Author Topic: What is THIS???  (Read 13430 times)

Offline John Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What is THIS???
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 08:25:14 PM »
I don't remember the "ham & lima beans"...?

Then you missed some fine eating! :)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 09:01:42 PM »
I don't remember the "ham & lima beans"...?

Count selective amnesia to be a blessing.   :o
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 09:46:48 PM »
The canned cake wasn't bad but dang it was dry.
I never much trusted the canned fruit.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 07:52:43 PM »

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 07:56:15 AM »
My can opener is in my truck and has been in every one I've owned since '68. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 09:00:04 AM »
I think those are like what they gave us when I was in basic(1976). When I was in Germany '76-80, they didn't have cigarettes anymore. I don't remember ever getting bread in them either. Sometimes they would serve them to us in the field kitchen, they would take out all the main course cans, close the boxes, and heat the main course cans in hot water. Then when you came through the line, alll the main course cans were upside doun, so you couldn't pick what you wanted. All the guys at the front of the line picked the larger cans, they had stuff like beans, spaghetti, beef(?)stew, and the ones at the end of the line got stuck with the small cans of pork or beef and grease(dog food), or even worse......the green scrambled eggs.

But when they gave out the boxes unopened, if you got one with a big can main course, then you got stuck with a small can dessert, like dry pound cake, or the worst.....fruitcake! But when they had a small main course, they usually had canned fruit for the dessert.

Offline Lucky R. K.

• Purveyor of Fire & Brimstone
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 09:01:47 AM »
My can opener, date stamped 1951, is on my key ring and has been for many years.

Lucky  ;D
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 09:17:13 AM »
Dyooever yoozit?   ::)
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 06:57:51 PM »
I can't tell all you Great Americans how much it has ment to me to read all these memories.....  Thank You for YOUR Service.....  God Bless eveyone of you also to those who just read and remembered....  Thank You!

Here's to: Ham 'n Mudderpuckers { ;D}....  John Wayne's....  Peanut butter bombs/candles.... C-4 Stoves... and Fruit Cake inna Can... ;)
8)
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2013, 10:39:43 AM »
Howdy
Pre MRE While at Ft. Benning we had the delicious C Rations . And it was luck of the draw . If you were lucky you didn't get the Beef and Boulders . When we got sent to Fort Riley in 1983 they were just starting to use MRE's and the dehydrated Strawberries were good so in a few years were discontinued .

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 09:28:55 PM »
Grumble......  Make up my mind.....Am I hungry, or do I have nausea?  Maybe I'll have to go dig up some C-rations from the bomb shelter, just to try.

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2013, 11:51:18 PM »
I know what it ain't and it ain't food ;D :-\
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 09:09:19 AM »
A few thoughts on "c-rats" from an old Army vet.  The first one I ever ate was  WWII issue and it was horrible!  I think was beef in axle grease sauce or someting.  Had a couple of Korean war ones after that.  Still not impessed.  All the ones I ate after that were Viet Nam issue.  The beans and weenys were pretty popular.  I liked those.  My favorite was the chopped ham and eggs.  You had to really heat them up real good to make 'em taste good though.  The Viet Nam era beef ones were'nt too bad either.  Most GIs did not consider the pork ones fit for human consumption.   ::)  The best cigarettes and candy bars seemed to come in the worst meals.  They were 4 cigs in a little flip top box.   Now those canned fruit cakes were just considered to be cruel and unusual punishment.  In fact, we used to play a little game with them called, "Let's see how far into the woods we can throw the fruit cake"!   ;D
Now those little p-38 can openers came 4 to a 12 meal case, so you'd have to wait for one, open your cans and pass it on to one of your buddies.  The last guy to use it would hang onto it so he would't have to wait at the next feeding.  Of course, eventually everybody had one.  (See below).

I happen to have a bunch of those p-38 can openers in new condition.  If any of my Pards here in CAS CITY would like to have one or two of them private message me your mailing address and I'll send 'em to you.  No charge.   8)

PS... My nephew, currently serving in Afghanastan, tells me today's GIs call MREs "Meals Rejected by Ethiopians"   ;D
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2013, 06:14:31 PM »
I probably don't remember the "ham and limas beans" because I had them once and forgetting them was simply the best thing to do with them.
But, in all honesty, when you are hungry, you would be very surprised at what you will eat and be glad you had to cut a can open to get at it!

DBC,

I was also quite fond of the "Chopped ham and eggs"
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 12:19:32 AM »
Those p-38 can-openers are great.  I have one on my key ring already (gift from U.S.A.F. veteran dad) and it has worked some really odd jobs.  Did you know that you can field adjust a Remington hammer spring screw with one?  And of course there is camping when you need a can opened (Gee, actually using it in it's intended manor   :P ).  You can also start fires with it.  All you need is a piece of flint from an old-school deer hunter in the camp, strike 'em together and , viola! nice sparks.

BTW:  Those MRE's are known in the Forest (mis-) Service under two names: Meals Ready to Expel and Government Funded Population Control. :-X

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline John Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 07:54:53 AM »
In the mid-60s we had some dehydrated rations that we called lrrps, perhaps the fore runner to MREs.  They came in plastic bags, you just added water, hot if you had it, let them soak for a while and eat them with the plastic spoon we each carried.  My favorite was little fish in rice with hot peppers.

Offline w.b. masterson

• William Barclay Masterson
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 02:01:05 PM »
You know, I've always wondered how the federal government got out of liability  for providing cigarettes (sometimes to minors) in those C rations.  Any lawyers out there that want a good lawsuit????
"There are those who argue that everything breaks even in this old dump of a world of ours. I suppose these ginks who argue that way hold that because the rich man gets ice in the summer and the poor man gets it in the winter things are breaking even for both. Maybe so, but I'll swear I can't see it

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2013, 02:32:54 PM »
Sir,

Are you a Vet.?
If you are, then you will know proving wrong doing by the Federal Government is very difficult.
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2013, 11:11:15 PM »
Howdy
The ham & eggs I was the only one in my squad that liked it . So there was always someone willing to trade . The life of a grunt . ;D

Offline lonedog

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2013, 06:08:57 PM »
The spaghetti and meatballls, beans and meatballs, and beans and franks were the best.

Cut up the too hard marble cake or pound cake and put the chunks in the canned peaches was a treat.

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 10:53:15 PM »
GREEN SCRAMBLED EGGS?!?!?!?! :-X :-X :-X   I think I'll stick to solid food.  The one thing that should have been in C-rats was Lucky Charm cereal.  I really can't tell if they are sugar-coated cardboard or food.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com