Author Topic: USFA IS Great  (Read 4923 times)

Offline dutch harbor john

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
USFA IS Great
« on: December 28, 2012, 10:03:57 AM »
Merry Christmas and happy New Year's to all.
I recently had to replace the cylinder pin for my SAA. That night after work I emailed USFA if the pin was available and how much it was. The next morning I received a reply from USFA and she gave me the price with shipping. I gave her payment and the pin was sent out the next day. I received the pin and now all is well. I just wanted to let you all know my experience with USFA. I do hope they will continue to make these fine six shooters.

John

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: USFA IS Great
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 11:27:52 AM »
Thanks, John.  That's the first positive news we've had regarding USFA in some time!
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 12:43:38 PM »
Howdy
I know most of us don't care a whole lot about the zip guns BUT we sure LOVE the Single Actions they make . Maybe my NEWS YEARS RESOLUTINS should be to order a NEW single action from USFA . HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE .

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:15:40 PM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 03:26:55 PM »
Since they'd sold off the machinery, and let the experienced production staff go some time ago - if you want one of those revolvers, Gun Broker will have one in your holster a lot faster than USFA will.

Getting a spare part - one that apparently didn't go to a supplier/vendor to settle past debts - isn't quite the same as actually producing an entire weapon.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Invinoveritas

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 03:55:21 PM »
I am a car guy and a small time collector. One of my favorite cars I own (2 in fact) are Ford GTs.  The GT has not been made in over 6 years. It continues to appreciate , and the owners continue to have a VERY active forum.

Lets hope the same happens here. :)

Offline The Eastwood Kid

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 05:51:00 PM »
Hey John,
  Glad to hear that you were able to get your part.  Just curious though - what would cause you to need a new cylinder (base) pin?

Offline dutch harbor john

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 06:26:13 PM »
Hey John,
  Glad to hear that you were able to get your part.  Just curious though - what would cause you to need a new cylinder (base) pin?

Thanks for the replies. Eastwood, I have a .45 acp cylinder and I ran 300 rounds through it. Winchester 230 gr FMJ over 5.5 grs of Win 231. Didn't have the Chrony that day. This is my Kimber load. When I went to clean it I had a heck of a time removing  the cylinder pin. It had a few scuff marks on it but not bad so I polished it with very fine emerory paper. Smooth as glass. The pin would go in but would hang up the last 1/8 in or so. I think it is bent slightly, just enough to hang up. The new pin works just fine. I haven't had a chance to go to the range. My idea for shooting the acp fmc through it was to polish the forcing cone so I don't lead up with the .45 Colt cylinder. I've tried Unique, Trail Boss, Win 231 and Universal Clays over 250-260 gr cast bullets and all lead the forcing cone and first inch of barrel as well as the cylinder chambers. Tried bullets sized .452 through .454. with no luck. Different alloys from 10 to 15 brinell and or softer but nada. No wheel weights available here so can't go there. I do have soft lead and tin. Any thoughts on a load? My next adventure will be using blackpowder if I can't find a white powder load. I just don't want to completely tear the gun down for a cleaning once a year. Thank you all and have a great new year.

Offline The Eastwood Kid

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 06:40:33 PM »
Thanks for the reply, John.  And Happy New Year to you too as well as everyone else on the forum.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 04:25:28 PM »

Way too much leading.  Slug your barrel, then check cylinder throat diameter.  It sounda like your cylinder throats are under size.  Recut the forcing cone to 11 degrees.

Coffinmaker

Offline mtone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 06:20:46 PM »
When I asked about the specs awhile back, I was told the cylinder throats were .451 and the bore .450.  Theses are the US made specs not sure about the Italian.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 10:13:05 PM »

The "specs" and what is actually delivered are normally two entirely different things. 

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com