or they used to be.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 06:30:22 PM »
Sons of Guns  :D :D :D :D :D :D  What bunch of nimrods! JMO real responisble firearm owners don'y need shows like that.
Bunch a ole scudders!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:40:01 AM »

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 08:28:19 PM »
Actually, you can manufacture a weapon. You cannot sell it or transfer it.
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 11:39:45 AM »
Rick - You missed the point: modern technology makes it easier to make guns.

"Sons of Guns" is like any other "reality show", just happens to be about guns. Love 'em or hate 'em, they focus attention of people enjoying and having fun with guns of ALL types - full autos, artillery, etc.

They do a lot of educating by bringing you into the shop, along with a lot of celeb gun owners. That ain't bad. Same goes for "Myth Busters".
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 11:51:08 AM »
Shotgun Franklin is right. If an Afghan tribesman in a cave in the Khyber pass can crank out functional copies of Lee Enfields, what could someone with a lathe and milling machine do? How much tooling would it take to make, for instance, a copy of an M-2 Grease gun? Probably the hardest part would be the magazine.

But in reality(if not in politics) Magazine capacity is only important when you're in a firefight, not when shooting helpless unarmed people. For instance, if the police are on the scene in 5 minutes, I have a Trapdoor Springfield and a Mills belt that holds 44 rounds. And it won't last for 5 minutes of steady shooting.

Course maybe I shouldn't write that, some politician might read it and start going after those evil "single shot assault rifles"

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 11:53:57 AM »
The only one i watch is American Pickers and even that one gets off track now and then,the gal on there reminds me of those ole color wheels for christmas trees..Them guys on Sons and such just waist time and exspensive ammo,thier gonna have to stop usin my last name too ;D
R.Son ~ESQ~

Besides didn't the nut job in the school use handguns??
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 12:05:20 PM »

Course maybe I shouldn't write that, some politician might read it and start going after those evil "single shot assault rifles"

It is sad, but our best defense for owning firearms is the best ammo for Anti's to go after them.

"And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms....The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson  Oh so now we are threatening the United States.'

And the list just goes on and on.

High fire power of "Assault Weapons" and "high capacity magazines."  So what will the Anti's say when they add up cowboy action shooting - 10 rounds of rifle, 4 rounds of shotgun and 10 rounds of Revolver fired under 45 seconds. 

"We must ban dexterity and mental acuity to protect the feeble and slow minded."
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 03:01:33 PM »
While we're talkin' plastic 'replicator' guns, check out: USFA Zip .22 on the net.

Takes Ruger 10/22 mags and looks bad ass mean. If it comes in pink, my wife will want one fer shure.

All computerized plastic moulded with steel parts where necessary. Put on a 25/50 round mag and you've got an 'assault pistol'.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com