Author Topic: Frank James 1875 Remington  (Read 14949 times)

Offline Border Ruffian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Frank James 1875 Remington
« on: January 06, 2013, 05:44:33 PM »
Does anyone know what happened to this gun?  It was surrendered to Gov Crittenden in October 1882.  Is it in a museum, a collection, or has it been lost to history?  I would hope it was preserved and may have the chance to be seen by the public.
http://oldschoolguns.blogspot.com/  A place for Classic Firearms

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Frank James 1875 Remington
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 01:47:21 AM »
75 Remington sr no 5116, and his holster, that was given to his doctor at the time of his surrender is pictured on page 175 of
RL Wilson's book the Peacemakers. The gun and holster previously was in John Bianci s possetion but now resides at the Autry museum in Los Angeles.

check it out.

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Border Ruffian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 06:54:10 AM »
Thanks Curley!
http://oldschoolguns.blogspot.com/  A place for Classic Firearms

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:16:32 AM »

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 01:41:59 PM »
I have seen it several times. when John had it at his museum, he had it on a manniquien that looked like Frank. I would love to have that gun.
I have a pair of cons. sn antique 75 replicas. just shot them last month for the first time in a while.

curley
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 12:22:55 AM »
If I had that gun I would do what I could to see that it got back to the utry Museum or maybe another museum that lots of people visit. A piece that historically significant, be it a gun, a pair of boots, a knife or anything else should be in a place where the public can see it. It shouldn't be hoarded away by a private collector.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 06:52:47 AM »
While a laudable thought, most museums are stuffed to capacity with items the public never sees.   They only have so much display space and in the interest of not assaulting the public's eyes, displays are not busy per say.    I have some bronze age items that an individual got all indignent about being in an individual's possesion.   Called me a tomb raider, and several worse names.  This was in a college course for bronze age history.   I patiently waited (not easy for me) when he popped out with the "They belong in a museum".   I said they were, I bought them at the auction the museum had to have to raise funds.  They have been in a box in the museum for 70+ years when I bought them.  They had never been displayed and have been seen by more people since I bought them.   I agree with the major pieces like Frank's gun, being in a museum, they are a draw and that is what museums need.  Just my $0.02

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 03:01:23 PM »
Mogorilla - I believe that you have hit the nail on the head. The difference is in how many people would want to see Frank's old gun Vs. how many people would want to see The Arc of The Covenant. From the museum's point of veiw, it's "display space Vs. budget". From the public's point of view, it's "what's important to me Vs. what everyone else in the U.S. wants to see".
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 05:26:21 PM »
Before you get your knickers in a twist - 'read' the above comment, and you'll see that it already 'is' in a museum...

It's 'in' the Gene Autry Museum in Los Angeles, where it's on display...

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 05:52:55 PM »
Have another snort Scugbuffle,or you been smokin them El Liberale ciggaretts again :D :D :D ::) :D

The one i wanna see is Dinky Daltons gun! :) :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 03:41:13 PM »
Why are you jumping to conclusions again? Oh yeah, I remember, you just Have to denigrate anything that I say. What I was saying was in reply to the person that stated that he wanted to have that gun for his own, Curley Cole I believe. I merely stated that it should be in a meuseum rather than in a private collection because it was historically significant enough to rate that sort of treatment. I never said or hinted that it was not and/or should not be in the Autry Meuseum.

Rick - I don't drink alcohol and I don't smoke.

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 07:08:31 PM »
 ;D That's a good thing.
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 10:58:57 PM »
Buggs

Just got around to reading your comment about putting it back in a museum.....etc...well that is a find thought but in reality museums don't really do that. ESP. the Autry..

John sold his museum stuff to Autry at a very good price in hopes that the stuff would be displayed for us the public. And in reality the Autry has systmeaticly dismanteled the pieces and also sold off a good portion of it to U guessed it to private parties and even destroyed items  that John had made at great expense for display.

So, John Bianchi would most likely disagree with out on this point.

and so as my dream would go I would keep it and show it to everyone that would want to see it.
curley
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 03:57:07 PM »
Here it is, from the Autry -

Offline Nimble Fingers

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 09:32:54 AM »
Sorry not to have seen this post until now.  I am a firm believer that Frank James' Remington is in the possession of Bill Koch, who also owns the Billy the Kid Tintype.  And since he sued Christie's for seeing him 4 bottles of wine that Thomas Jefferson supposedly owned, I am thinking he would make sure that he got the authentic one.  I saw it in his collection that he displayed in WPB FL around 2012.  I worked as a consultant for his company and had the chance to talk with him as we had something in common with Frank James at a Christmas party he threw for his employees.  My great grandfather was kidnapped one night and taking to the James hideout where he then took a bullet out of Frank James. I told him that story but he was more excited to find out that I did Cowboy Action shooting and wanted me to show him how.  Never did get the chance to do that but never forgot that moment either.

Oh and just to get real crazy he also has Serial # 1 of the Colt Single action Army!  Along with the Volcanic, Henry and Winchester collection including a couple of 1 of 1000 examples!

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 01:32:56 PM »
Most museums have so much stuff that they can only display part of it.  The RCMP Museum in Regina, Sask rotates their stuff so that if you come back 6 months later you will see different artifacts.  They have some Cavalry items from the Little Big Horn in their collection, that was acquired from the Sioux when they crossed the medicine line into Saskatchewan running from the Blue Coats.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2017, 07:50:59 PM »
I,just found this great thread,,read the news paper account about "Frank's" gun he gave to the Gov.,,,with no serial #,,but if you will scroll to the "Left" there is a funny story about a coyote shooting,,or "missing",,happened up in Ore-gon,,1899,,which rifle do ya"ll think the Missouian was shooting??? Oh,yea the fella'r was on a moving train. The post was by " Dingus"

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 09:19:52 AM »
The article also stated, this was the gun, that Frank James carried during the war and raiding.  ?? 
News reporting ... ???

But next door was an article about Jeff Davis's guns.  The story Slamfire mentions, is worth the read.

National Congress of Old West Shootists 3633
Single Action Shooting Society 88462
Society of Remington Revolver Shooters
The Sublyme and Holy Order of the Soot
"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question." - Yogi Berra

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2017, 02:55:38 PM »
The article also stated, this was the gun, that Frank James carried during the war and raiding.  ?? 
News reporting ... ???

Of course it was. Along with his trusted Tommy gun and Glock.  ::)

Them newsmongers don't know any better.

Just consider yourself lucky they don't mention Frank James's AK 47.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com