Author Topic: Just got off the phone with Taylor's...  (Read 7597 times)

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Major General, VIII Corps, Commander Middle Dept.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Savior of Washington D.C.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Just got off the phone with Taylor's...
« on: January 10, 2013, 09:36:50 AM »
They STILL haven't received any shipments of new revolvers.  I placed my order with Cody Conagher last June.  You read that right, June.  The kind lady at Taylor's explained to me that they are totally at the mercy of Uberti in Italy.  That they ship guns out pretty much when they feel like it.  This is rather disappointing to say the least.  I've got a brand new Mernickle rig waiting in to go.

FRUSTRATED!!   ???
Retired USAF, 20 years defending my beloved nation
NRA Life, SUVCW, GAF#164, AF&AM, AASR

"This is my native state.  I will not leave it to serve the South.  Down the street yonder is the old cemetery, and my father lies there going to dust.  If I fight, I tell you, it shall be for his bones." -Lew Wallace, after the 1860 election

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Just got off the phone with Taylor's...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 10:02:15 AM »
Join the crowd.  I've had Uberti parts on order for over two years.  Most of the Uberti lineup are very limited production and it can be a LONG time between production runs.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 02:49:17 PM »

Yup.  Uberti's penchant for making everything in "runs" can be maddening.  They do a run of '73s and may not do another run for 18 months.
Same thing with the different hand guns.  The only time they turn out gun specific parts is when they do a run of the guns the parts are for.
drive ya nutz.  There's a reason I retired from the trade.  Going nutz.

Coffinmaker

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:10:22 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 02:53:38 PM »

Forgot to mention, VTI is in the same boat.  They may only get parts shipments two - three times a year.  And then not necessarily what they order, but what Uberti has.  Take it or leave it.  What a nuisance.

Coffinmaker

PS:  I too have parts on order I've been waiting for, 18 months to two years.

Gen. Jackson

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 02:57:11 PM »
They STILL haven't received any shipments of new revolvers.  I placed my order with Cody Conagher last June.  You read that right, June.  The kind lady at Taylor's explained to me that they are totally at the mercy of Uberti in Italy.  That they ship guns out pretty much when they feel like it.  This is rather disappointing to say the least.  I've got a brand new Mernickle rig waiting in to go.

FRUSTRATED!!   ???

General,

I really hate to tell you this as it may make you feel a little more frustrated. But I recently got my model P from Cimarron in less than 5 days. Was airmailed to my gun dealer and in my hands in five days time.

Perhaps cancelling your order and seeing if Cimarron can help you might be the ticket. The model P of course is the more original version anyway, if you are looking for that sort of thing.

See here, this is the one:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,46660.0.html

Gen. Jackson

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 03:07:42 PM »
By the way, if you need any help with it, I could call Cimarron and see what they have. Basically your gun dealer needs to be on file, if not, the first time the dealer must call them and give them all the info they want. This took several back and forth phone calls to get it right.

TIP: Make sure you get the name of the person you are dealing with at Cimarron from the get go, and if you need to make follow up calls insist on talking to that person even if you need to hold for a little while. It worked like a charm.

UPDATE:

Just got off the phone with Cimarron. They have an Uberti .45 Model P old style, but it is in 4 3/4

Also, they do have an original style SAA from Pietta that is .45 and 5 1/2 - nothing wrong with Pietta.

General. I will email you the name of the person that WILL help you right away. Sent the email to the one you have posted here. Let me know if I can help in any other way.

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 01:04:06 PM »
I see that Cimarron has a Pietta 7th Cav model in 7 1/2.  Anyone have one of those?  Mind you, my revolvers will need to be 7 1/2.  That's what my Mernickle rig is setup for, and I just like the big ones.   ;D

"This is my native state.  I will not leave it to serve the South.  Down the street yonder is the old cemetery, and my father lies there going to dust.  If I fight, I tell you, it shall be for his bones." -Lew Wallace, after the 1860 election

Gen. Jackson

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 04:02:52 PM »
I see that Cimarron has a Pietta 7th Cav model in 7 1/2.  Anyone have one of those?  Mind you, my revolvers will need to be 7 1/2.  That's what my Mernickle rig is setup for, and I just like the big ones.   ;D

This person did a review on one I believe.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,45655.0.html

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 05:55:33 PM »
Thank you General.  A gentleman as always.

Gen. Jackson

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 01:26:46 PM »
General,

Have you made any decisions about Cimarron? When I called they did have some of the 7 1/2 barrels, but I did not know that is what you were looking for. Was the fellow that I named able to help you?

Let us know what develops as it would be interesting to see what you acquire. Its certainly is unfair to have to wait so incredibly long to acquire one of these revolvers. You must have exceptional patience.

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 05:26:36 PM »
General,

Have you made any decisions about Cimarron? When I called they did have some of the 7 1/2 barrels, but I did not know that is what you were looking for. Was the fellow that I named able to help you?

Let us know what develops as it would be interesting to see what you acquire. Its certainly is unfair to have to wait so incredibly long to acquire one of these revolvers. You must have exceptional patience.

Gen'l, I did indeed speak to the fellow at Cimarron.  He was very helpful and enlightened me on the ordering situation.  At least I understand with Cimarron that they have a more hard timetable for importing their firearms.  The lady at Taylor's had no useful information as far as when they receive their shipments; which was quite disappointing to say the least.  I have also found what I'm looking for at another place out west, and I will be calling them tomorrow.  I will pass along the details as this endeavor unfolds.

1961MJS

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 06:43:37 PM »
Hi General

I picked up a Cimarron Pietta Cavalry model (7 1/2 inch barrel) from a place in OKC.  I paid a little under $550.00 including tax.  The place is a little high, but then they HAD ONE.  It shoots Remington Lead round nose 250 grain bullets to point of aim.  The bluing is substantially better than I"m used to on bulls-eye guns.  The hammer is the old style and the trigger is pretty good.  I shot it at 25 yards and was disappointed, but then remember I'm a bulls-eye shooter 10 shots in 2 inches at 25 and 50 yards on a great day.  I rented a 5 1/2 inch barrel Beretta from the range and didn't like it as well.  The 7 1/2 inch barrel cuts down on muzzle flip as does holding your thumb on the back of the cylinder.  I'd have liked to have paid less, but I"m happy with what I got.

Later Y'all

Mike
Norman OK

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 06:50:44 PM »
Cimarron, Taylor's, EMF and everyone else all get their guns from the same places.  (Primarily Uberti or Pietta.)  They are all just importers and are all subject to the same vagaries of when the guns are coming in.

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 02:30:03 PM »
Cimarron, Taylor's, EMF and everyone else all get their guns from the same places.  (Primarily Uberti or Pietta.)  They are all just importers and are all subject to the same vagaries of when the guns are coming in.

Right you are sir.  I always understood that in the back of my mind I guess.  It was just frustrating that Taylor's was vague in their answers to my questions, while the fellow at Cimarron didn't hesitate to explain everything to me, including the importation process. 

With all that said, I have found a pair of irons!  Snake River Arms Co. had exactly two in stock.  I have just sent the payment and await their arrival.

Gen. Jackson

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 12:11:46 PM »
With all that said, I have found a pair of irons!  Snake River Arms Co. had exactly two in stock.  I have just sent the payment and await their arrival.

Wow that's fantastic !

I bet you will be ecstatic. Take some pics when you get them along with your holster.

By the way, it looks like the cylinder pin is the 2 stage type ( necessary for importation purposes ). You can replace them with the standard Uberti pin for maximum authenticity, but other than that - its as true to the original as possible including the correct screw for holding the pin in place. And it looks like its stamped U.S. which is also correct. Great find at a reasonable price. Let us know if it is really the 2 stage pin, and if you will at some point replace it.

Lastly, since USFA is no longer in production, then that makes these the most authentic reproduction of the govt. issue Colts currently being made. Custer and his troops would have had these at the Little Bighorn. Very sweet.

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 01:11:19 PM »
I have my two but they are ASM one in 45Colt BP frame and the other in 44WCF.
Took awhile to get the 45 but have it now.

What you have to remember is Uberti is only a small company. Still waiting on a barrel for my Opentop in 44.
Buffalochip

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 08:17:00 PM »
Wow that's fantastic !

I bet you will be ecstatic. Take some pics when you get them along with your holster.

By the way, it looks like the cylinder pin is the 2 stage type ( necessary for importation purposes ). You can replace them with the standard Uberti pin for maximum authenticity, but other than that - its as true to the original as possible including the correct screw for holding the pin in place. And it looks like its stamped U.S. which is also correct. Great find at a reasonable price. Let us know if it is really the 2 stage pin, and if you will at some point replace it.

Lastly, since USFA is no longer in production, then that makes these the most authentic reproduction of the govt. issue Colts currently being made. Custer and his troops would have had these at the Little Bighorn. Very sweet.
\

You don't need to replace the two stage pin.  Simply grind it about 1/4" shorter and shove it all the way into the frame.

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 04:14:05 PM »
I just picked up the irons; still in the bag and greased.  I have to work tomorrow, so it won't be until this weekend before I get pictures up.  I've got to get them cleaned and then shipped off to Cody Conagher for an action job.

Offline texcl

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 10:59:10 AM »
I've gotten where I just buy my guns from Gun Broker, I can usually find what I want without the wait for at least $100 less than ordering one from the dealer. For example I just bought a new in the box cimarron model p (uberti) with USA finish (try finding that in stock at a dealer) for $550. My dealer would have charged me at least $700 and would have had to wait months.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com